Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 VT hunting trip. >

VT hunting trip.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

VT hunting trip.

Old 06-29-2003, 09:06 PM

Default VT hunting trip.

Hello all I am looking for some advice about my upcoming trip to Vermont in the Fall for some dear hunting. Just would like to know, if any of you may know of any good places to go, and places with cabin rentals, or some thing along those lines. Also we are all college guys going so keeping price to a minium is a plus, and since we are all students in Western MA southern or central VT is best. Thanks for any advice you can give

Dave
Old 06-30-2003, 08:17 AM
jf5

Default RE: VT hunting trip.

Well, just over the border is the Green Mtn National Forest which is hunbtable. Deer numbers are of low density though. There are off course tons of state parks and WMA' s that you can hunt. Good luck getting the Vermonters to give up hot spots, as they are premium in a state that has deer hunting as part of its culture. Most of the best places to hunt with the highest deer densities are posted farms. Especially on the states SW corner. If you are set on VT only, I would say hunt the northeast kingdom area, as its has alot of land to spread out. Not allot of deer though, but big ones.

Why not hunt western MA??? Most of the pressure is in the eastern part of the state now so public lands are not as crowded. I have hunted public lands in Zone 3 & 4s and have only seen one other hunter in the past 4 years. MA takes less deer than VT, but average better bucks these days. Most VT bucks taken are spikes.

Possible places in western MA...

Jug end State Forest and WMA/Egremont

Otis and Tolland SF/ Otis/Tolland MA

For state WMA' s go to www.Masswildlife.com

Pittsfield SF (big park) Pittsfield/Handcock

among others....

Old 06-30-2003, 10:22 AM

Thanks jf5 for the advice. Western MA is my usual hunting ground ( live near Springfield) so I know some good spots. The reason I picked VT is there out of state license is cheaper than say NH or NY, and my buddies don' t need to worry about having a MA FID card. I was thinking green Mt National Forrest myself, but i have herd mixed reviews.

Well Thanks for the advice it has given me a start.

Dave
Old 06-30-2003, 11:02 AM
jf5

Well, what type of hunting experience are you gusy looking for. Big bucks or deer in qty???
Old 07-02-2003, 06:48 PM

South of rutland danby dorset areas... benson shoreham areas.. well any where near Lake Champlain for deer numbers.... spine of the green mtns bigger deer but farther and fewer. Real big woods hunting. You could always look on the east side in the putney north to springfield areas for huntable land. Knock on some doors you might be surprized.