HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Maryland Baiting tactics -- sitka deer
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 02:45 PM
AJ52
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maryland Baiting tactics -- sitka deer

keystoneanglers

1st choice;
I go to a local produce farm with apple orchard. I buy every Mc Intosh(sp) apple I can get my hands on. BTW - I only buy 2nds, much cheaper.

These apples (Only Mc Intosh) have never failed to draw deer from every farm around. A thin skinned apple with a sweet aroma deer can not resist. I use it on clothes,boots,rub on tree stand as cover scent. I've had deer among other critters follow my boot scent up to tree stand! I throw bushells approx 50-100 yrds from stand to draw deer in AND cover human scent. It has never failed. I've seen them go thru 3-4 bushells in 3-4 days - amazing!! I like to smash the apples on top of corn I've spread out.

2nd choice;
If your putting out corn,try shelled corn as it won't have the scent/your scent and every other tom dick and harry that touched the ear corn. Spread it out to keep fresh. If it gets mouldy,nothin will touch it except hogs and tree rats.

3rd choice and don't laugh;
Buy 2-3 bottles of pure vanilla. Put in clean scent bottles and hang 3-4 around stand. Deer will come out and scent the area for the stuff. I watched a Doe 4 yrs ago come out and scent for the vanilla. She found it in tree and stood on hind legs to get at it. I nailed her as she came down on all 4.

4th choice;
I have about a dozen oak trees in my yard. I wait until all acorns have dropped and then bag em in construction bags (300 lbs+). I spread out in 2-3 key spots on hunting farm. It takes a while but when they find em they're gone in about 2 weeks.

Last but not least;
Keep your bait whatever it is at least 40-50+ yrds from stand. If it's to close deer will scent you and your stand OR you'll get busted as you walk into your stand. After you bait your area - STAY AWAY FROM IT - TOTALY AWAY! - or they will only hit it at night - if ever.

Best of Luck