Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How the hunting trip went.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default How the hunting trip went.

So i got drawn for a managed hunt at a C.A. called Peck Ranch in middle southern Missouri in the ozarks. Two years ago when i got drawn for this youth hunt we saw about 30 deer in all. Turns out that year the mast crop was bad and all the deer in about a 5 or 6 mile radius came to these foodplots to eat because this wildlife refuge was the only spot around with food plots. This year on the other hand, the mast crop was abundant so the deer were spread out as could be...literally. They had no reasons to go to those foodplots if there were acorns ALL over the place falling like rain. We tried the first morning in a foodplot with 4 scrapes around it. at about 9am we rattled and grunted a little ( i know its a little early but whats it gonna hurt). We ended up rattling in 2 mature males...seriously 2 mature PEOPLE haha. we decided to hit the woods. long story short we saw 2 deer and couldnt get a shot.[:@]
Old 10-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How the hunting trip went.

ORIGINAL: kelleno

So i got drawn for a managed hunt at a C.A. called Peck Ranch in middle southern Missouri in the ozarks. Two years ago when i got drawn for this youth hunt we saw about 30 deer in all. Turns out that year the mast crop was bad and all the deer in about a 5 or 6 mile radius came to these foodplots to eat because this wildlife refuge was the only spot around with food plots. This year on the other hand, the mast crop was abundant so the deer were spread out as could be...literally. They had no reasons to go to those foodplots if there were acorns ALL over the place falling like rain. We tried the first morning in a foodplot with 4 scrapes around it. at about 9am we rattled and grunted a little ( i know its a little early but whats it gonna hurt). We ended up rattling in 2 mature males...seriously 2 mature PEOPLE haha. we decided to hit the woods. long story short we saw 2 deer and couldnt get a shot.[:@]
HAha- thats crazy dude. I was reading along and like sayyy whatt? haha