Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY hunters--blaze orange >

NY hunters--blaze orange

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY hunters--blaze orange

Old 07-18-2003, 08:05 AM

Default NY hunters--blaze orange

There' s a bill currently awaiting Gov. Pataki' s signature which would mandate hunters in NY, starting this season, to wear a blaze orange hat and 500 square inches of blaze orange (a vest) while hunting. There' s no reason for him not to sign it. Don' t know if blaze camo will be allowed.

Personally, it' s about time.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NY hunters--blaze orange

is that for ALL of NY? Or Just Southern Tier?
Old 07-18-2003, 12:33 PM

It' s my understanding that if you hunt with a firearm, with the possible exception of waterfowlers, you' ve got to be in blaze orange, no matter where in the state you are. I could be wrong.

Supposedly, it' s going to be signed today.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:24 PM

befor u said for firearms i was thinking bow to .. but IT IS ABOUT TIME.... this is over due no one and i mean no one should lose there life because of a deer ,,,,
but on the other hand hunters should know what there aiming at ...

big al bowmansville ny wny
Old 07-18-2003, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree, it is about time for the blaze orange up there. i am originally from the upper part of the adirondacks and still go up there each year for a week of hunting. the problem has always been, they hunt without blaze orange because that is the way their parents and grandparents hunted. i have been wearing it for years up there, stood out like a sore thumb, but it sure made me feel a lot better. wonder how many of those hunters realize how many times they have been looked at through a scope because of the camo clothing and blowing a deer grunt while they were walking. i have ran into all kinds up there, leather jacket wearers, cowboy hats and brown clothes, heck, i even scoped out a guy that was crawling on all fours in a leather jacket through some thick stuff. there are two kinds of people that bother me in the woods, the new hunters and the ones that have hunted for years and never shot a deer. both of them are subject to put a round in your direction in a heartbeat. anyways, i am glad it is finally coming to that, just hope they don' t yank it off once they hit the woods.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:33 PM

I always wore orange during the gun season most of the gun hunters want to kill a deer as soon as they could and get back into their warm house I just want to make sure they do not mistake me for that deer
Old 07-19-2003, 06:03 AM

I am totally against it, and was allways very proud of our state, with giving us the
choice, this all comes down to choice and common sence, just like seatbelts and
crash helmets, one more thing that local goverment, crames down our throught
and tells us what to do, dont get me wrong, I wear some blaze orange, but it
should be my choice
Old 07-19-2003, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

i always have worn orange during gun season.. i would wear it till i got to my treestand. after i had gotten in to my treestand i would take it off and put it behind thie tree so hunters can see a lil bit of it and not make a mistake...
Old 07-19-2003, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

I’ve heard about this as well.

Also threw the grapevine:

The bill didn’t put anything about bow season being exempted and only says hunting in general?[]

A bill allowing riffles for whitetail in the southern zones starting in 2004?

There was some other talk around but I can’t remember at the moment.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:29 AM

I have both the Assembly version and the Senate version in front of me now. Here' s the pertinent info from the Senate (shorter!) version . . .

Section 1. Section 11-0901 of the environmental conservation law is amended by adding a new subdivision 17 to read as follows:

17. Every person hunting during the regular big game season shall wear a hat or cap of solid or patterned fluorescent orange colored material and/or an outer garment above the waist of a minimum total of five hundred square inches of such material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a three hundred sixty degrees arc. The department shall provide notice of such requirement in the state hunting and trapping regulations guide.

Section 2. Section 71-0925 of the environmental conservation law is amended by adding a new subdivision 15 to read as follows:

15. If the violation was a violation of subdivision seventeen of section 11-0901, relating to wearing fluorscent materials while hunting big game, a civil penalty of not less than ten nor more than fifty dollars.

Section 3. This act shall take effect on the first of January next succeeding the date on which it shall have become a law.

Helps to have my wife working in the Assembly . . . btw, as a Republican . . .

Quick Reply: NY hunters--blaze orange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.