Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground Blind Tactics for Deer

Old 09-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Default Ground Blind Tactics for Deer

I have recently picked up a ground blind, killed a spring gobbler out of it, and now want to video a deer hunt out of it with my Bow. I have heard to brush them in and that you dont have to brush them in. I have also heard that you need to let the deer "get use to it" and also have heard to hunt the set that same day. What really works?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ground Blind Tactics for Deer

Brother I have tried them all and have been most successful with them brushed in and been sitting a few weeks...I will also say that I have harvested animals the same day I set it up too, the areas I hunt are all thick and I always brush them in regardless if I am just going to hunt it a couple days or not.... Best of luck to you this fall..
Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Brush it in if you can... As far as leaving it set up...it just depends... sometimes deer will notice any little thing out of place, and sometime they will be curious of new things.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like them. I wear black tops and do brush rthem in. I also use the chair blind and it is great for ad hoc set ups and moving around hunting
Old 09-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put mine up and left it there for a wek before i hunted it, i Also brushed it in really good and killed a mature doe out of it...
Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you decide not to brush it in, won't the deer get used to it and realize it's not a threat?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:17 PM

I believe the deer are not bothered by it at all..as long as you can call and be scent free..I hunt in arkansas in the foothills of the ozarks..last year i set one up on a steep hillside that had been logged about 10 months prior..it was actually a barren landscape but the blind blended in perfectly..mind you this is during the rut..i started calling about 7 in the morning and instantly a 4 point came walking down the hillside straight to me within 20 yards..it payed no attention to the blind and it walked down the hill..i called to it again just to test it..he turned around and came straight to me again and continued walking up the hill right beside within 15 yards this time..trying to figure out where the call came from..obviously i let him pass..after about 30 min. i made a few soft low grunts and growls..this time one replied to me straight on the hillside in front of me..that hadnt been logged yet and i knew this was a mature buck..we continued down the other hillside grunting and doin that low growl..i was waitin for him to appear on the fourwheeler trail that i was facing down in the draw of the to hills..he finally stepped out and i could see his rack from 300 yards away..i knew that was the one..he walked towards the scent key that i had hangin up and turned broad side and i dropped him with a 300 mag..he never knew what was comin..he is an 8 point that scored 146..not bad..ill post the picture soon