Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 How' s everyone' s season going in the first week of PA archery? >

How' s everyone' s season going in the first week of PA archery?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How' s everyone' s season going in the first week of PA archery?

Old 10-11-2003, 09:43 AM

Default RE: How' s everyone' s season going in the first week of PA archery?

Saw 3 does and a 6 point. Raining acorns this morning. Does bedded 31 yards away for over 2 hours this morning!
Old 10-11-2003, 08:03 PM

SAW MY FIRST LEGAL BUCK ON FRIDAY!! :-)
Sorry I was excited, lol Looks like we is at least a 5 point, might be bigger.
He came in with some does on a tree I had seen from the logging road, and just walked up to and climbed. Stayed just out of range, and I would had to force a shot in a tight space.
Then This morning, I saw not a danged thing, squirrels, that was all until noon.
This afternoon, i setup my stand on the trail where the buck went to and followed down friday night.
SUre enough, around 6:30 he showed up, but after standing for about an hour I had sat down to adjust my hand on the bow, and look to my left and he is making a B-line for my tree, still coming, I am sitting down so I get the bow out over the edge of the treestand and draw it back sitting down, have him in sight, but he still coming almost directly at me, at about 4 feet from my tree he stops and looks up at me (he was quartering towards me) and he gently jogs the opposite direction to about 20 yards out. FINALLY quartering away, and he stops, I stand up, bow still at full draw, and he stops with a tree right across the vitals.......bummer, he turned and headed down the mt. then. In total saw 16 deer and spooked several on my way out, not a bad night, but they were moving waaaaaaaay late.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:07 PM

I only got to go out twice so far. Only thing I seen opening day was 5 turkey' s!! And the second time out I went to my tree to find some a$$$$$$ stole my stand!![:@][:@] Pretty sure who did it just can' t prove it. They must of been in the area in the morning because I could' nt get out till the afternoon! Anyway I' ll be going out Monday again. Hope just to see a deer and maybe a Summit stand while I' m out! Oh yeah & hopefully someone is in that stand!![>:]
Old 10-12-2003, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

We just got back from hunting in 4D for a week. Worst PA trip as far as overall deer sightings we' ve ever had, and no deer to bring home on top of it. Miserable weather on Saturday, in the mid 70' s most of the first week with bright moonlit nights. I saw a total of 4 (count ' em, FOUR) deer from my hunting stands, (worst year ever for me in PA since I started hunting there) and that was one group of 4 at almost 90 yds in the edge of the hardwoods heading for grass. Rest of my crew was in the same boat-- no acorns anywhere, all of the deer were on grass and crops, and coming out mostly after dark. Good points of the hunt was there are more bucks than in years past, (we saw a few beauties while shining, but couldn' t get them to come in during the daylight hours) and there are plenty of bears around for everyone that hunts them! Overall the quality of deer is better no question, but quantity is way down. We saw a total of only 186 deer while shining our usual " loop" that we normally see well over 400 over the course of the week. Had a good time, but it certainly could' ve been much better.

Hopefully there will be some acorns next year, and that not too many people take does in this area we hunt. Seeing the bigger bucks is nice, sure, but heck, we can see those on occasion at home too--- the great thing about PA was always the fact that there was hardly ever a day when you wouldn' t at least SEE deer from your stand, and I think that will eventually affect the hunting as a whole if overall numbers keep getting chopped each year by 20-30%. Lots of grumbling at the restaurant we hit for breakfast every morning, everyone in our area was in the same boat it seemed, only a few were connecting. I wish everyone good luck down there this year-- we didn' t hurt the area any, left ' em all for you guys, hehe! See ya next year. Pinwheel 12
Old 10-12-2003, 03:43 PM

Moved stand Last sunday. seen a spike and a four pt work a scape. got a doe on steath camera , along with the spike I let walk. lots of rubs. Hope there is a bigger one around.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:58 PM

8 big fat doe and a button buck 10 to 25 yds last night! Nice 8 pt with a nicer 6 pt the night before 60 to 70 yds away (no shot). They' ll all be back since this is my father-in laws land and no-one else hunts there, although neighbor told us he saw someone carry out a big racked buck on Tuesday. He couldn' t get a license # but had a description of the vehicle. So if you were this person we' ve got your # and the PGC will have it as well. OK, guess that' s about all for now! Will post pics when that 8 pt makes his fatal mistake. Yours in archery, Hammy
Old 10-16-2003, 11:16 AM

Filled my doe tag Sat. morning. Saw one small buck and one 8 pt thru the binocs, but not close enough. Saw various other does through the week.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:29 AM

I' ve only had one sitting without seeing deer. I passed on a small 8 point Saturday morning and passed on a 11 point Saturday night. I can' t say the 11 point will freely walk past me again, but I know there are bigger buck in the area and it was only opening day. Lots of does and fawns within range but no shot opportunity. It' s been good so far, hopefully I' ll actually put one in the freezer soon. Good luck to all.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:25 PM

I got back yesterday from Wayne County. Hunted Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. Saw a lot of deer from my stand. Biggest on stand was a wide as his ears 8 pointer at 90 yards Saturday night. The biggest buck the 5 of us saw was a 130 class buck .. wide and real heavy.. under an apple tree at 6:00, 10 yards off the road.. on Sunday of course! Saw 5 bears in 3 hunting days, a bobcat and 8 different bucks.

Tuesday night as everyone should recall was a nasty night .. the wind was real bad.. and rain was predicted heavy that night. At 5:30.. while hanging on for dear life in my treestand had a nice 6 pointer start to work his way in from a swamp.. I was set up on a group of 3 wild apple trees(they were hitting the fruit trees hard) he came in broadside at 20 yards and as he passed some brush I came to full draw. The wind was real bad and my tree was rocking hard... so I really concentrated on that pin and picking my spot.. and slowly squeezed the trigger on my release .. as the arrow was releasing a burst of wind hit me pretty hard and I felt my pin sliding backward on the deer .. and WHAM .. I watched my arrow pass through about 3" ' s back behind the ribs. The deer was hit hard .. but to far back.. I watched him for 30 minutes .. he only went 50 yards and bedded down. I snuck out at 6:00 and it started to rain .. hard. I figured the safest bet was to leave him till morning because if I bumped him on Tuesday night with the weather that bad, I' d never find him. I was there at first light and snuck into where he bedded the night before and he wasn' t there... uh-oh I thought. I started small circles and found him... or should I say what was left of him 50 yards away. The coyotes had found him in that miserable weather .. and eaten both rear quarters and the backstraps down to the bone. I was amazed they had found him in those conditions. Well I slapped my tag on him as I wouldn' t feel comfortable shooting another buck knowing I killed this one already and headed home with the horns.. I took some photos of the carcass in case a WCO questioned me on only having the rack. All in all it was a great trip .. I' m sure Ma Nature enjoyed the venison.. and I' ll look at thoise horns and always think about trying to shoot in bad conditions.

Here is a pic of my buck ... not my biggest by far but a legal buck and only getting a few hunting days a year in PA I thought he was a beauty.