Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA opener!!!!!

Old 10-04-2003, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA opener!!!!!

Hey guys , i jsut got in from a fun filled morning of RAIN and coldness, didnt see a bird let alone a deer. I hope it will let up for tonights hunt, i am looking forward to going back out after hockey practice , so maybe that will be the time to see some deer. How did everyone elses first hunt of the year go? anyone Tag an dandy?

Good luck guys!!!!1[8D]
Old 10-04-2003, 08:13 AM

Default RE: PA opener!!!!!

oubleLung55 that freezen rain just goes right threw you
Old 10-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wet ,seen three doe heading for the thicket to bed,no shot available. Heck if they are going to bed ,so am I. I drove around the area and all the hunters were sitting in there trucks drinking coffee. One guy was drinking out of a southern comfort bottle. O-BOY glad I dont hunt near him
Old 10-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lonewolf... that rain rips u apart , i jsut put my gortex on for the hunt , and put my hood up and sat there , i figured if im gonna shoot in the rain and risk the tracking job its gonna have to be a big boy. But i hope tonight clears up a bit.

As for the southern comfort , that is just funny , i dont understand how u could possibly drink this early , or drink UNTIL this early.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:36 AM

Report from central PA:

Nothing tagged here either, rain, cold, blarg.

Saw 3 deer at about 9am, coming off the fields (VERY late, they knew what was coming, rain started here just a little after that), then another group of about 7-9 came up a little farther out, but of course they picked to come up across the direction the wind was blowing, so they winded me and turned tail and ran.

They were awfully spooky this morning, the wind had them nervous.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sullivan County - Hard rain, thick fog, high winds, 38 degrees. Sat in the stand this morning and got wet and cold. Tree was swaying and creaking in the wind. In the open the rain is horizontal. Visibility is about 15-20 yards. Saw 2 does and a big spike on the way in. They were bedded in a grass field - out in the open getting rained on. Those deer were in the same field last night. I guess they never left to go bed this morning. Clothes are in the dryer. I' ll be heading back out for the day around 2:00. It looks like the fog cleared a little but it' s still raining and windy.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-04-2003, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

so they winded me and turned tail and ran.
bigdog02- just wondering,were you wearing any kind of carbon or scent-lok suit?
Old 10-04-2003, 11:10 AM

DoubleLung55 man do I miss archery hunting but due to arthritis and a complete detereated of the cervical spine that won' t let me draw a bow anylonger with doing more damage to my neck I had to tell myself bow hunting is over and I did enjoy it for the 35 years,but I will be out there with my flinter and that cold weather does more harm to you later on in life .good luck with the season and those guy' s drinking so early in the morning that why they want you to wear red or orange some people should just not be in the woods
BE SAFE AND GOOD HUNTING
Old 10-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Montgomery Co.:

Same here as well, rain and cold. I thought I would wait it out until around 10:00 when everyone elase would get down and push something but all that I did was get even more wet. Going back out in about an hour.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:14 AM

lol carbon and scent lok suits are a luxury i can' t afford this season,.
Had on cover scent, and used as much scent eliminator as I could, just guess there was something I missed. That is part of the reason too why no scent lok for me, i mean I know it works, but it seems like if you forgot, mess up, or don' t do one thing, then the whole setup is blown, so I usually just try to play the wind and use it as my best scent cover up.
No biggie for me, I am used to hunting from the ground and always played the wind and would use minimal scents other than attractants. Just wasn' t my luck that they came up the trail on the side of the stand that the wind was blowing to.

The way I had the stand setup trails broke off about 100yards or so below me, over a small ridge, if they go to the left (my right) through a small feeding area where they have been feeding recently) then they would be upwind of me, and I would be in the clear. If they go right at the trailhead, then they would come up downwind of me, on a farther off trail, WELL out of bow range. I took my chances with this stand hoping that I might score lucky and some would use the upwind trail this morning, but just wasn' t my day :-)

Quick Reply: PA opener!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.