Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NYS public hunting land goes AR. >

NYS public hunting land goes AR.

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYS public hunting land goes AR.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

JC, my point about seeing alot of spikes in the new jersey hunting area that borders SF, is that I dont typically see a difference in the amount of big,mature bucks on that side of the border, as oppose to the NY side, dispite the fact that the NJ side has had ARs for years. Like I said before ,look at the NJ outstanding deer record book and see for yourself http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/outdeer.htm

I could only find one entry barely over 150" ,and very few others at all, from passaic county, which is where the public hunting land that borders SF is located, so I really dont know what spreading ARs across the narrow ,2 lane road, that divides the 2 states, is going to accomplish.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid
You are making it sound like NYS mandated an AR in every piece of state land that can be hunted!!! Lets get a figure of how many acres of huntable public land areas dont have an AR as to the ones that do. Is raising licsence costs doin the same thing!!!!!??? Driving people out of the sport !!?? Yet guys like Steve863 have no problems with that!!! Go to your local sports shop and see what more guys are bitching about- ridiculous licsence costs or experimental ARs.

Sorry, but I don't think a $30 increase will drive many people from the sport. $30 is probably less than most people pay for a months cellphone charge or cable TV bill. I am paying more for just about everything else these days, so the $30 hunting license increase comes as no surprise. If the $30 will make some people stop hunting, then maybe these folks aren't really cut out to be hunters in my opinion. Sure I have heard some bitch about license increases also, but from what I can see these same folks who bitch about the extra $30 have no problems dropping twice as much in saloon several times a week. So I guess it just all depends what peoples priorities are.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

If the $30 will make some people stop hunting, then maybe these folks aren't really cut out to be hunters in my opinion.
If thats your logic i guess my response is, that if hunters cant deal with an AR maybe they're not cut out to be hunters either!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

If thats your logic i guess my response is, that if hunters cant deal with an AR maybe they're not cut out to be hunters either!!!

AR's were actually proposed for the unit I hunt in this past summer. I wrote the DEC a letter in opposition to them. I am sure plenty of other hunters did the same and the proposal was shot down. I'd say that in itself was worth the extra $30 I am paying for my license this year!!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Steve863
AR's were actually proposed for the unit I hunt in this past summer. I wrote the DEC a letter in opposition to them. I am sure plenty of other hunters did the same and the proposal was shot down. I'd say that in itself was worth the extra $30 I am paying for my license this year!!
Congrats on gettin your voice heard. I wouldvee liked to hear your take on NYS DEC if your liscense went up and the AR was implemented in your area!! No wonder why you dont care your tags went up 30 bucks. It was the lesser of the two evils in your oppinion!! Now it makes sense to me.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on gettin your voice heard. I wouldvee liked to hear your take on NYS DEC if your liscense went up and the AR was implemented in your area!! No wonder why you dont care your tags went up 30 bucks. It was the lesser of the two evils in your oppinion!! Now it makes sense to me.
I would have preferred that the price of the license remained the same, but why would I think that the price will remain the same forever? Hasn't everything else gone up over the years? Won't many things you buy today probably cost more than they did 5 or 10 years ago? Are we to think that the price of a hunting license will ever go down??
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Steve863
I would have preferred that the price of the license remained the same, but why would I think that the price will remain the same forever? Hasn't everything else gone up over the years? Won't many things you buy today probably cost more than they did 5 or 10 years ago? Are we to think that the price of a hunting license will ever go down??
Am i to believe that if there had been an AR placed in the area you hunted and on top of that licenses went up you would not have thought you were gettin screwed by having to pay more and on top of that being told what you can shoot. You are content with the price hike because given the choice between that and an AR you would choose the price hike. You just said it in your post!!!
the proposal was shot down. I'd say that in itself was worth the extra $30 I am paying for my license this year!!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Am i to believe that if there had been an AR placed in the area you hunted and on top of that licenses went up you would not have thought you were gettin screwed by having to pay more and on top of that being told what you can shoot. You are content with the price hike because given the choice between that and an AR you would choose the price hike. You just said it in your post!!!
I would have sucked it up and accepted the AR's or found another place in NYS to hunt that didn't have AR's. I am however very glad that the area I have hunted successfully for 19 seasons now has not implemented needless AR's. Finding new private land to hunt is not very easy these days and not getting any easier either. I would have expected and accepted a price increase in licenses either way. You can go ahead and try to spin this any way you wish. I will continue to stick to my opinion that the cost of a hunting license is minimal in comparison to a WHOLE lot of things these days, and you can go ahead and bitch about anything you wish.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

the area I have hunted successfully for 19 seasons
Just out of curiosity how many of those 19 seasons would you have considered successful had an AR been in place.Are you a meat hunter that in reality is just a unsuccessful trophy hunter? Seems like thats the case with most guys who oppose ARs. If you are truly a meat hunter because you dont have time and are just looking to fill your freezer thats a different story. i just havnt met many of those! And unlike the other thread you and me had this conversation about license prices, i was not bitching about them in this post. I simply stated that i feel the raise in costs will effect the #s of hunters more than ARs do. mainly for the simple fact that price increases effect all NY hunters. ARs effect very few in the big NY hunting picture.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I could only find one entry barely over 150" ,and very few others at all, from passaic county, which is where the public hunting land that borders SF is located, so I really dont know what spreading ARs across the narrow ,2 lane road, that divides the 2 states, is going to accomplish.
What does one have to do with the other? (AR's and expecting to shoot 150" free ranging deer on public land in NJ)

AR's are only intended to protect yearlings from being harvested on a consistent basis. They are not intended whatsoever to mislead people into believing 150" deer will be the result.

JC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.