Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

hunting trip

Old 02-16-2002, 03:00 PM

Default hunting trip

hi
i need help finding an ideal location for a special hunting trip that i and several of my friends would like to take, we would like to find a large area, 300+ acres, where we can camp "primitive" style for 4-6 weeks, build a camp from resources available, hunt deer, turkey, rabbits, and fish for food,
we would like to bring our 2 dogs with us
we would like it to be an area where we know we will not be disturbed by other people
does anyone know of a place like this?
Old 02-17-2002, 11:05 PM

Default RE: hunting trip

Try getting a hold of Lilhunter he's from Alaska and might be able to help you.He's around here in the forum.Good luck.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting trip

come on up..go chase bou and ptarmigan till your blue in the face, if that bores ya go back into the brooks and chase some blackies on your bou tags! There isnt much to build a camp from on the tundra though!!!(north of the brooks range) The south side of Atigun pass would be a decent place to build one at and its a gorgeous place to boot! A bunch of old gold mines and many still active ones with sheep moose, bears both black and grizz, dall sheep, preditors abound and just to the north caribou and muskox! You could also pan on a couple of the creeks for gold..cant say the gold fever has hit me but I am sure someday it will....cant do much for deer around here but you could hit Prince of Whales or Kuiu islands for deer and blackies, that or go just east of Ketchikan and sleep with the big bears as both Brownies and blackies co exist not to mention blacktails and if ya can get a boat some great fishing!!! I would LLOOOOOVE to see some turkeys up here...man that is the one thing I miss most of all...there are a ton of grouse on the better years to make up for them, atleast to some extent anyways. These past couple years have been really bad for the grouse and the rabbit population has finally crashed this last fall and the current winter! Lots of preditors though both lynx and fox and so far they seem very prone to calling! The land up in the brooks is all state or federal land and you wont need a permit to camp there, you can roam in the gates of the arctic national wildlife and preserve or hunt just outside of it in the many river drainages! You could also set up a moose camp but be forewarned its getting hit pretty hard the past 2 years with folks bowhunting for moose! Granted the corridor is a bow only area. Get certified in your state with a IBEP or its equivilant course and you are good to go or hike out past the 5 mile mark and rifle hunt. There is some great fishing to be had also up north. The lakes by the road have both grayling and lake trout in them. The Jim river has GREAT grayling fishing and the Sagavanirktok river has some great char fishing, last year we pulled out more then a few over 28"es while caribou hunting and some HUGE grayling in the system also! Just some ideas.....