HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters
Old 01-24-2007, 07:52 PM
doughboysigep
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Late Crossbow Season - Start after the end of the regular season, like late bow, but run a bit longer. Have it run 14 days (through Sunday). As I stated earlier, you would still only have a max of 2 tags (1 either sex & 1 antlerless) to use between the 3 implements (ML, Bow, XB). After monitoring XB use and harvests, seasons could, potentially, be expanded.
Late ML Season - I have always thought that there should be equity for the ML season(s). I believe the late season is a great place to get that equity. I would propose that late ML run from the day after the regular season closes until December 31st. I know some get worried that bucks will be shot mistakenly for doe if their antlers have dropped. In my eyes that is not that big of an issue, but if it is a concern then the last week of the late ML could be antlerless only (with proper tags of course).

I have tried to take into account all types of deer hunters with this fictional deer season. I have, no doubt, forgotten some details here and there, but I think the overall gist of my “dream season” is there. I also know and have heard all the arguments for & against the above scenarios and have taken them into account. Now let’s look at some of the other issues and resolutions related to hunting in New York..........