Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Long Island Hunters (When is the real rut) >

Long Island Hunters (When is the real rut)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Long Island Hunters (When is the real rut)

Old 10-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Long Island Hunters (When is the real rut)

Went out for the first time this year on monday Morning. I am hunting from the ground right now but man do I wish I had a treestand on Monday. I got into the woods before daylight and I used something i picked up at Sports Authority, It is called Buck Bomb doe in estrus. It sets off a huge mist for 2 mins. About 20 mins later I heard a noise behind me. It was not real loud, but with my back to a tree I had to move a bit to see. As i turned my head I was faced to faced with a huge doe and two fawns. She busted me as her tail flew up and she started to stomp the ground. I stood still for a while and she settled down but never took her eyes from me. Eventually all three deer mad their way over to the buck bomb can which was about 5 feet away but the big doe kept looking at me. They spent about 20 mins within 10 yards from me, they would not leave the can alone. she finally walked about 30 yards away and all though I was able to get to full draw I did not feel I could get a clean kill shot. My distance is 25 yards or less and anything more I i will pass on. I did not want to risk wounding her. Had I been ina treestand this dear would be in my freezer right know.

I hunt in Long Island,when is the rut in full effect and has anybody else ever used Buck Bomb before.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Long Island Hunters (When is the real rut)

Like everywhere else in the northern hemisphere anytime give or take the 15th of Nov.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Jersey generally heats up around Halloween and goes strong until about Veteran's Day.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:02 AM

Was hunting out in Westhampton yesterday{10-19} there were alot ofscrapes. Took an 8 ptr. that was walking with a doe.I haven't tried the bomb yet...but I'll let you know.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Broadhead88

Jersey generally heats up around Halloween and goes strong until about Veteran's Day.
Your correct however you'd be surprised that the "peak" is beyond Veterans day. You pretty much talking "prerut" from Halloween through that time period. It is more productive as far as seeing the chase etc..peak rut is when about 90 % of the doe are in estrous, you will see less chasing etc because bucks are on does, usually bedding during morning and evening and being active at night and mid day. Of course the exception is a buck leaving one doe for another but at peak time, that's not far off.

Oct 21'st is coined for the start of the "hard" pre-rut and peak being from Nov 8 through the 21'st of Nov give or take days on either side.....post being after in most of the Northern Hemishere.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

The real answer is that there is no peak rut on Long Island in my opinion. The buck to doe ratio is so out of wack that the bucks do not have to compete for does so there is not much fighting to breed. You will see chasing and bucks hounding does of course but not like you would see in Illinois or other states where there are more mature deer and a better buck to doe ratio.