Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Possible Mt lion track >

Possible Mt lion track

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Possible Mt lion track

Old 01-03-2007, 01:17 PM

Default RE: Possible Mt lion track

It is just so hard to tell from a picture. It sometimes works better to put a quarter in the pad for size.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

jhoffman,where was that track found and who confirmed it as a mountain lion?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I
Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

No one confirmed it as a mountain lion. He was trying to see if anyone could identify it as such, based on the fact that there have been reports of sightings in the area and the resemblance it holds to a mountain lion track.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

He said the pictutre used for comparison was a confirmed mountain lion track.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:48 PM

Were you able to pick up a second print, even partial? Always use measurment between tracks for walking spand. If you continue to measurestart doing a 360 from the first track, with a measurment of about 20-26 inches. You might come up with a second, third and fouth track.
Keep looking you may have big company. A bob cat print is only about 2 1/2 inches, even the big ones we have had pictures from.
Here's more on tracks....
http://www.trackincats.com/trackingslash.php

Cougardaville
Old 01-04-2007, 07:49 PM

[/align]Let us know what you find when the snows on the ground ,I think it's a very large bobcat track.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:35 AM

I don't know what the weather is like where you are but I'm guessing it is about like ours in Northern PA ---warm enough that a bear could be out of it's den.
I halfway expect to see a bear any day now while bowhunting. This morning at 4:10 a.m. it is 53 degrees. Also, December broke all records for warm temps.
I busted a bear out of it's nest years ago in Wyoming State Forest during a December hunt, and it was a lot colder that year than it is now.
Just a thought.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:37 AM

The track I used for comparison is just a track I got off of google - I typed in Mt Lion tracks and found a pic of one for comparison purposes.

I have not been able to find another track - that section of sand is only about 3' by 4' and its mostly rocks and underbrush like what you would find next to a small creek.

I have been looking for more tracks while walking my trapline but without snow it is hard to find much. It has made trapping hard this year without snow too.

BailyHill - where are you from - where you run both bobcat and cougar with your dogs? I have two coon hounds that have put bobcat up a tree in PA I never even thought to turn them loose and see what they worked out. That it'd been something - hunting coon one night and finding a mt lion up the tree - .22 rim fire wouldn't help much at that point would it. -

I'll keep you posted if I find another track I'll post another pic.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:42 PM

Where abouts in PA are you living now? I have property in St Mary's that we deer hunt - I would love to get down there and trap and like I said my dogs tree'd a bob cat down there this past fall.

I am primarily training them on coon being that we can not hunt bobcats in Western NY - but My uncle live in ID and runs hounds on Mt lions out there. They do pretty good too. They have Plott's that they run. What are your dogs?

Quick Reply: Possible Mt lion track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.