HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA
Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 AM
awshucks
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

ORIGINAL: germain

Question for ya shucks,do you hunt bow now?
If so were crossbows made legal would you switch?
I'm 61, started out w/ a stick bow when I was 8, graduated to a recurve later in life, hunted w/ it and did well, injury put me out of that and into xbows. Never did care for compounds. Two things I've noticed, the recurve was a heck of a lot lighter, and the xbow gives me another 10-15 yds range. Didn't see the dates you posted, my bad. More on Ohio:

Contrary to claims by anti-crossbow groups of herd decimation and severe restrictions on hunting opportunity and harvest, Ohio has never modified regulations governing crossbows or adjusted harvest regulations because of the crossbow. Modern firearms have, and will always account for the majority of the harvest and have the greatest impact on Ohio’s deer population. The crossbow has never had a significant statewide impact on the management of the deer herd. Ohio’s experience has shown that the crossbow is
not an unsafe, hyper-effective hunting implement rivaled only by the shotgun. Hunter success rates are no higher than those for vertical bow hunters. Additionally, the crossbow may help retain and recruit new hunters, especially youth and women.
Michael J. Tonkovich, wildlife research biologist, and Patrick Ruble, Bowhunting Preservation Alliance