Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

encounter question

Old 05-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default encounter question

today....i was sneakin along a fence line looking for birds in the fields....and trying to strike a gobble....about 7am id have to say.....well theres a pasture...fenced in...cleard out....woods one both sides....i look down the far fenceline and low and behold....a strutting longbeard...i drop down immediatly....and sneak back and climb the 6 foot fence....kinda hard in turkey gear...but i did it.....he had no idea i was there....let out some calls.....i can see him strutting....walking around...ect....he looked around for my calls.....and after 15 20 mins he let one gobble out.....id call a series or 2 on a call or 2.....then give him the silent treatment for 10-15 mins.....hes strutting....walking around.....all in the same area....then he walked down the fenceline 10yds or so....came into the field jogging towards my fenceline...then walked back...strutted around more...walked around more.....i called another 2 or 3 series every 10-15mins....letting him know i see him....and im waiting for him....he got impatient and was slowly walking down the fenceline....when the herd of cows came BARGING up the pasture and wood line......and spooked him....i spoke to a guy that was walking through the same area the other day and he said he saw a big longbeard in the same area...but lost sight of him.....this longbeard is BIG.....big THICK beard....and i could see it between his legs when he walked.....big ole bird....i have tomarow and friday to hunt....weather looks perfect....he had no hens at all.....is that his "strut zone"??? i was reading field and stream this month and they say if you find the strut zone set up by it.......call how i did.....and wait....wait and wait....he will show........i think all the hens in the area are nesting....we call in lone hens there....and lone males...my buddy hunts across the gulley....what should i do?? my plan right now is to get there early.....atleast 40 mins before first light.....and just wait him out....calling how i did.....but this time ill be waiting there for him.....not 70yds away....think that would be my best plan of attack?? the birds are all pretty tight lipped...cant figure out why...mornings are cold....but day its warm...and nice today....tomarows nicer.....and warmer......any tips....ideas.....tactics....id love to roll him tomarow....hes a big ole bird....i know that rope is atleast 9....probably 10 or 11....i never hunted a strut zone...and think thats what i found.....thanx alot.......lemme know what you guys think
Old 05-04-2005, 02:48 PM

Default RE: encounter question

Set out a hen and jake decoy uphill from where he is strutting, along the tree line so he is sure to see it and you can be well hidden. A few yelps and he will come running, unless he is gay.
I am convinced that there are allot those too, gay gobblers that is!
R
Hank
Old 05-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

dont own a decoy.....cant borrow one from anyone...i know all my friends have them....and dont use them.....they just know i will put it to use and bag a big ole bird with it....and the stores are whipped out.........and theres no...uphill.......this area is UP the hill.....its up on the flat......kickin myself for never buying atleast a hen decoy......i usually hunt thick woods....never need em...by the time the bird can look for a hen hes lookin down my gun barrel.....but not now...hunting fields and such........rah!!! im baggin me a bird!!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:26 PM

Getting uphill is just a personal observation of mine. Seems gobblers are much more ready to come up a hill rather than down it.

If it is flat, no problem.

However, while I am far from an expert, when it comes to hunting in semi open and fields, having a decoy or two will seal the deal when it comes to getting a gobbler to cross or come around the edge of a field. It is one thing for him to hear you, having some eye candy really helps.
R
Hank
Old 05-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

I am fairly certain you found a strut zone also, only thing i can tell you is too get in there early and sit and wait for him to come out...although he may be henned up tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser,

Can you give a better description of the lay of the land?

I'm a little confused as to where you were sitting---inside the pasture fence, or outside?

Also, any idea where this bird roosts, ie. does he roost close and actually fly down into the field, or is there a fence crossing? If he flies down into the field, then a decoy would be great, especially before first light...

If he enters the field through the fence, you can hunt the crossing just like deer, and setup on that opportunity. The problem with pasture strut zones, is unless there is a disturbance---like your cows or other gobblers---the entire pasture is the strut zone, not just one area.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

i actually have no clue where he roosts....ill be my arse its somewhere close....he was there by 7am...they havent been flying down till 630ish id say....and my buddy from the other side of the gulley heard him gobble a few times early on...and head up that way.......i was inside the fence......i couldnt tell if he was inside it with me the whole time...or passing back and forth....the fence is only a few months old.....and some birds can get under it simple....and others walk into it all day and wont go through.....but he had no problem doing what he was doing.....he was IN there with me at one point...the pasture is woods and field......fenced in....then there are more real hay fields outside the pasture to one end......the other end is a gas line.....and the sides are woods.....the gobbler stayed on the woodline..and seemed to like working a little knoll in the woods....just beyond the field edge.....it was the highest place.....and the sun was gleaming right on it......it was like a stage for him.....i doubt he will be henned up....i know anyhtings possible but ive yet to see a bird with hens back there....7am he should had his hens all around him....being boss tom like that he should roost with a dozen of them...he was there all alone..just strutting when i snuck up on him.....the woods arent open....its a hardwoods ridge.....some small shrubs ect here and there.....not all a field....he was mainly in the woods himself.....but still visible from any direction being so high and in a clearing in the woods....i think im just going to have to sneak in there well before first light.....hopefully i can call him right up there....tomarow i got all morning to wait on him.....ill pack water and just hang tight......get in early....get COMFY.....take an extra cusion....and just wait....hes welllll worth the wait.........when i talked to the other guy that saw him he pointed to that very same spot when i asked where he saw a bird.......keep the replys coming.....ill keep reading till i goto bed.....then ill post my results in the morning.......thanx guys
Old 05-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser,

Sorry, when I think of "pasture", I envision rolling green grass spaces. I sometimes forget that many farmers also enclose part of the woods for shade access---you would think someone in Animal Science wouldn't forget such things...

With your more complete description, I would bet 9/10 that the clearing is a primary strut zone. Gives a good vantage point. If he wasn't gobbling much though, he probably isn't the boss, especially if he doesn't have hens. Probably a big 2 year-old waiting in line...

If you're going to setup in the strut zone, my best advice is to let him come to you in a complete ambush. Get comfy and don't say a peep. Sounding off before he gets there may be bad, especially if there is a bigger bird in the area with hens.

And if he won't come without calls, well then there's always Friday . I feel it's always better to play it safe first, then go aggressive, on private lands. And I personally hate not running that call, but sometimes that's what ya' gotta' do to fill a tag...

S&R
Old 05-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

yep....most of it actually is woods.....its all pretty new....before the farmer just had the cows in a little REAL pasture area....a few trees here and there...but mainly a grass field....but he expanded it this year.....and the cows travel clear across a creek...down and up VERY steep hills.....and were over malesting my turkey hunt...boss tom or not....he looked big.....definetnly a shooter for me....it would only be my 3rd bird....i just dont want to shoot a jake..or my tag would been filled first light saturday....i find it odd that he didnt have hens....and that he wasnt gobbling.....but all the birds are tight lipped...saturday they were going absolutely nuts.....and it was POURING rain....this whole week been nicer then saturday....a bit cooler though.....pressure isnt all that great.....i mean..saturday there were a few hunters there....and a few shots....but since then its been me twice....and my buddys yesterday....they park at the barn..walk to the woods and sit down....they arent big turkey hunters...first year for them....my one buddy did roll one saturday though...first light im going to get up to that fence....listen for them to sound off....if i dont hear anything ill set up by where he was strutting.....only one direction he can come from....the that narrows it down......he cant roost in an open field.....and i bet he roosts right on the edge of that ridge 100yds away....flys down...and thats his first stop on his rounds......thats on the way to the fields...he probably stops there to garther hens....and wake up.....i hope he does that tomarrow....he will have someone waiting on him....not exzactly the hen hes wanting.... but a stiff load of copper #5s will greet him.....2yr old 10 yr old.....doesnt matter...hes got a nice rope on him....and already gave me one exciting hunt.....thats all its about......that hour or so i watched him i had my neck all cocked crooked.....man i got the worst kink in it now!! but it was all worth it....many times it looked like he was going to commit...that got the ole ticker goin good....thanks alot.....ill let you know what happens tomarow........
Old 05-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd setup right where you saw him really early. Just call like you said and wait him out. He'll show. I bet if you do this you will be gettin on hear tomarrow and tell us how you got him! Good luck!!

Quick Reply: encounter question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.