Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Close Encounter

Old 04-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Close Encounter

Just got back from turkey hunting. I was set up on a food plot but not much happening. I heard this bird gobble about 5-6 times before I moved. I went toward him 300 yards and setup about 100 yds from him. He was still on the roost at 7:30. Sunrise was 6:38. There was a creek and a bunch of small pines on my side of the creek. He may have been off the property. During that 300 yard walk he gobbled 5 or 6 times including a double gobble. After I was setup, I called and he answered about a minute later. He gobbled about 8-9 times, I answered only 3 times. Then I hear a gobble that sounds like he is on the ground and closer. Two minutes later I see him and he is way to my left and coming fast. Too late to adjust, he keep on coming until he was just 5 yards away. He gobbled 3 times while near me. That was awesome. Unfortunately, he got spooked and left.

This is the hottest gobbler I've every worked. If it got any better than this, I'd carried him to the truck.

Still looking gobbler #1, but I've got a few cornered now.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Close Encounter

Sounds like one of those near misses. [&:]

Perhaps it is only a matter of time.

I called for a fella this morning that got pinned down by three hens. They were nearly close enough for him to touch. As it worked out the tom came in plenty close enough but the guy couldn't move without blowing our ruse so he had to let a second shooter get the bird...tough luck for this guy but good for the second guy.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

you'll get him next time
Old 04-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

Hey, it happens. At least you know that you are doing it right now. Just be ready for him next time. Good Luck. BB
Old 04-19-2004, 01:25 PM

Sounds like a great hunt! Next time he comes from that way go ahead and move but do fast or slide to the ground and rollover to the prone shooting position. Turkey have trouble seeing low to the ground. If you stand up he will bust you. Hey either way you take a chance on getting busted, that's what makes it so exciting.