Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Possible Mt lion track >

Possible Mt lion track

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Possible Mt lion track

Old 01-02-2007, 08:24 AM

Default RE: Possible Mt lion track

Yeah I was waiting for the Sasquatch comments to come into play. - I am supprised that I have not gotten more feed back on this pic - Usually the people who post comment on the mt lion threads are all about pictures and wanting to see more evidence -

I find something that could very well be a Mt Lion track and no one says anything - Now don't get me wrong the track is a little degraded but when compared to the pic of the track I got online of an actual mt lion track there are more than a couple similarities and the size is pretty accurate too.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Looks similiar to me. Where abouts do you live?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:34 AM

Here is a pic that I edited to put in a couple of lines to see how features of the track match up -

Airborneguy-I live in Cattaraugus County, in Western NY - West Valley -
I took this pic on the bank of Elton Creek in Delevan NY which is about 15 minutes from my house.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: jhoffman

Yeah I was waiting for the Sasquatch comments to come into play. - I am surprised that I have not gotten more feed back on this pic - Usually the people who post comment on the mt lion threads are all about pictures and wanting to see more evidence -

I find something that could very well be a Mt Lion track and no one says anything - Now don't get me wrong the track is a little degraded but when compared to the pic of the track I got on line of an actual mt lion track there are more than a couple similarities and the size is pretty accurate too.
It was a joke !

But your picture like all other claims of lion sign leaves more than a little room for skepticism.

Maybe a trail cam picwould give you better proof.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:02 PM

I know it was a joke - did not mean to come off as being defensive or anything.

Yeah a pic of the actual lion would definately be better than a track - what really has me thinking that this is a lion is the location I found the track in.

This is within 100 yards of where my brother says he saw a mt lion last spring while trout fishing. It is also within a couple hundered yards of where two other people claim to have seen a lion. It is in a big valley along a creek with a lot of hard woods on the back side and a couple of hundered acres of land with no roads on the back side. There has been people saying there where mt lion in that section of woods since I was 12 now I am 29 and that is the first sign that I have actually seen that really has me convinced there is something there. This particular spot also has five deer carcases laying around from a couple of locals that think it is OK to just dump the remains of the deer from season after processing thier own deer.

Like I have said in other posts - I do not blame people for being skeptical there is deffinately more false claims than legit ones and there are a lot of people that do not really know what they are seeing when in the woods because they just do not have the background or knowledge to know. I do also believe that the majority of sightings that are legit are probably exotic pets that got to be too much for the owner and they were turned loose. I do find it hard to believe there are many actual wild mt lions running around in NY state or PA. Although it is possible just not very likely in my opinion.

I really posted these pics to see if anyone would be able to substantiate what I thought the track was or to give me a reasonable alternative.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:13 PM

If you chose to set a camera you might want to read some old trapping books about how there used attractants to lure a cat.

If you set up over those deer carcasses you will waste a lot of film on B.S.
A single feather glued to a light fishing line an tied to a swivel placed in a open are will work at catching a cats eye from a long distance without drawing coons & possums.
Good luck a good picture would be worth some serious cash to the right people.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:08 PM

to me it looks like that track is about 5 in long going by the dollar bill for a refernce. the question is could a bobcat's print be that big? if not then there's not a whole lot of other things it could be.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is a pic of a lion my uncle treed in Idaho - that is my uncle in the pic and that is a camera not binocs.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:27 AM

Another Pic of a successful lion hunt in Idaho w/ a bow.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Just for informational purposes here's some info for everyone:

Characrteristics of mountain lion versus dog tracks:

Mountain Lion
1. Claw markes generally absent. If present, they will be sharp and narrow.
2. Four tear-drop shaped toes, grouped asymetrically.
3. Trapaziodal shaped heel pad.
4. Three lobed heel pad with two indentations along rear margin.

Dog
1. Toenail prints generally present will be blunt and broad.
2. Four round shaped toes grouped symetrically.
3. Triangular shaped heel pad.
4. Heel pad lacks distinct indentations and three lobed appearance.

See also:
http://www.bigcats.org/abc/identification/pumadogtracks.html

Quick Reply: Possible Mt lion track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.