Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maryland Baiting tactics -- sitka deer >

Maryland Baiting tactics -- sitka deer

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maryland Baiting tactics -- sitka deer

Old 09-28-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Maryland Baiting tactics -- sitka deer

Recently started hunting MD this year. What are some secrets about baiting for deer. I put out corn, but it doesn't seem to attract deer. I have seen a few nice bucks and many does, but the bait piles literally have not been hit. Is there scents or are there are baits that may work better? Do deer like it more when the bait is off the ground? I have no clue my state does not allow baiting.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maryland Baiting tactics -- sitka deer

well, I hunt MD and I have been putting out 40lb bags of corn since early AUG and let me tell you my game cam must look like a disco ball going off at nite, Ive went through 2 bags a week and 6 rolls of film in 5 weeks!! Almost all pic are of deer eating the corn, some squirrels and coons too. But mainly deer alot of different deer too, some are regulars (every nite) but some Ive got once or twice and that was it. I probably have 8 different bucks on film and have seen 4 others that I dont have on film. (my area is not super laden with bucks usually)

p.s. get my corn at walmart I think its moultrie feeder bags
Old 09-29-2004, 07:06 AM

First off you can't compete with the acorns that are falling like rain right now. The deer are eating them up. I wouldn't start baiting till late season when it's cold and there's snow on the ground, corn on top will bring them in.

Mossy is having luck because his bait pile is "established" meaning that the deer have been hitting it for a while, before the acorns started falling.

Mossy, you buy all that corn at Wal-Mart? Isnt there a feed store around you or something? Isn't Wal-Mart like $10 for a 50lb bag? I get mine at $7.50 for a 100 lb bag. Might want to do some shopping.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

keystoneanglers

1st choice;
I go to a local produce farm with apple orchard. I buy every Mc Intosh(sp) apple I can get my hands on. BTW - I only buy 2nds, much cheaper.

These apples (Only Mc Intosh) have never failed to draw deer from every farm around. A thin skinned apple with a sweet aroma deer can not resist. I use it on clothes,boots,rub on tree stand as cover scent. I've had deer among other critters follow my boot scent up to tree stand! I throw bushells approx 50-100 yrds from stand to draw deer in AND cover human scent. It has never failed. I've seen them go thru 3-4 bushells in 3-4 days - amazing!! I like to smash the apples on top of corn I've spread out.

2nd choice;
If your putting out corn,try shelled corn as it won't have the scent/your scent and every other tom dick and harry that touched the ear corn. Spread it out to keep fresh. If it gets mouldy,nothin will touch it except hogs and tree rats.

3rd choice and don't laugh;
Buy 2-3 bottles of pure vanilla. Put in clean scent bottles and hang 3-4 around stand. Deer will come out and scent the area for the stuff. I watched a Doe 4 yrs ago come out and scent for the vanilla. She found it in tree and stood on hind legs to get at it. I nailed her as she came down on all 4.

4th choice;
I have about a dozen oak trees in my yard. I wait until all acorns have dropped and then bag em in construction bags (300 lbs+). I spread out in 2-3 key spots on hunting farm. It takes a while but when they find em they're gone in about 2 weeks.

Last but not least;
Keep your bait whatever it is at least 40-50+ yrds from stand. If it's to close deer will scent you and your stand OR you'll get busted as you walk into your stand. After you bait your area - STAY AWAY FROM IT - TOTALY AWAY! - or they will only hit it at night - if ever.

Best of Luck
Old 09-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mossy, you buy all that corn at Wal-Mart? Isnt there a feed store around you or something? Isn't Wal-Mart like $10 for a 50lb bag? I get mine at $7.50 for a 100 lb bag. Might want to do some shopping.
$4.95 for a 40lb bag......come on Solax you know how cut throat Wal Mart is.... you think they'd be under sold by my local MA and PA feed store that has been in buisness for 60 years?
Old 09-29-2004, 07:23 PM

Not to butt in, mossy33oak, but $7.50 for a 100 lb. bag is a good bit cheaper than $4.95 for a 40 lb. bag.
Maybe solax is onto something...
Old 09-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

hey keystone, were ya hunting at in md? were ya hunting sika at ? is it private or public?im going down on the muzzleloader hunt to try and kill the big boy , its funny were i hunt down there im the only one that has maryland tags out of around 15 trucks , word of a hot thing must tracel quick in pa. lol i used to hunt on taylers island and about 1 hour after daylight 15 pa guys would walk the marsh in a line and they would not stop until they hit the woods, everytime them guys kill kill kill damn it must be nice well im out of here gl with the baiting
Old 09-30-2004, 07:32 AM

$4.95 for a 40lb bag......come on Solax you know how cut throat Wal Mart is....
That's not too bad. But when you buy from the Amish around here and you make sure they know it's for your chickens then you don't have to pay taxes. It's not my fault if I set it out for my chickens and the deer happen apon it.

Good luck to you. How's that baitin' going, have you been out? Pretty soon you'll be a master at it!