HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters
Old 02-01-2007, 05:50 AM
doughboysigep
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Blaze Orange - Simply put, this would make the woods safer and potential accidents could be avoided, period. It can’t make it more dangerous. Just because hunters (or anybody in the woods during hunting season for that matter) would be required to wear orange, doesn’t mean we would then abandon the safety rules we should always be following. But it would make it safer for those in the woods with others that may not heed those rules or have a lapse in judgment. It would also reduce the chance of “honest” mistakes occurring (i.e. - a person walking 200 yards away in brush or thick woods is much easier to see wearing blaze than if he has camo on). There are those who oppose this regulation simply because it would be a regulation. It’s the “I don’t need the government telling me what to do” mentality. To some degree that mentality is valid, but I would argue that in most cases the same people don’t like the government telling them to not drink and drive, speed, or talk on their cell phone while driving. As with the driving examples, it’s not all about keeping yourself safe, you are also protecting others (a hunter that may not be able to see you and take a shot he shouldn’t). I am not saying we need blaze on head to toe and have it on for all seasons. A hat or vest is plenty and should be worn in firearm seasons.

Rifle Hunting in So. Zone - I don’t think the jury is out anymore on this change. It was not the dangerous evil that some thought it would be. I love being able to take my rifles hunting in the So. Zone (although it hasn’t helped me harvest a deer yet!!), even if it is only for the fact that I get use out of my investment. The extra accuracy is also a bonus (the extra range doesn’t really come into play where I hunt, but is nice to have). I think that anywhere the terrain & landscape deems it safe (woods, hills, mountains to stop errant shots and low population densities) it should be available to hunters.