Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
stop complainin...start hunting >

stop complainin...start hunting

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

stop complainin...start hunting

Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Why is it that the people that have good seasons seem to want to brag?
We WORK HARD to do what we love and when we don't we want to see if it's an across the board thing. We are not complaining. I don't know who I mean when i say "we", but atleast me. I am in the woods alot. But whatever. . . . . My meaningless two cents.....
BigBuck95
Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by germain
Yes Doug there's probably more bear hunters then deer hunters.Did you ever see the reports from the bear hunters on deer sightings?Especially on HPA.Very few deer sighted with all those drives.Different from the 80,s when in bear season there were deer running everywhere.Not to mention most of the drivers are going in the thick stuff where those pressured deer are supposed to be hiding.There's simply alot less deer today and that's why hunters aren't seeing them.
There are less deer.I've never stated that there weren't.I didn't get a chance to hunt bear the last two years although I generally do.When we drive,we usually see plenty of deer in the areas where I expect to see them.Some areas we don't see any but good bear habitat and good deer habitat are not necessarily the same thing.Three years ago,I was hunting bear right on the edge of Moshannon state forest and Seneca resource corp property.I was by myself for the first part of the day but groups were putting on drives all around me.I saw 17 deer that morning.This was on public land in 2G.

The year before,I hunted with some guys near sandy ridge.We killed 4 bears on the first two drives.I think the entire group saw 3 deer all day.It was thick laurel,no browse and no mast crop.There was absolutely no reason for many deer to be there.The guys I was hunting with lived in that area and none of them hunted deer there anymore and they didn't blame the lack of deer on too mnay getting shot.It simply wasn't good deer habitat.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Banned

Yesterday on another thread some dude was selling handbags.

...Maybe he thought some of the Pa environmental extremists reading this thread could use a good "man purse"? Wonder if he got any takers?

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-02-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fellas2
You claim I'm unreasonable to expect everyone else to do the same thing.I say that there's no reason everyone else can't do the same thing.

DougE,there is one main reason why everyone else cannot do the same thing as you do.Not all of us are fortunate enough to live and work in the same WMU as we hunt! There are plenty of hunters that live up to hundreds of miles from the area they hunt either by choice or necessity so they cannot walk out their back door or drive 20 minutes to do what you do.Many hunters still live and work in the city and have very little time to spend days in the woods scouting and most are not as fortunate as you to know these areas or get permission to hunt there.I understand that effort is needed to be sucessfull,but please don't make it sound as though it's childs play.
It's not childs play.I have less time to scout and hunt than most.I get to work every day by 8:00am and rarely ever get home before8:30pm.My kids run barrel horses and we're at shows every weekend from April until mid october.That doesn't count the amount of time we have to spend training,working and taking care of them.The only two days I've taken off work to hunt the past two seasons were the first day of deer season.I don't get a week or two to spend at camp like alot of guys.I don't even hunt the second day.It's pretty much just saturdays for me.I do take it serious though and try to steal and hour or two here and there to check places out.Furthermore,not all of the places I hunt are close to my house.I hunt some areas that are over an hour a way and usually never scout prior to the season.Five years ago,I was in the woods every chance I got.Today,it's a small fraction of that.If I can do it,anyone can.I'm an average person with average skills.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Banned

BB addressed doug:
Thanks for admitting if more hunters followed yours and BTB's solution to reduced deer numbers it would result in even lower future harvests. Therefore , your solution would not solve the problem ,it will make it worse.
As did I.
ANY higher will reduce the herd further when stabilization or reduction is already occurring. You yourself even stated previously when discussing pa game lands management vs. stateforest how even small increases in harvest (in that case with dmap) would have real effect on deer density when they are low to begin with. Hope we arent gonna waffle on that now?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Thanks for admitting if more hunters followed yours and BTB's solution to reduced deer numbers it would result in even lower future harvests. Therefore , your solution would not solve the problem ,it will make it worse.

The PGC did in fact reduce doe allocations in 2G and several other WMUs because more hunters hunted hard enough to harvest enough deer to reduce the herd in 2G from 15 DPSM to 8 DPSM.
The thing is,most people won't.I know alot of hunters that are more than satisfied with the way things are in 2G.I also know some who continue to go to the same places year after year,despite the fact that there's no reason for there to be many deer.All it takes is a simple understanding of exactly what deer need at different times of the year,a little scouting and some patience.When I drive around during deer season I see the same thing every single year.Guys hunt the same spots,year after year and most of the time,they pick areas where they can see the farthest.The biggest concentrations of vehicles are always where the woods are wide open and the access in is easy.Sorry,but I DON'T THINK THERE SHOULD BE SO MANY DEER SO THAT THESE GUYS CAN SEE ALOT OF DEER.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

he thing is,most people won't.I know alot of hunters that are more than satisfied with the way things are in 2G.
That is your opinion but the PGC disagrees or they would still be issuing 52,000 doe tags instead of 26 ,000. If they didn't cut the allocations in half ,hunters would still be killing more deer than are recruited each year and future harvests would decrease.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

The thing is,most people won't.
Then why suggest something as the solution, that you claim isnt gonna happen and therefore IS NO SOLUTION, and even if it did happen & hunters took your suggestion, it still wouldnt be a solution for the reasons bb and i mentioned? I think its time for REAL solutions. LIke suggesting hunters contact their legislators.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
That is your opinion but the PGC disagrees or they would still be issuing 52,000 doe tags instead of 26 ,000. If they didn't cut the allocations in half ,hunters would still be killing more deer than are recruited each year and future harvests would decrease.
You make no sense.The PGC reduced the allocation in 2G because the herd has been reduced.No one is aguing that there's less deer.What you fail to grasp is that just because there's less deer,it doesn't mean the hunting is poor.2G has vast areas with lousy habitat and therefore little reason for there to be alot of deer.I concentrate on areas where there should be more deer and I find them.Not everyone needs to see loads of deer without expending any effort.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Then why suggest something as the solution, that you claim isnt gonna happen and therefore IS NO SOLUTION, and even if it did happen & hunters took your suggestion, it still wouldnt be a solution for the reasons bb and i mentioned? I think its time for REAL solutions. LIke suggesting hunters contact their legislators.

I never suggested any solution.I don't see a problem.We used to have a problem in the form of too many deer for the habitat.That problem has been fixed for the post part and it hasn't effected my outlook in the least bit.The past 8 seasons have been good for me.I have nothing to complain about.I feel that they did exactly what was needed in 2G.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.