Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NYS public hunting land goes AR. >

NYS public hunting land goes AR.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYS public hunting land goes AR.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Steve863
In an isolated area with restricted access, AR's probably do produce better racks, but the responsibility of the DEC and any states game department is to control deer numbers and not the points on a bucks rack when it gets shot by a hunter. In the scheme of population control, it makes NO difference if the buck that is taken out is a spike or ten pointer. The AR advocates only want to make everyone believe that it does.
They are trying to control the quality and age structure of the heard. They use an AR because most people cant age judge a deer in any situation let alone a hunting situation!!! You should be thankful for guys who trophy hunt-there passing up the deer you put in your freezer.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid
For the record i didnt say i had facts that it was working-as in harvest data #s, age of deer killed etc.. I only said those that i speak to that hunt there(ulster county) have said they are seeing more racked bucks. ARs have big time flaws-theres no doubt. Just cuz you shoot a deer that qualifies under a certain AR still doesnt mean that you are not killing a 1.5yr old or 2.5yr old buck. I have seen 1.5yr old bucks with 4pts on a side and see MANY 2.5s with the same. These are the bucks they are trying to protect but can be taken. Killing a buck by minimum age is the way to go for real management purposes but theres no way to do that for the general hunting population. Therefore ARs are considered the only other way to go to try to spare young bucks.
I agree with you there, but the real question I would put forth is, is protecting younger bucks, at the expense of decreasing hunter particpation, by restricting opportunities ,a worthy goal? Id have to say no! Especially when there are already opportunities at older class bucks in the park for those who choose to put the work in to find them.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I agree with you there, but the real question I would put forth is, is protecting younger bucks, at the expense of decreasing hunter particpation, by restricting opportunities ,a worthy goal? Id have to say no! Especially when there are already opportunities at older class bucks in the park for those who choose to put the work in to find them.
You are making it sound like NYS mandated an AR in every piece of state land that can be hunted!!! Lets get a figure of how many acres of huntable public land areas dont have an AR as to the ones that do. Is raising licsence costs doin the same thing!!!!!??? Driving people out of the sport !!?? Yet guys like Steve863 have no problems with that!!! Go to your local sports shop and see what more guys are bitching about- ridiculous licsence costs or experimental ARs.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

........... I know one thing- in a couple years you can bet your ass i will be hunting Sterling Forest.

Eggs Zachary. Ditto
Old 09-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are making it sound like NYS mandated an AR in every piece of state land that can be hunted!!! Lets get a figure of how many acres of huntable public land areas dont have an AR as to the ones that do. Is raising licsence costs doin the same thing!!!!!??? Driving people out of the sport !!?? Yet guys like Steve863 have no problems with that!!! Go to your local sports shop and see what more guys are bitching about- ridiculous licsence costs or experimental ARs.
Sure there is plenty of non AR public land in NY but how far away from the NYC metro area? There is no other state or public land within 2hrs from the NYC area, that you can gun hunt, except for west point and you need a 3p there. That puts restrictions on alot of newbie and future hunters, for what, for some pipedream of turning SF into wallhanger heaven? Maybe you wont hear locals bitching much about SF ARs, but most of us that live around here, already have better places to hunt. I personally dont hunt SF much but,what about the guy in LI,SI,brooklyn etc. that may not bowhunt,scout extensively or live the hunting lifestlye, but still might enjoy a crack at a spike w/ his shiny new rifle.why take that away from them ...and why should they have drive to 3hrs to hunt some deer desert in the catskills? Just think, for everyone of those guys we have on our side, its one less, potential antihunter, and antigunner. I know, because I am a former bronx resident and took my 1st buck(spike) many years ago in SF.It was the thrill of my life, at the time, and I might not have got into hunting as much, if it never happened.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 09-08-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Sure there is plenty of non AR public land in NY but how far away from the NYC metro area? There is no other state or public land within 2hrs from the NYC area, that you can gun hunt, except for west point and you need a 3p there. That puts restrictions on alot of newbie and future hunters, for what, for some pipedream of turning SF into wallhanger heaven? Maybe you wont hear locals bitching much about SF ARs, but most of us that live around here, already have better places to hunt. I personally dont hunt SF much but,what about the guy in LI,SI,brooklyn etc. that may not bowhunt,scout extensively or live the hunting lifestlye, but still might enjoy a crack at a spike w/ his shiny new rifle.why take that away from them ...and why should they have drive to 3hrs to hunt some deer desert in the catskills? Just think, for everyone of those guys we have on our side, its one less, potential antihunter, and antigunner. I know, because I am a former bronx resident and took my 1st buck(spike) many years ago in SF.It was the thrill of my life, at the time, and I might not have got into hunting as much, if it never happened.
i have no idea what area SF is like... maybe some of those newbies or meat hunters shouldve raised their voices a little louder. I know i am goin to ruffle some feathers with my next statement but i will say it anyway. As far as providing areas to cater to NYC hunters i could care less. I live in an area that sees more than its share of these city idiot morons. The guys that shoot goats,cows, other people and anything else that moves. Unfortunately for you NYC hunters have a BAD rep- I have no concern if any of these guys have an area thats convenient for them to hunt!! Open up a section in the adirondacks and lettem all go up there. maybe they will get lost. Better yet open up CEntral park and let them kill off some rapists,murderers or addicts. I hate to lump everyone together down there and im sorry if i offende anyone. but ive lived upstate for 34 years and have yet to meet a hunter from NYC that wasnt an NYC jerk, and believe you me ive met alot of them!!! Those jerks are the ones that ruin it for the good guys like you!! sorry for gettin off topic.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

rh160kid, youll get no argument from me about NYC hunters, even though I use to be one technically(wasnt raised in NYC just lived there in my 20s) I agree w/ you about them pretty much, and have had more than my share of negative experiences in SF w/ guys up from the city on opening day, but with that said, a NYC hunter beats the hell out of a NYC liberal antigun/antihunter ,thats for sure. Fact is, we need to grow our #s ,especially in the NE,if hunting is going to stay legal for future generations, even if we have to share the woods with some A- holes.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 09-08-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting Sterling Forest for the past 10 plus years I have taken and seen a couple of very good bucks taken out of the park . I filled out the survey last year and opted to be invited to the meeting which I was but could not make it due to being on vacation. I will agree that over the past couple of years the number of idiots has grown to the point of becoming dangerious if it does not accomplish anything else maybe it will require hunters to take time and actually see what they are shooting instead of pulling the trigger at any sign of movement . I recieved the letter with my license renewal where it states that the details of the AR will be sent with the license it is not listed in the letter I received also it is not the entire park under these restrictions and hunters under 17 will be exempt
Old 09-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I applaud the states move...they asked hunters what they wanted..they got a response...they listened..and implemented a solid action plan.

As for the comments about seeing spikes and forks after AR's went into effect someplace in the area....one has absolutely zero to do with the other!

AR's are not likely to increase the average size of yearling antlers in any free ranging deer herds in the Northeast whatsoever, and certainly not within the first few generations of bucks that are harvested under the programs.

Most importantly whether a yearling is a spike or fork has very little correlation to the bucks genetic potential to grow a rack far in excess of the average size of those currently harvested in non AR areas with free ranging deer in NY, NJ etc.

JC
Old 09-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ballbusta
I have been hunting Sterling Forest for the past 10 plus years I have taken and seen a couple of very good bucks taken out of the park . I filled out the survey last year and opted to be invited to the meeting which I was but could not make it due to being on vacation. I will agree that over the past couple of years the number of idiots has grown to the point of becoming dangerious if it does not accomplish anything else maybe it will require hunters to take time and actually see what they are shooting instead of pulling the trigger at any sign of movement . I recieved the letter with my license renewal where it states that the details of the AR will be sent with the license it is not listed in the letter I received also it is not the entire park under these restrictions and hunters under 17 will be exempt
Glad to hear the youths are not affected by the AR. Thnks for clarifying that ballbusta.
Originally Posted by jcchartboy
I applaud the states move...they asked hunters what they wanted..they got a response...they listened..and implemented a solid action plan.

As for the comments about seeing spikes and forks after AR's went into effect someplace in the area....one has absolutely zero to do with the other!

AR's are not likely to increase the average size of yearling antlers in any free ranging deer herds in the Northeast whatsoever, and certainly not within the first few generations of bucks that are harvested under the programs.

Most importantly whether a yearling is a spike or fork has very little correlation to the bucks genetic potential to grow a rack far in excess of the average size of those currently harvested in non AR areas with free ranging deer in NY, NJ etc.

JC
The average age of bucks taken in NY is like 1.6 yrs old!! that is pathetic!!! They are trying to raise that-plain and simple. I applaud NYS for finally gettin on the ball with this. God knows i dont applaud NY much!!!LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.