Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Does a Pa WCO

Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Does a Pa WCO

have the right to enter my private property without probable cause? an if so must he produce to me the verifable probable cause if I request it when I stop them on my property?
ie, if I'm driving my old truck around on my farm and a WCO shows up..1. must he walk in only 2. when I ask him just what the lleh he's doing there must he produce to me proof that he had cause to enter my property without my permission prior to going any further?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

The specifics may vary across states, but the state regulations generally state something to the effect that game wardens are empowered to enter all lands in the course of their duties. The standard for probable cause is generally pretty low: suspicion that hunting is occurring, hearing a gunshot, getting reports of illegal activity in the general area. Would assume that is pretty much the situation in PA since there have been recent moves in the state to restrict the powers of GW's.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My understanding that a warden can in the course of his duty enter all lands except a curtilage (the enclosed area immediately surrounding a house or dwelling) without a warrant. No government agent has the right to enter a curtilage without a warrant or probable cause.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

buy a back tag every year rather than the lifetime combo because I felt why no add my cash to the PGC if I can afford it ...but I've bought my last tag of any sort in Pa last year...those boobs don't have my support and they're going to need to trail me around my place to see if I am hunting without one...just to pizz them off!

That's probably why the WCO is snooping around your place...you gave him probable cause!!!! LOL In all seriousness, they DO patrol the internet, specifically looking for guys bragging about poaching and stupid stuff...I heard that they can also get your personal imformation from your profile and use it to verify the legality of any photos you post online of game, or claims to have filled tags. IE, I posted pics of my gobbler last spring...in theory they could request access to my personal info, to verify it was legal, and my harvest reported. Dunno how much truth in that...but they are HERE online frequently...and not just to debate the deer program!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

I assumed they could wiggle in with the slightest suspect or made up allegation but do they have any right to drive unto my property?...provided of course they aren't chasing someone.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
That's probably why the WCO is snooping around your place...you gave him probable cause!!!! LOL In all seriousness, they DO patrol the internet, specifically looking for guys bragging about poaching and stupid stuff...I heard that they can also get your personal imformation from your profile and use it to verify the legality of any photos you post online of game, or claims to have filled tags. IE, I posted pics of my gobbler last spring...in theory they could request access to my personal info, to verify it was legal, and my harvest reported. Dunno how much truth in that...but they are HERE online frequently...and not just to debate the deer program!

I've no doubt some wannabe like a dep or bored WCO might prowl the net but if they have the time to do that makes me wonder who's in the field checking for scofflaws
Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

If they can walk on the property, they can generally drive on it as well.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

guess I'll need to pull the gate shut an lock it at the end of the lane..it's nearly 1/2 mile back to my place and I doubt they'll walk that far for fear the birds will eat their crumb trail and get lost
Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

this is true, and i believe it is the eves of the house they cant go past w/o a warrant..unless they have probable cause....if they ask if you have meat in the freezer, and you say yes..thats probable cause... game wardens have the largest jurisdiction in the state, even more than Texas Rangers in Texas.

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
The specifics may vary across states, but the state regulations generally state something to the effect that game wardens are empowered to enter all lands in the course of their duties. The standard for probable cause is generally pretty low: suspicion that hunting is occurring, hearing a gunshot, getting reports of illegal activity in the general area. Would assume that is pretty much the situation in PA since there have been recent moves in the state to restrict the powers of GW's.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

If i recall correctly this general topic came up a while back. A police officer chimed in and said that there are actually a number of circumstances where officers can enter a yard and even a house without a search warrant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.