Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 COUGARS ARE HERE >

COUGARS ARE HERE

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

COUGARS ARE HERE

Old 02-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: COUGARS ARE HERE

ORIGINAL: crokit

I realize the thread was started concerning mountain lions, but talk of wolves caught my eye.

I took part in a deer drive just outside of Attica, ny, in 1977. Anyone familiar with that area & that year knows it was one of the harshest, coldest, falls/winters on record. One hunter fired a shot, claiming to miss a deer. Only several weeks later did I find out that the hunter took a beautiful timber wolf, thinking it was a large coyote.

It is believed that it crossed down from Canada over frozen Great lakes. That same winter, one was darted in Grand Island and released.

I saw the wolf pelt mentioned above. It was tanned by the hunter, who also was a trapper. Checked around at first to get a full body mount, until he was told about the 10,000$ fine that would come with it. To this day, the pelt hangs on his basement wall. It's huge, beautiful.
was color of that wolf a RUSTY RED COLOR?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:04 PM

I live in North/West N.J.and my 16 year old Son saw a Cougar this November on the farm we lease in Sussex county. I reported it to the DFG&W and they first told me it must have been an exotic animal allowed to roam free. Then they wanted the exact location for "their records only". I know of at least 6 other sightings in this region over the last 7-10 years.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DetLieut

I live in North/West N.J.and my 16 year old Son saw a Cougar this November on the farm we lease in Sussex county. I reported it to the DFG&W and they first told me it must have been an exotic animal allowed to roam free. Then they wanted the exact location for "their records only". I know of at least 6 other sightings in this region over the last 7-10 years.
well, at least they did not tell you it was bobcat or housecat or their favorite one,THEY DO NOT EXIST.
yes, they are using the PET thing now,cant be wild cougar.
yes, pgc here in pa. is also taking info now do to pressure from our state reps.

look atthis site for more info.

www.easternpumaresearch.com

Old 02-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

that wolf i would say went 80 pds..
Sorry but some coytes here reach 80lbs., they are the biggest killers of deer here. Being big makes them leaders of the pack and it is estimated most of them are in fact around 80% wolf. But still are known as the Eastern Coyote.. Though it still was possible to be a wolf, as 1 was shot here and the guy spent some time in jail for it as well as fines and will never be allowed to hunt again. It was a black one that he misstook for a bear..

Here is a pic I had up last year that a friends son caught in a trap..Last year he had a coyote half eaten by another one when he got to his traps.. Happened overnight. This pic is just about 2lbs. shy of 80lbs.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

was color of that wolf a RUSTY RED COLOR?

No. It is the classic grey/black/white look. Though it's been quite awhile, I believe it weighed 110lbs, not field dressed.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

i guess our coyotes are lot less in weight.

i had 2 coyotes come into me today,i think in same pack we got 2 out of earlier this month.

this is first year in awhile that we are seeing more than 2 hunting together..

you are talking about WOLF,are wolves rusty red brown or was i seeing a LARGE COYOTE in that color which we have not got one in that color or saw one like that or size.

that WOLF i believe i saw was BIG or long .
rt144 is not real wide road, when i saw him his tail looked like it was touching the edge of berm and his nose close to yellow line .

in 50 yrs of hunting ,i never in my life saw so many coyotes and other predators.
this started about 10/12 years ago we started seeing coyote tracks and never did and dad said he never heard of coyote or ever saw track here in clinton/potter countyto much back from that time to 1915 or so area.

heck, a COUGAR sighting you never heard of ,now, its a common occurence for most hunters you talk to that said they saw one.

most of sighting are from 1996 to now on COUGARS and also coyotes.no one all thru my childhood or my dads ever said they saw COUGAR other than at camp in left branch of youngwomans creek,a friend of dads said he shot at cougar trying to break into camp during the depression in 1930.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

heck, a COUGAR sighting you never heard of ,now, its a common occurence for most hunters you talk to that said they saw one.
okey dokey
Old 02-25-2008, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

okey dokey
Charlie, I think he left out a few key words that would've made it all makebetter sense.....

heck, a COUGAR sighting you never heard of ,now, its a common occurence for most hunters you talk to at the local barthat said they saw one.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

heck, a COUGAR sighting you never heard of ,now, its a common occurence for most hunters you talk to at the local barthat said they saw one.
.......and you left out 2.

"heck, a COUGAR sighting you never heard of ,now, its a common occurence for most hunters you talk toat the local barin Renovo that said they saw one.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

they feel they are coming from what the USA TODAY article confirmed. and where might that be?
Ever going to answer this one?

Quick Reply: COUGARS ARE HERE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.