Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NYS public hunting land goes AR. >

NYS public hunting land goes AR.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYS public hunting land goes AR.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Sterling forest, a state owned park, about 10k acres in orange county NY, has just announced it will be imposing AR (rack width past ears) in most of the park. The director told me today it was a result of 2/3 rds of its permit holders requesting it. I dont remember being asked or polled, and Ive held a permit every year since it was owned by the state. Last year QDMA came and did a seminar at the visitor center, looks like some of the SF higher ups drank the koolaid they were serving. I dont know what the logic is behind this move. Most of the folks who use this land are NYCarea residents, who just want to enjoy theyre limited time in the deer woods ,and Jersey residents who are fleeing theyre own state's ARS. Most just want to participate in the hunting season(AMEN!)and fill their tag, they dont care if the deer is a "quality deer" ,whatever that is. I guess SF feels more restrictions on newbie hunters is a good way to increase hunter participation..wrong! While I was handing in my application, I took a look at the hunter photo album, at the vistor center. lots of happy hunters w/ nice 125+++" bucks taken (gee howd they do that w/ out ARs) along w/ other hunters (mostly kids) who looked just as happy w/ their lesser "quality", basket rack bucks. Too bad the state will now determine what "quality" a buck has to be to put a smile on a new hunters face.

Good news is they opened up a bunch of new land for archery hunting.

AR has been a big plus here in pa.welcome it with open arms.where you need to worry is HR,herd reduction.THAT HAS RUINED OUR HUNTING HERE IN WMU2G OF PA.

yes, dont trust QDMA,they will wipe out all your doe if they can.throw in AUDUBON too.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 AM
Dominant Buck

It always strikes me as odd when a state brings in AR which is often opposed to the majority decision by the sportsmen paying for the license. In most states the wild deer herd is a public trust meaning they are owned by all the people not individuals. To enact rules which do nothing for the general health and welfare of the deer seems ludicrous at best. Building a deer herd which has a few more points more suitable to a few trophy hunters at the expense of the average hunter who just wants to fill a tag and enjoy the meat is wrong. I can’t say our 5 years in an AR plan have done anything here except to push our total harvest numbers down the toilet. My bet is at least in Vt the F&W department will get an earful when we have the 2012 deer meetings and I expect the AR will be gone.