Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Does a Pa WCO

Old 01-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
The PGC must like to drive in farmer's fields.

Several years ago during dove season a buddy of mine was hunting with a few of his buddies. They were parked in a field. In the middle of the field was a large, old oak tree. They were sitting in the shade of the tree when a GW came down the long lane/driveway.

He immediately drove through the field up to the oak tree. He jumped out shouting, "I want to see everyone's license right now!"

He check everyone's license and the shell capacity of each gun. He then went on a rant about parking the vehicle in the field below. He wanted to know who's vehile it was and said they would be getting a fine.

My buddy with the vehicle started to chuckle. The GW wasn't too happy when he did that and became more irrate. The GW started to write him up. In a very confrontational attitude, the GW wanted to know why he parked in the field. My buddy just shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't know, I just did!"

When the GW ask where he was from, my buddy pointed to the house at the end of the lane. The GW had a shocked look on his face and then ask, "Do you own this property?"

My buddy nodded his head and said, "Yes, I do!"

The GW started to apologize. My buddy started to chew him out for driving through the field. Aking why he just couldn't have rolled down the window and ask about who's vehicle was there and if they had permission, rather than drive through the field.

The GW had a real change of attitude and kept saying he was sorry.

I don't know, maybe the PGC like to test out the 4WD on their vehicles by driving through farmer's fields.

That story doesnt add up. The only way a WCO can write a ticket for driving on fields is if its a SGL or a farm in the Co-op. If he was in the co-op program the WCO would have known the landowner.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

I've never had a problem with Game Wardens, I actually enjoy talking to them whether it be on my land, Sleepy Creek, or fishing. They give you that first gloss over look to see what's what but then I just start asking them about whatever I can think of.

I have to say, WV is much more friendly with their hunters than PA, WV seems to really appreciate hunting and hunters. PA seems to treat you guys like adversaries.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WestVirginiaBrent
I've never had a problem with Game Wardens, I actually enjoy talking to them whether it be on my land, Sleepy Creek, or fishing. They give you that first gloss over look to see what's what but then I just start asking them about whatever I can think of.

I have to say, WV is much more friendly with their hunters than PA, WV seems to really appreciate hunting and hunters. PA seems to treat you guys like adversaries.
I've had the same experiences here in Va with the wco's,,,,,nothing but good to say about the guys,,hell one of them even gave me and my wife pointers on where to fish and have more success!

As far as Pa. is concerned,,,i have never directly crossed paths with a WCO,,,but i do know of one who likes to ride a mountain bike while patrolling the spring turkey woods.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rem700man
I've had the same experiences here in Va with the wco's,,,,,nothing but good to say about the guys,,hell one of them even gave me and my wife pointers on where to fish and have more success!

As far as Pa. is concerned,,,i have never directly crossed paths with a WCO,,,but i do know of one who likes to ride a mountain bike while patrolling the spring turkey woods.

VA's WCO's are top shelf; a few of PA's WCO's could use stand some courses in Human Relations and following PA's Vehicular Trespass Laws.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you have a gate, then by all means you should lock it. I know a WCO has more tresspass power that a police officer. Why is beyond me. I know my cousin who was a COP here would sometimes use a WCO to 'check someone's trunk for illegal game' when he had suspicion of drugs and couldn't get a warrant quick enough. Then, open trunk, on public property in plain sight = silver bracelets..
Old 01-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
If you have a gate, then by all means you should lock it. I know a WCO has more tresspass power that a police officer. Why is beyond me. I know my cousin who was a COP here would sometimes use a WCO to 'check someone's trunk for illegal game' when he had suspicion of drugs and couldn't get a warrant quick enough. Then, open trunk, on public property in plain sight = silver bracelets..
That is flat out false.
WCO's are held by Constitutional Law equal to every other LE Officer in the State.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WCO R.W.J
That story doesnt add up. The only way a WCO can write a ticket for driving on fields is if its a SGL or a farm in the Co-op. If he was in the co-op program the WCO would have known the landowner.

It was a farm co op. They have all the PGC signs (safety zone, Do Not Block Gate, etc...) they also stock pheasants.

This was in late 80s. My buddy was actually my GFs brother and the son of the property owner.

Its funny how a person can give details of an experience that happened and have someone from the PGC say it isn't true.

This property is next to Greenlick dam in Westmoreland Co. AKA Jacob's Creek Dam. The Propery owners initials are J.S. and L.M. if you want to call your buddies in that area and verify such a place exists.

Last edited by Windwalker7; 01-30-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Well that explains why he was going to issue a citation for driving on the fields. I am suprised the the WCO didnt know the landowner, (but that is possible). The Landowner should have been happy that the WCO was attempting to enforce the law on his land for him.

I didnt say your story was false I just said the way it was written it didnt add up to me, with the additional facts you just supplied , I have to say it could have happened that way.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WCO R.W.J
Well that explains why he was going to issue a citation for driving on the fields. I am suprised the the WCO didnt know the landowner, (but that is possible). The Landowner should have been happy that the WCO was attempting to enforce the law on his land for him.

I didnt say your story was false I just said the way it was written it didnt add up to me, with the additional facts you just supplied , I have to say it could have happened that way.

It wasn't the fact that the WCO was enforcing the law.

It was because the WCO drove through the field (about 100yds.) up to the oak tree, to write a citation for parking in the very same field.

My buddy was pulled off to the side of the driveway/lane. (the driveway/lane is about 1/4 mile long back to the farm house)

Seems odd to me, that the WCO would drive through a field to write up somebody for parking in the very same field.

This was back around 1986-87.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WestVirginiaBrent

Very true!

I hunted in WV for 16 years. Very proffessional down there.

Always polite and interested in how your day is going andoffer advice/

When was the last time a PA WCO walked up to you and introduced himself and shook you and your buddies' hand while doing so?

Had a WV WCO do that! They act like they are glad to see you down there. Never get that feeling here in PA!

My buddies and I were shocked when they did that. Wasn't what we were use to. Use to being treated like a criminal here in PA.

Very friendly in WV!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.