Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Hunting Trip

Old 10-27-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Hunting Trip

Thought I would post this pic of my 5 year old llewellin setter speck. This picture was taken last week in South Dakota. We had a ton of fun, and killed a lot of birds. My dad is 71, and he still hunts hard. You can't beat hunting with your old man.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:39 PM

Default RE: Hunting Trip

You are right there is no bond stronger than that between a man and his father. I made mine being outdoors, hunting, birdwatching and just smelling the fresh air with my father. I envy you . My father passed away a few years back. Going hunting, the truck, the dog, the kill, the thrill, all of it. Anyways I enjoyed just looking at your picture. What kind of Setter have you got? I am going to get a hunting dog in the next couple of years.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:07 AM

Nice pic and I agree with time spent with your father. I'm (hopefully) passing on the same pleasure to my son. I know that I enjoy the time with him and hope he feels it back.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:28 PM

You are right about nothing better than hunting with your old man.I'm just sixteen, but most of the time it seems likeI get more excited about going than he does.Once I start to think about it, the most time my dad and I spend together (I mean real quality time where we talk about serious stuff, sports, and have a lot of fun) is when we go hunting. Sometimes it is just the two of us that go out, and some times we don't come home with any birds, but even to me that is not what matters. We just spent a few hours together with mother nature and had a lot of fun. I just hope that my dad will be able to get out in the field with me when he is seventy.
I also want to know what kind of a setter you got, but it is one pretty dog. I just got an english setter, and they do look kind of similar. I live here in Kansas, so we have plenty of pheasant, but I still want to go to South Dakota some day to hunt pheasant.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: ehudgens

...this pic of my 5 year old llewellin setter
Can't help but point out that he already stated the type of setter he had. If you ever watch OLN, the show Hunting with Hank, the same breed of dog as Hank.

Just went out this morning with my English Setter. Killed 8 over her, 7 roosters and 1 hen. There were other hens that we put up but passed them up. We like to hunt selectively, roosters only if we can help it. Yes, here in MA we can shoot hens if you don't know. For that reason, we have nearly no wild pheasants in the state, 98% of the birds in the state are stocked (that figure was made up but no exageration, it might be a higher percentage of stocked birds for all I know).
Old 11-04-2005, 11:02 PM

My dad isnt much of a hunter but there is not one thing in life i enjoy more then goin with my grandpa. hes 83 and out hunts me still! lucky to still have him and will have a big part of me die when he goes (hopefully not for a long time). It is a very strong bond there is just something about watching the sun rise or set with them next to you that makes you feel a combo of proud safe and loved.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:57 AM

Something that comes in second place for me is to go hunting with good friends. I've got a trip planned for this weekend in which I'll be hooking up with some friends I haven't seen for a few years. Whenever we do get together it's like we never were apart. Mixing that friendship with dogs, birds and good eats is a pretty intoxicating mix.