Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Does a Pa WCO

Old 02-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Of course it's true that citizens should have courage and be willing stand against law enforcement abuses but I think you're pretty naive to not understand why someone would be afaid to file a complaint. Do you really find it incomprehensable that an LEO might seek some kind of retribution against someone filing a complaint? Have you ever seen the documentary film "The Largest Street Gang in America"? In it a fellow is secretly filmed entering various police stations around the country and simply, and politely, asks for a complaint form. He was often verbally abused, sometime threatened and once even cuffed and arrested.

The fact is, many (and the number is growing) citizens do not trust law enforcement. They see examples of abuse on the news and in the papers and sometimes even experience it first hand. Please don't insult our intelligence by pretending to not know why a person might be afraid to attach his name to a true and valid complaint.

I wasnt trying to insult anyones intelligence. And I surley am not prentending anything. As I said before if nobody does nothing about unaceptable behavior , then there is no chance its going to stop. I was raised to stand up for myself and I sure as heck would not stand by and do nothing. Sometimes it hard to do the right thing but to just throw you hands up and give up will change nothing.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WCO R.W.J
I wasnt trying to insult anyones intelligence. And I surley am not prentending anything.
Well, you asked--"Why would you be afraid to attach your name to a complaint if it was true?" So either you truly don't understand why, which would make you extremely naive, or you were "pretending" to not understand. It's pretty hard for me to believe that you could truly be that naive. It's pretty easy for me to suspect a motive of pretending to not understand so you could smuggle in the idea that it would be so unheard of for an officer to seek retribution from someone filing a complaint that the thought never entered your mind. And in that, subtle as it might be, is where the insult lies. I doubt any reasonably intelligent person buys it.

Originally Posted by WCO R.W.J
As I said before if nobody does nothing about unaceptable behavior , then there is no chance its going to stop. I was raised to stand up for myself and I sure as heck would not stand by and do nothing. Sometimes it hard to do the right thing but to just throw you hands up and give up will change nothing.
Like I said before, I agree with this [after interpreting the double negative]. In fact it is a point I've been making all along. The expression "blue wall" came about for exactly this reason. When an LEO misbehaves, rather than stand up and do something about it, the "brotherhood" either looks the other way or even actively protects the culprit. How can an LEO even think about lecturing private citizens about standing up against law enforcement abuses when everybody knows about the infamous "blue wall"?.

Last edited by Sylvan; 02-05-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

I called a WCO three years ago and said a friend of his Dep was hunting over a salt block and had just killed a doe with his bow on opening day of archery season within sight ofa public road...told him I would show him the place and not to bother sending his dep. but to show up in person. He showed up and I showed him everything...the next Monday at work he told my grandson how the WCO had just given him a warning...an let him off with that cause he knew he was pals with his best Dep. And if he finds out whom reported him he'll burn down their house.
Why should we bother to report scofflaws if this is how it's handled? If a WCO let him off with a warning what's to make me think he wouldn't tell him who reported him...i got too much to loose in my livestock/barns/house/equipment to worry about that stuff!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

rwj seems like person with GRIT.i commend him for that.
here is example when BROTHERHOOD etc is involved.

if say a WCO/DWCO is a masonic brother,no way he is going to do anything to another masonic brother.he has to come to his defense....he cant because he takes OATH that he cant.this happens all time in every organization.you mentioned BLUE WALL.
yes it exists .when i was in ny i saw police stick together when complaint was filed even tho they knew that the other officer was not complying with rules.
they have their own BROTHERHOOD...........look at DOCTORS ,a doctor can commit MALPRACTICE and other doctors bury their heads in sand and wil not talk.

it exists and most today are afraid to get involved.look at how a politician goes after another one when they smell blood when something is reported.