HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   COUGARS ARE HERE (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/233071-cougars-here.html)

sproulman 02-17-2008 09:21 PM

COUGARS ARE HERE

i hope you got to read the usa today on friday.

it had article from 4 states, arkansas,missouri,,nebraska,montana.
they talked about CONFIRMED cougars in those states and others..
10 confirmed sighting in missouri alone.
they said they found kitten and confirming litters also.

the DNR shot 1 and it was WILD cougar, not tame.

also they figure what is causing this is they are migrating more towards north central usa.

they said that no cougars were in these states from 1906 to now.

they also said they had sighting and it was confirmed when 1 was shot by farmer ,another by a forestry dnr person.

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,well ,are NON -BELIEVERS ready.;)

bronko22000 02-18-2008 07:27 AM

RE: COUGARS ARE HERE

Here we go again. I know from reading that 'panthers' were in NC PA back in the 1800's. Our cabin had an old map of the area showing where these were shot and by who. So why not believe they are coming back? Sproulman - our cabin is up on Hyner Run. As you know that is big country there. Plenty of room for an animal as elusive as a cougar to roam and remain unseen. My only question is now that there are more roads, al be it they are dirt roads, why hasn't someone cut a track duing the winter snow? You would think that one of these critters would cross a road sometime in search of food.

sproulman 02-18-2008 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Here we go again. I know from reading that 'panthers' were in NC PA back in the 1800's. Our cabin had an old map of the area showing where these were shot and by who. So why not believe they are coming back? Sproulman - our cabin is up on Hyner Run. As you know that is big country there. Plenty of room for an animal as elusive as a cougar to roam and remain unseen. My only question is now that there are more roads, al be it they are dirt roads, why hasn't someone cut a track duing the winter snow? You would think that one of these critters would cross a road sometime in search of food.
yes, hyner is remote too, johnson run,my family OWNED it at one time,i still have deed to it from 1900.

I AGREE with you on tracks in snow and lack of sighting during winter..
how many of us know what track looks like?
personelly, i think we are looking at cougars that are not too many.

according to DNR guy who shot cougar in those states, he said they are ROAMING over 300 miles,from state to state.

so, we may only be looking a cat or 2 in pa.that may ROAM in and out of state..

most feel our cougars are coming from NEW YORK STATE.

cougar is real elusive..

did you know that cougar group has a CONFIRMED TRACK from CLINTON COUNTY.
they do have picture of it on the internet..

so, if cougars roam a lot and dont stay in area,its hard to get track or follow there movements..

if WCO from clearfield in 1990 or sowould have met with me, we would have had a CONFIRMED TRACK to put on here.

he stated to me,SPROUL GROUND IS TO HARD AND I DONT BELIEVE THEY EXIST.

so, there you go.

i KNOW what i saw,tail too..

when you see cougar in woodsit will in NO WAY look like a bobcat.

if i was cougar, i would head SOUTH where its warmer and lots of food in winter,i would not stay up here and live off MICE .meeeow:D

Charlie P 02-18-2008 08:55 AM

Where they hasn't been a confirmed sighting either?

Confirmed by who?

Wait what am I doing? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

mikepsu54 02-18-2008 09:03 AM

LEts get this straight i do not beleive there is cougars here in PA. That said i was hunting this year deer driving when i came upon a track. A big track. Not a bear track to big to be a coyote. I asked a guy in the group and he said it was a cougar track. I thought he was joking but he said thats what it was. He is a taxadermist too. I dont know. But it was a big track. definetly not a bear. WHAT ELSE IS OUT THEIR.i guess it could have been a black panther.

SteveBNy 02-18-2008 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Confirmed by who?

Charlie - thanks for saving me some typing.

Steve

BTBowhunter 02-18-2008 11:58 AM

Hey guys, give ole Sproul a break! Cougars have been confirmed in states that are barely over 750 miles away. It's even in the USA Today.

Of course that means we have them here!!!!

mumble mumble mumble, (hic)..... BARTENDER!.... (hic) ....ANOTHER SHOT AND A BEER!....mumble mumble mumble..... Probably trucked in by (hic) insurance companies with that last load of coyotes.... mumble mumble mumble NOTHER BEER PLEASE!!.... mumble mumble mumble....dang crews killin all the deer.....mumble mumble mumble....comin in from areas with lots ofdeerbut theykill em all here.... mumble mumble mumble....usin kids tags.... mumble mumble (hic) mumble.....dang inlines...CAN I GET ANOTHER SHOT DOWN HERE?....mumble mumble mumble

Pawildman 02-18-2008 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

yes, hyner is remote too, johnson run,my family OWNED it at one time,i still have deed to it from 1900.

I AGREE with you on tracks in snow and lack of sighting during winter..
how many of us know what track looks like?
personelly, i think we are looking at cougars that are not too many.

according to DNR guy who shot cougar in those states, he said they are ROAMING over 300 miles,from state to state.

so, we may only be looking a cat or 2 in pa.that may ROAM in and out of state..

cougar is real elusive..

so, if cougars roam a lot and dont stay in area,its hard to get track or follow there movements..

if WCO from clearfield in 1990 or sowould have met with me, we would have had a CONFIRMED TRACK to put on here.

he stated to me,SPROUL GROUND IS TO HARD AND I DONT BELIEVE THEY EXIST.

so, there you go.

i KNOW what i saw,tail too..

when you see cougar in woodsit will in NO WAY look like a bobcat.

if i was cougar, i would head SOUTH where its warmer and lots of food in winter,i would not stay up here and live off MICE .meeeow:D
...........and the band plays on.............................

sproulman 02-18-2008 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Confirmed by who?

go to their site charlie,i think its called EASTERNCOUGAR.

also, experts feel they are not coming from new york, they feel they are coming from what the USA TODAY article confirmed.

get a copy of paper and read it,i only put this on here for info.
or call the WCO that shot one and farmer too.

or call EASTERNCOUGAR group and ask for copy of CONFIRMED TRACK they got in clinton county.;)

Charlie P 02-18-2008 02:38 PM

Can't find a thing on their site abouta track in Clinton County. Dis find this map on another site. Nothing in pa. The one in ny was a long time ago.

Guess they are having a little trouble getting across the Missisippi