Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
IDNR ARCHERY DEER CHECKINS FOR 2002 >

IDNR ARCHERY DEER CHECKINS FOR 2002

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IDNR ARCHERY DEER CHECKINS FOR 2002

Old 02-07-2002, 05:00 AM
Spike

Default RE: IDNR ARCHERY DEER CHECKINS FOR 2002

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Idnr doesn't allow alcohol to be served on the premises.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

That's not true.

Bear's Package Liquor, Pulaski Cty-Firearm's Check station

This past year, the Spur Inn (a tavern), in Karnak was the Firearm's Check station in Pulaski

14th St. Liquors-Archery Checkstation in Jackson Cty

Ron's One Stop-Archery Check station in Williamson Cty at a gas station that also sells alcohol

And those are just off the top of my head.

Old 02-08-2002, 01:18 AM

Why do you think having a check station forces people to go there? Poachers don't use check stations. The archery check stations I go to just hand me the band and I put it on myself. They sure as heck don't examine the deer. They have a business to run and don't have time. They don't get paid enough to make time. The gun check stations are a different story. They monitor those pretty closely. As I understand it, when you call in you would be given an I.D. number. You have to give that number to the meat locker, just like the band from the check station. If you proccess your own, it would be a lot easier to call it in, and your meat will be a whole lot fresher. If you are a poacher, you weren't going to the check station anyway. I hope they go to call in for archery and leave gun season as is. I may be a minority, but that's my opinion.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:58 AM
Fork Horn

I was at Crab scouting geese about a month ago. This guy was in the center buying 6 more tags. Note he already had to have a double tag with the bow. Think he was really planning on shooting 6 more? Woudn't you normallly buy 2 more assumining you had a freezer 8 foot long? I'm not a deer hunter but something seems to be wrong with the system there. That ole boy shot a bunch of deer and wanted to be legal on the way out. As far as shooting a deer just for the rack, that is a total waste of wildlife. I feed the herd corn here but is for pure aestetic reasons only. I don't shoot them nor do I let the neighbors until they leave my ground. I am no wildlife or political expert but, don't you think if they would count the permits sold instead of the check-ins that they would get a more accurate count. It just seems that way in this part of the state. Almost all will pay for the permits around here but don't use them unless they have to. You can quarter it up and take it in to the meat lockers at any later date to make your special cuts and sausages and stuff.
Old 02-08-2002, 03:03 AM
Fork Horn

Just for a little added tid bit, I know 6 persons around here that have meat saws in their garage and pole barns. You think they don't know how to use them?
Old 02-09-2002, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

The fact is there are always going to be cheaters in everything in life, but checking in deer is necessary and it doesn't take much time and effort to do it. Bad idea for Illinois to do away with it. It boils down to money being used for other purposes. I'm telling you now that Illinois is one of the most crooked states in the union!

Remember how they almost shut down many state park and rec. areas a few yrs. ago? Well enough voices were screaming to get it stoppoed. Maybe a petition could stop this nonsense! Ill. Hunter, I am with you on the stupidity of unlimited doe permits for bow. Sure some will always tag a deer for others but now, it just makes it easier to carry tags with hunter's name on it paid for by someone else. I already am dealing with a couple of idiots hunting my area who kill anything and everything that moves, simply because they have the opportunity to kill as many does as they can, and for those who think deer are always in unlimited numbers, it only takes a yr. or two to knock deer numbers down.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been bowhunting Illinois since our 1st season (ya, a long time) & have seen all the no check, phone in & check in systems. Our state & others. I have no problem with the phone in as MOST TRUE hunters obey the laws. Those that don't will not. no matter what the rules.
I do have a problem with our tags thou. I, & I love to bowhunt would like to see a 1 BUCK PER YEAR no matter how he is killed & start a 2 DOE LIMIT OR QUOTA LIMIT (kill) per county. This is just my thoughts & I have seen some bad DNR moves over the years. I did have a hand in stopping the unlimited Buck tags when they 1st started that.

always thankful
Old 02-10-2002, 10:09 AM

Two bucks per season is a good compromise. We have the deer to easily support it. I wouldn't mind a limit on does. Some places encourage you to shoot them because they have too many, and other places have a shortage. What may be right for your area may not be right for another.