Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA >

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Old 07-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

this is from a clip on crossbows in ohio,

Since Ohio first legalized crossbows in 1976 through the 2003-04 season: .... Increase in deer harvest with a crossbow + 168.0% ...

That's a big impact
Old 07-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ohio News[/align]

Archery Deer Hunting Season Opens Soon
Ohio Department of Natural Resources

Posted on: 09/29/03 [Comments?]

[hr]

Approximately 200,000 bowhunters are expected to participate in the statewide archery deer hunting season, which opens on October 4, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.
During last year's four-month archery season, bowhunters took a record 48,904 deer, up 18 percent from the previous season's record harvest of 41,526.
Both longbow and crossbow kill totals set records last year. Crossbow hunters totaled 28,352 deer, and longbow hunters took 20,552 deer. Overall, archers accounted for 24 percent of the 204,652 deer taken during Ohio's combined 2002 archery, primitive and gun seasons.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's pros and cons on both sides of this issue.
But with the number of hunters we have in PA and amount of public land it's a pretty good bet the impact on harvest numbers would have to affect season length.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: germain

There's pros and cons on both sides of this issue.
But with the number of hunters we have in PA and amount of public land it's a pretty good bet the impact on harvest numbers would have to affect season length.
You neglected to note that the 168% increase in xbow use in Oh took 32 years. Oh is the "crown jewel" of the xbow states. They just had their 7th or 8th consecutive record archery harvest. Your figures show 500,000 deer hunters in Oh, split up about 200,000 archery and 300,000 gun. Of the 200,000 archery, xbow is about 55- 57% of that. Not allowing for crossovers which there are certainly. Also when comparing the two states, be aware Oh has no rifle season, just a short shot gun and m/l, so one would think that would promote more archery as it equals more time and chance to take deer.

Btw: the link I asked for on PGC cutting season length due to xbow use?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

How did I neglect to note the 32 years when it's right there in front of ya?

The 168% and deer harvest are a good indicator of the popularity and impact on crossbows.
As for the links I gave you the info to the mag article.
The PGC discussions before go back maybe two years when this topic came up before.Their search engine isn't the greatest so I couldn't find it.
If you really want to prove me wrong feel free to search and show where they said it wouldn't have an impact on the seasons.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question for ya shucks,do you hunt bow now?
If so were crossbows made legal would you switch?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:37 AM

Facts from Ohios deer hunting before and after the introduction of CB's in 75 or 76.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:46 AM

Wanted to add that Ohio's deer numbers only continue to rise every year. Last year we could harvest seven deer. Used to be just one, and sometimes buck only. Proof that it takes good DNR to have a great deer hunting state. Ohio controls the deer population with the gun season not Archery season. Our gun season is being tweaked every year based on population and our deer heard only continues to do well and grow. If your numbers drop they could easily shave time off the rifle season, Ohioshortens and extendsit almost every year while our archery season has been getting longer and better. Archers are also allowed to take more deer then gun season in Ohio since the majority of harvest comes from gun season.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: germain

Question for ya shucks,do you hunt bow now?
If so were crossbows made legal would you switch?
I'm 61, started out w/ a stick bow when I was 8, graduated to a recurve later in life, hunted w/ it and did well, injury put me out of that and into xbows. Never did care for compounds. Two things I've noticed, the recurve was a heck of a lot lighter, and the xbow gives me another 10-15 yds range. Didn't see the dates you posted, my bad. More on Ohio:

Contrary to claims by anti-crossbow groups of herd decimation and severe restrictions on hunting opportunity and harvest, Ohio has never modified regulations governing crossbows or adjusted harvest regulations because of the crossbow. Modern firearms have, and will always account for the majority of the harvest and have the greatest impact on Ohio’s deer population. The crossbow has never had a significant statewide impact on the management of the deer herd. Ohio’s experience has shown that the crossbow is
not an unsafe, hyper-effective hunting implement rivaled only by the shotgun. Hunter success rates are no higher than those for vertical bow hunters. Additionally, the crossbow may help retain and recruit new hunters, especially youth and women.
Michael J. Tonkovich, wildlife research biologist, and Patrick Ruble, Bowhunting Preservation Alliance
Old 07-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read the hunter success rates are about the same,don't doubt that.
It comes down to the number of hunters getting involved with crossbows and how that will affect the seasons.
The difference between us and Ohio is the deer populations.There's is growing in most areas where as ours is basically growing in populated or low access areas.We just cut back season length in 2G and some other WMU's have cut back in tags.Kinda opposite of Ohio's situation.
In the outdoor news article commissioner Russ Schleiden did admit the possibility of shorter seasons if participation is high enough.
shucks,are you going to switch to a crossbow?
Not trying to be a smart arse just curious why a person would make that move.
I shot one and didn't really care for it.The thing was cocked ahead of time and had a scope.I went bukllseye my first shooting.
Not using this as an arguement because it's just my personal observation.
I'll be 50 and my passion is bowhunting.I need to work out through out the year so I'm able to draw back because of shoulder problems.I imagine when the time comes I can't draw back anymore I'll give it up.
But again this is just my personal opinion and by no means am judging a fellow who wants to use a crossbow.
My issue with the crossbow has to do with the possibilty of shortened seasons which would probably occur during the rut.
With the push for herd reductions I doubt the inpact on anterless deer would matter.
An increased harvest on bucks most definately would.

Quick Reply: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.