Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA >

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

On the majority not wanting xbows any properly conducted survey done shows the majority does approve of them. It's a very vocal few that harp no xbows.

VA stats, they were recently approved for all here 3 years ago, show little to no impact on totals. State sold a few more licenses, and a few more deer were taken. Much ado over nothing. And before they became legal for all here we had a comment period. Ran 80% for xbows for all. I can only dream of the day VA becomes like Ohio where we get 4 months and the gun hunters get 2 weeks.

I posted on a VA. site did anyone have and adverse interaction with a xbow hunter after that first year. Zero replies. If I was younger I would still be using my compound but the xbow is easier for older hunters - handicapped or not.

And I too thought that first year I was going to prove all the pro xbow guys wrong with my newly acquired xbow. Ended up the same as I had done with the compound. It may sound convincing to some when it's told but the reality is it's the same as a compound in success rates and kill numbers.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Am I wrong or would a lot of midwestern states show drastic rises in deer harvests over the last 30 years because of drastically rising deer populations. I know that in Illinois deer harvests in the 70s were pretty low and had risen dramatically by the early 2000s. They have since leveled off somewhat with no statistically significant increase since use of the crossbow has been expanded. But then again, considering that deer populations have reached nuisance levels in some areas,I don't necessarily see a downside to drastic increases in deer harvest anyway.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

"shucks,are you going to switch to a crossbow?"

Now we are even, lol. Already said in last post injury took me out of vert hunting. What really gets mty goat is "Fine, use them, just not in bow season". Or, "you can already hunt gun or m/l season." How about; "Fine, get your own season". Like we xbow users are red headed step children relegated to the back of the bus due to bow choice. Some don't believe that we scout, prepare, hang stands, pattern deer just like you vert guys do. If in gun seasons, all of this is taking place in the preceeding archery seasons where we belong anyhow, so point is we are already in your woods at the same time you are. We know as well as you guys do once the gun seasons open the patterns change and alot of time the deer go nocturnal.

In 2002, xbows were only legal for all of archery season in 3 states, Wy, Oh, and Ar. Since then the list has grown a BUNCH. We have heard it all before. It hasn't made a pinch of poop's difference anywhere else and reason says it's not going to in your state either. Here's my honest opinion, they are coming to your state whether it be NJ, MI, PA or any of the others. Nothing you can do to stop it, and nothing I can do to speed it up. If your side is right, you will make history and be able to say "I told you so" the rest of your life. If our side is right as history shows, it's much ado about nothing.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now we are even so I'll now repeat what you said "my bad"
AS I understand you can use a crossbow with a permit?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: germain

Now we are even so I'll now repeat what you said "my bad"
AS I understand you can use a crossbow with a permit?
I'm from Illinois originally, used one w/ disabled [temp] permit there two seasons. I moved to Ar in 2002 where they have been legal for all for lose to 30 yrs. Last year, our harvest here was 161,000 deer, 10,600 by vert bow, 4200 by xbow and guns the rest. We can hunt from Oct 1st until last day in Feb and take 4 deer[2 buck only] total by any legal method. I've hunted every bow season since I got here and have never seen another hunter in the woods during archery season. They run dogs in my area in gun season, so that's it for a month or so until the deer settle back down. Ironically, in 2002 xbows were only legal in archery seasons in 3 states, now it's like 14-16 both full season and partial. There are alot of states that allow them during gun seasons. here's the latest state info on xbows, it's new and a tad behind already. http://www.crossbow.com/huntingregulations1 Have a good season!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

So Arkansas has a very long archery and crossbow deer season with significant overlap with firearms seasons?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

So Arkansas has a very long archery and crossbow deer season with significant overlap with firearms seasons?
Yes. All of the gun seasons run during archery season. Bear opens 10/1 along w/ deer for bows, but that's all over by about 11/06 or so when M/L bear opens as they go nocturnal. I don't mind any of this a bit. The dog hunters were here long before me and 5 weeks is plenty to gig a bear. If y'all think deer are smart and have a good nose, try and fool a black bear, lol.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its a done deal no matter what we say and think!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$and Harrisburg Hacks=screwed Hunters! The END IS NEAR!!!!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 07-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The END IS NEAR!!!!!!! You mean the end of the slurs, false info, out right lies and fear mongering concerning xbows? If so, you are probably right, the data keeps piling up. Various state game depts are seeing this and acting on it, virtually as we "speak".
Old 07-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Listen......... I think I just heard another crack in the wall. Won't be long till it all comes tumbling down.

Heck it's even got the Amish scared!

Quick Reply: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.