Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Coyote: encounter >

Coyote: encounter

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Coyote: encounter

Old 09-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coyote: encounter

Well I' m out hanging one of my stands today, and after I get everything set up, I sit and take it all in for a while to get myself excited for saturday. Next thing i know, I hear muffled footsteps coming through the woods. A coyote appears on a well traveled trail 10 yards away. He stops perfectly broadside and sniffs the air, sniffs the ground, looks around, and walks away. He must have smelled something but did no know what it was. I wish i would have had my bow!

If you guys saw a coyote while on stand in archery and it presented a shot, would you take it?

Do you think that this Coyote might throw a kink into my plans for that stand?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coyote: encounter

I would imagine the coyote would, as they are the only predators(besudes us) in that area right? Maybes theres bear, but still. I would take a shot on it(legally). Im told they are pretty hard to encounter.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would take the shot. A coyote is a lot more rare of a bow kill (especially in PA) than a deer. It would probably be a once in a life time deal. Go for it.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-03-2003, 01:35 PM

Shoot it! They are in season and your regular hunting license is valid to hunt the coyote.

Or on the other side of it if you don' t shoot the yote. I am sure it will eat more deer. They are carnivores and predators. Do your deer a favor. Kill the coyote it is win/win one less predator could mean a few more deer for you to see/shoot.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are you kidding me, I did just that last season, 20 yards through the back of the neck...see www.asatcamo.com under ASAT believers for the whole story.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' d have shot........I' d like to get my first tanned to hang on the wall. We' ve got some huge ones in Central NY = 50+ are common. Taking one with a bow would be a real treat!

I' ve seen them actively hunt full grown deer, and found were they killed 6 month old deer several times. Still, I' ve seen them in the same field, at the same time - and they usually pay little attention to each other. The Coyotes are so thick here, that the deer would never sleep if they changed their patterns every time they encountered one.