Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA >

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

ORIGINAL: sproulman

this is why i suggested that only kid 12/16 can kill doe, not us .

you should have seen looks i got from hunters that were saying,SPROUL,THERE ARE NO DEER OUT THERE.
when i said above, I GOT DIRTY LOOKS.

why?they still want that meat..............

take a look at these

www.blackwidowbows.com
I got a blackwidow from the late 70s. I have to look for it though.I think it's in the attic with my bear recurve.The bearis an old recurve still in its sheath. Never shot it. Found in an atic I was cleaning out for an elderly couple and they told me I could have it.This was 15 to 20 years ago I have to say.Forgot about them till you mentiontioned that site.

those OLD bear kodiack bows are worth a LOT of money.

mine was appraised for over 1,000 dollars.

a LEFT hand one is even more money.

those BLACKWIDOW BOWS are one sweet bow to shoot.

the memories of the bear bows and ben pearson are something i wish kids today could have experienced.

no treestands,just a board with v cut in each end and grab tree and smimmy up tree.

bear bow around your neck with wood arrows and bear points and no sights on bow.

man, that was hunting and most fun was MISSING the big buck .

you would talk forever and most would not believe you,hehe.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's exactly how my hunting was Sproul, except I had a BlackHawk (Cravotta Bros.) bow.
I did the notched board, crotched tree thing also.
I always climbed with the bow around my neck.
Not the smartest thing, but I lived to tell the tale I guess.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fred Bear 45# and I can't for the life of me remember the name Whitetail???. Used to whap my arm when I had no forearm leather tied on.FinnalyMom made Dad buy me a finger glove to shoot as my fingers were getting beat to hell pulling that string. I was young and stupid, would climb up any tree no matter what size and try and shoot adeer while the tree was blowing around. Took about 20 arrows hunting w/me old wood ones w a Razorheads on most, but practice heads on others. Would shoot ranges w/ the practice heads so I knew what was too far. Remember smoothing those feathers back and my Dad giving me al the old beat ones. Finnaly met an old man who showed me how to put new on, that old man let me use his gear and earn feathers to out on my arrows. Wasn't any technology involved just plain practice on the straw bales in the back yard. Mud was camo on the face and Woolrich was the only hunting closthes I wore. Sorry that was a quick trip down memory lane for ,me!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my first archery buck, standing in the crotch of a tree, wearing blue jeans and a green t-shirt.
No sights either.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 AM

So "Everyone KNOWS"

New Jersey's 2008 F&G digest…………..

The crossbow is a popular hunting tool throughout the United States. Since 2002, eight states have added crossbow hunting.

New Jersey hunters have shown an increased interest in hunting with crossbows based on requests to Fish and Wildlife to add them as a legal sporting arm. New Jersey now has a proposal to expand the opportunity to use crossbows for deer hunting to all hunters beginning in the 2009-2010 deer seasons.

Crossbows are NOT legal for the 2008-09 deer seasons except for hunters issued a physically-challenged hunting permit.

The Fish and Game Council, which sets Garden State hunting regulations via the Game Code, acknowledges this growing interest in crossbows, as well as an objection to crossbows among some hunters. Fish and Wildlife’s role is to provide the Fish and Game Council with scientific data upon which to make regulatory decisions.

To that end, Fish and Wildlife conducted an opinion survey of resident hunting license holders about their preference regarding crossbow hunting. The report to the Council also compared the capabilities of crossbows and compound bows, plus reviewed the experience of other states that hunt with this equipment. In addition, Fish and Wildlife biologists examined the current research and literature to identify crossbow misconceptions.

For the survey, Fish and Wildlife biologists contacted a random selection of resident sportsmen and sportswomen representing all New Jersey hunters. Each license-holder type – i.e., all-around, archery, firearm, etc. – was sampled in the same proportion as they exist in the hunter population. This ensured all user groups were represented fairly. The survey demonstrated support for the expanded use of crossbows across all user groups. To view the survey results, go to

http://www.NJFishandWildlife.com/pdf...owsurvey07.pdf.

Crossbows resemble a firearm in that their short limbs are transversely mounted on a rifle stock and they have a trigger with a safety. The shooting technique is similar to shooting a rifle and is simple to learn. After cocking, crossbows hold the bowstring in the cocked position without the shooter’s continued effort and are released mechanically with a trigger. With practice, crossbows are accurate
and easily mastered.

However, the range and velocity of a crossbow is comparable to those of a compound bow. And just as with a compound, long or recurve bow, crossbow hunters must still develop shooting skills to be successful: correct cocking technique, proper stance, breath control, careful aim, smooth trigger pull and follow-through along with the ability to judge distance.

Data collected from the 48 states that currently have some type of crossbow hunting (including New Jersey) indicate that crossbows are as safe as other types of bows; their use does not increase either hunting accidents or wounding of game. The success rate of crossbow hunters is equal to – or only
slightly better than – hunters with compound bows. No state with legalized crossbow use during the archery seasons has needed to reduce the bag limit nor shorten the archery seasons as a result of
crossbow hunting.

The Council’s proposal to broaden crossbow use is based on the positive attributes of crossbow hunting. These benefits include improved hunter recruitment and retention, better deer management
in areas of suburban/rural interface and increased agency revenue.

Crossbows may encourage a greater participation by youths, women and others who have difficulty drawing a regular bow to engage in the sport and start (or maintain) a family hunting tradition.
Crossbows will also enable aging hunters with various physical limitations not defined as a handicap, to continue with or to come back to the sport they love. Crossbows can be a practical alternative in populated areas where firearms discharge has been restricted by local ordinance. This will assist Fish and Wildlife to achieve deer management objectives where hunter access has been limited. And while no additional fees will be charged to hunt with a crossbow, additional revenue is anticipated through an increase in archery license and Permit Bow Season permit sales.

After reviewing the survey results and the documentation provided by Fish and Wildlife biologists, the Fish and Game Council voted to amend the 2009-10 Game Code to broaden the definition of a bow to include crossbows, and allow their use for deer hunting in any open bow season for legal hunters of all ages. If adopted, this proposed amendment will not take effect until the 2009-10 hunting season.

Game Code changes to include crossbow hunting, as well as the other proposed changes to hunting and trapping regulations (see Proposed Changes to Hunting in New Jersey, page 80) are subject
to a public comment period whereby the citizens of New Jersey can express their opinion. Check periodically on Fish and Wildlife’s Web site (www.NJFishandWildlife.com) for details on the public
comment period, public meeting dates and to view the proposed changes to the Game Code.

And remember, crossbows are NOT legal during the 2008-09 deer seasons.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

Fred Bear 45# and I can't for the life of me remember the name Whitetail???. Used to whap my arm when I had no forearm leather tied on.FinnalyMom made Dad buy me a finger glove to shoot as my fingers were getting beat to hell pulling that string. I was young and stupid, would climb up any tree no matter what size and try and shoot adeer while the tree was blowing around. Took about 20 arrows hunting w/me old wood ones w a Razorheads on most, but practice heads on others. Would shoot ranges w/ the practice heads so I knew what was too far. Remember smoothing those feathers back and my Dad giving me al the old beat ones. Finnaly met an old man who showed me how to put new on, that old man let me use his gear and earn feathers to out on my arrows. Wasn't any technology involved just plain practice on the straw bales in the back yard. Mud was camo on the face and Woolrich was the only hunting closthes I wore. Sorry that was a quick trip down memory lane for ,me!
fred bear made 45# bow back in 1969 that was called WHITETAIL HUNTER.
my bear 45 # which was best all around pull weight on bow then.

ben pearson also made one called HUNTER then ,it was very short and one of best for shooting out of tree.

you most likely remember the ZEBRA white/black color fred used on his bows then.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:05 PM

I got a ben pearson predator 7359 recurve also if anyone is interested in a cheap recurve to try out.It has a BS-3356 58'' 40x-28'' writting on it.
Needs cleaned up.Has some paint on it.