Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 IDNR changing state of deer hunting. >

IDNR changing state of deer hunting.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IDNR changing state of deer hunting.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default IDNR changing state of deer hunting.

Good article from Chicago Tribune. Thought others would like to see it so I'll post it. Of course the writer is Lew Freedman and he deserves a thanks for this report. Thanks Lew!

Would like to hear all others feedback on these proposals, please.

ON THE OUTDOORS

IDNR changing state of deer hunting

BY LEW FREEDMAN
Published February 27, 2005

Are there too many out-of-state deer hunters? Are they not being made welcome enough?

A group of deer hunting proposals the Illinois Department of Natural Resources has made public would change non-residents' methods of obtaining permits, eliminate a long-ingrained reporting style for all deer hunters in the state and make other alterations in rules.

While not changing the cap of 15,000 non-resident hunters, the ideas the IDNR has suggested to take effect for the 2005-06 deer hunting season are getting a mixed reception among those most affected.

IDNR director Joel Brunsvold last week released ideas his department supports:

- All non-residents would be allowed to purchase one or more antlerless-only archery deer permits at $25 each. IDNR spokesman Joe Bauer said the idea is to encourage taking of more does in overcrowded areas and to allow someone who owns a farm to invite an out-of-state friend for a hunt without paying the large fees an outfitter charges.

- Non-resident combination buck-doe archery deer hunting permits will be available through a lottery system instead of a first-come, first-served telephone system. The first 7,500 non-resident clients of resident outfitters would receive lottery preference. When all 7,500 are taken, remaining outfitter clients will have to compete with other non-residents for the additional 7,500 permits. Bauer said out-of-staters say it would help and the maximum should not be reached. Non-residents would enter the lottery between June 1 and July 31.

- All deer hunters would report their kills by telephone instead of the traditional in-person reporting at a check station. This tracks the system used by turkey hunters. "Check stations have really gotten to be out of date," Bauer said. "There are long lines. We don't receive data in a timely way. At the close of business every day we'll have data." IDNR doesn't even have the totals from the most recent deer hunting season ending in January, Bauer said. The 2003-04 harvest was 168,762.

- The fee for a resident outfitter permit will increase from $250 to $500.

"We're trying to streamline everything," Bauer said.

The public has 45 days from last Friday to submit comments on the proposals to IDNR legal counsel Jack Price at 1 Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702. There will be a public hearing on the proposals at the Artisans Building at the State Fairgrounds in Springfield on March 25.

The issue of whether there should be any cap on non-resident hunters in a state is playing out across the country. In its December/January issue Outdoor Life presented pro and con positions. An opponent of caps called the situation "non-resident discrimination." A cap proponent used Pike County, Ill., as an example.

The opponent offered that the earliest conservation movement supporters said that wildlife belonged to all of the citizens. The proponent talked of locals being squeezed out of the Pike County picture in favor of paying customers.

Angela Ruble, director of the Pike County Chamber of Commerce, who said deer hunting has a $12.5 million economic impact on the area, does not like the new proposals.

"It's another way to limit hunters without adjusting the cap put in place that isn't working," said Ruble, who said Pike County wants the cap eliminated. "Many people were turned away. They couldn't get a tag."

Ruble said she would hate to see check stations go away.

"I think that's part of the tradition, showing the pride in what you got," Ruble said. "Having 22 people standing around looking at your deer."

Bob Becker, president of the Illinois Federation for Outdoor Resources, which represents 117 outdoor organizations, said most of the proposals seem sound. He thinks allowing the $25 antlerless tag is fine, but that not many will be sold. He also thinks the shift to telephone reporting of the harvest is good for scientific research and that the lottery system "is fair. We feel there definitely should be a cap."

The worry about deer hunting among bow hunters, said Jerry Gille, president of United Bowhunters of Illinois, is that non-residents take spots from residents. "The focus is on access," Gille said. "I don't think [the proposals] are going to make much of a difference for residents."
Old 02-28-2005, 08:20 AM

Default RE: IDNR changing state of deer hunting.

There are good things and bad about this. Good: No more waiting at check station. Bad: A lot easier to shoot more than two bucks per year. No matter what they do it won't be perfect, that is impossible, but at least they are trying something. I'm not going to comment on the non-resident issure, since I am a resident.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Dumb idea to do away with check stations! Scientific data would be gathered more easily by phone? Comon, give me a break. All this does is make it easier to NOT report a deer kill.

Personally, I am sick and tired of hearing Pike County complain that they will lose money with the caps in place.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would hate to loose the Archery check stations. That is all part of checking the deer in, the anticipation of what will be there. The guys around here always take pictures of the bucks that come in and hang them on the bulletin board.

All this does is make it easier to NOT report a deer kill.
I will agree with that 100%.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree it will make it too easy or tempting to not report kills (bucks or does!).

I think the check stations are A TRADITION. I know our boys (and me, too) like to get to the stations and see what's coming in, what times they were taken, travel patterns, areas they were shot, etc....

And as for Pike County's crying................Since when is deer hunting about money? The time we share together as a family with my boys and nephews, or the comrodory with close friends is PRICELESS!

Now that Pike is all sold out all you hear is whining. Locals with no place to hunt cause it's pay the way. non residents crying there's no openings, it's too expensive, boo hoo hoo. A Kleenex tissue factory would do very well out there.

I know the Pike County folks will be chiming in with something along the lines of, "you're just jealous of our big bucks." or "you're just mad you don't get a tag for Pike." or "you mad cause you can't afford to hunt Pike." Whatever, those type of folks don't see the real picture.

As for me, there's plenty of big bucks in southern IL (and plenty of other counties recently-as the facts support). How friggin many mounts do you have room for anyway. Sure I'll take another true trophy if given the opportunity, but filling the freezer with prime venison is the name of the game and does taste better than antlers. I'm sure I could pull another tag for Pike (I have in the past), if I applied. My cousin is in Pittsfield and hunting ground is no problem. Money ain't no thing either.

I can't consider a trophy animal one you pay to hunt a property and take after someone else doing the homework for you. It's kinda like entering your kid in a marathon, driving him to the finish line and letting him cross the line first. "Here's your trophy, kid, you're a great athlete!" I believe the only way to truly EARN a trophy is to study the land and habitat, study the creature's habits, pattern the animal and truly hunt it. Not listen to some local kid/farm hand ("guide") tell ya "I've been watching him everyday now for a couple months now (when you've been home changing diapers, mowing the lawn and punching the time clock). Sit in this stand/blind, and if the wind is right, keep your eyes peeled to the creek bottom and about 4:35 or 4:45 he'll be pushing thru here. Call me on the radio (if he ain't spotting for you and calling you) and I'll have one of the boys jump down there with a four wheeler and take him out for you "

Ain't no one buying their hunts for months at a time to spend time in the woods themselves to learn and pattern. On your own property where you live - yes. On a lease - I don't see it.

Don't get me wrong, I have had the honor of meeting some beautiful folks out in Pike (besides my cousin). And there are some who are just whining cause what they view as their own personal "pot of gold" might get spread around a bit.

OK boys. let me have it. I got big shoulders (to hang my belly on).

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 02-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I WANT the checkin stations to stay really. I mean in reality if this proposal goes into affect the deer harvests numbers will go down because no one will call it in. And they say they are going to get research out of that? if they even get anything out of it it will be inaccurate.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

And as for Pike County's crying................Since when is deer hunting about money? The time we share together as a family with my boys and nephews, or the comrodory with close friends is PRICELESS!

Now that Pike is all sold out all you hear is whining. Locals with no place to hunt cause it's pay the way. non residents crying there's no openings, it's too expensive, boo hoo hoo. A Kleenex tissue factory would do very well out there.

I know the Pike County folks will be chiming in with something along the lines of, "you're just jealous of our big bucks." or "you're just mad you don't get a tag for Pike." or "you mad cause you can't afford to hunt Pike." Whatever, those type of folks don't see the real picture.
lol well someone had to say it and i have to say i agree with you 100%!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't consider a trophy animal one you pay to hunt a property and take after someone else doing the homework for you. It's kinda like entering your kid in a marathon, driving him to the finish line and letting him cross the line first. "Here's your trophy, kid, you're a great athlete!" I believe the only way to truly EARN a trophy is to study the land and habitat, study the creature's habits, pattern the animal and truly hunt it. Not listen to some local kid/farm hand ("guide") tell ya "I've been watching him everyday now for a couple months now (when you've been home changing diapers, mowing the lawn and punching the time clock). Sit in this stand/blind, and if the wind is right, keep your eyes peeled to the creek bottom and about 4:35 or 4:45 he'll be pushing thru here. Call me on the radio (if he ain't spotting for you and calling you) and I'll have one of the boys jump down there with a four wheeler and take him out for you "
Well I don't guess it really matters what you consider it. I pay to lease a property for a week in IL. The guy shows me where the proerty is and says have at it. Now lets flip that coin, if I go in and scout and and hang my own stands without any input from the farmer and I kill a deer without the several months that you have to scout, does that make be a better hunter than you? You know not of that which you speak. You can lump everyone that pays for access into the same group. I take a piece of property, digest everything I can from scouting it in one day and then hang stands and hunt (by myself not accompied by a landowner or anyone else) and since I didn't need to scout it for a month my deer isn't a trophy[8D] P.........U............H............LEEZE
Old 02-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't get me wrong, I have had the honor of meeting some beautiful folks out in Pike (besides my cousin). And there are some who are just whining cause what they view as their own personal "pot of gold" might get spread around a bit.
Isnt that what residents who want to limit NR's are doing? Not wanting to share their personal "pot of gold"?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

Dont get to caught up in the NR tags right now. The proposal the DNR wants can get tossed right out the window with HB1161 . This bill has made it all the way through and will be voted on in the near future. This bill says there will be NO LIMIT on archery tags for the resident or Non-resident. So if this passes open the doors up cause its going to get real interesting. With no limit on tags kiss the 2 buck limit goodbye. They want to make money as fast as possible to help the state out and use our deer herd to help.

And whens the last time you stood in "line" to check a deer in during archery season????

Quick Reply: IDNR changing state of deer hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.