Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Pre rut deer tactics? >

Pre rut deer tactics?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Pre rut deer tactics?

Old 05-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pre rut deer tactics?

I'm going to be hunting Fulton County, Il the last week of October this fall and would like to try some new tactics. The farm I used to hunt used to be pretty good no matter when I hunted - opening day thru gun season. I had the deer patterned extremely well there but I can no longer hunt that farm. I will be hunting with some buddies with an outfitter the last week of Oct. and do not know the property at all so I will be at the outfitters mercy. Just looking for some pointers to put the odds more in my favor. Is this a good time to start rattling, grunting, using decoys, etc.? What works best for you guys during this time?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:53 AM

Default RE: Pre rut deer tactics?

Bait, ow did I just say that . I wish I could help, I am a miserable deer hunter. If I can't find any scraped I just wonder around the woods with my bow draging on the ground.

Good luck, hope some onecan help. You have alot of time.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

I will be hunting scrapes and funnels most likely. I'm sure that I will find deer and get close to deer. I'm just looking for a little extra to help close the deal. I haven't rattled much or used grunt tubes etc.. I have a little success with scnts and have never used a decoy. Just wondering if anyone else has at this time and what has worked best for them.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

last week of October, my fave time! low hunting pressure and the bucks are just starting to move! there are just a few early hot does out there and that is the key. So, look for the areas that seem to be really getting torn up with buck sign and hunt the funnels leading to those areas, especialy near thick cover. A lot of corn is gone by then so I like to be adjacent to unpicked corn if i can find it. The big boys are not crusing yet so they are still hugging cover, but much more likely to be seen in daylight than during what i call the mid october lull. Hunt the funnels near thick cover with a lot of buck sign around them and the nearby food sources, some light sparing and/or grunting often has worked for me there at dawn/dusk. It is not yet time to exclusively hunt where the does are. Well thats my opinion, it makes me see 'em. good luck!!
Old 05-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

....i have never used scents other than put a dab near the shooting lane to stop the deer (will not go into why, they actually do atract deer for some i guess. lol.) and am not sure what kind should be used at that time....
Old 05-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

My brother showed up last year with the "Buck Bomb" (couldn't believe it). Said his buddy used it and had some story of maddness.
I used mine on day 2. It was a bomb allright. Another guy swears by the code blue and yet another drags pure vanilla though the woods.

I don't use anything anymore and just find where they are and am prepared to move if need be. Scent, sound and site free for me is my goal. Just let them think it's just another beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Get to know the animals and read the signs Is another approach. If the place is tore up the animal that did it is aggresive and will respond to like aggression. Know a guy who drove a deer out of it's mind in a rage and came with in a tree trunks distance to him and a boy he had with him. His dad watch from a distance the whole show. The boy paniced as you can imagine.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Banned

I have had success with decoys and also scared deer with decoys. Does don't like them and this has got me in trouble. I had a buck spot my decoy setup at approx 150 yds one day. He was across the field and I was setup with aRedi-doe and a foldout Renzo deer decoy. He came in perfectly andI was setup downwind so that as he approached from downwind he walked right by me and offered a great shot. I have also had bucks act nervous and leave. I had a button buck walk up to my Redi-doe and sniff it's rear. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I use mine in conjunction with rattling and tube grunts. I think if wereyou I wouldjust hunt the funnels, bring your lunch, and a urinal, and don't leave the tree; thatis the best way that I have found to hunt the pre-rut. Leave the decoys behind.Do a little grunting and rattling and hunt the funnels. Bucks are on the move during pre-rut and I like the funnels.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys! I'm a little skeptical about decoys. Like Hardcore said, they might work for you at times, but against you at other times. I like hunting funnels and will try a little light rattling and grunting. I relly haven't rattled much and I had one smaller buck come in last year while grunting softly. I haven't done either much though since I really didn't have to on the property I used to be able to hunt.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Id stick with funnels and stick close to cover or buck bedding areas. Look for hot sign and hang 50/60 or so yards downwind of any hot sign tying to catch a buck scent checking for early does. Being careful not to bugger any bedding areas. If you see any crusing going on you might get alittle closer to the doe groups if the first option isnt producing.