Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Trespassing and missing trailcam! >

Trespassing and missing trailcam!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Trespassing and missing trailcam!

Old 11-04-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Trespassing and missing trailcam!

I have a problem.

I just purchased a cabin with a few acres in nirthern Wisconsin.
Last week I found a treestand on my property, I think it might be the neighbors.
He may have had permission from the previous owner, but has said nothing to me.

Also yesterday I discovered my new trailcam missing from a trail I was watching.
It was located near the treestand. Any ideas on how to approach the neighbor?

I don't want an enemy as a neighbor, but I don't want him on my property and I do want my camera back!
Old 11-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trespassing and missing trailcam!

If its your cabin you definitealy need someone to watch over your land while you are not there. The person needs to know that because your camera is missing you are not going to tolerate tresspassers and that because he didn't ask he doesn't have permission this year or next but you may reconsider in the future..
Old 11-04-2004, 11:25 AM

First off on the tree stand, I'd just ask him about it and if it is his tell him your putting one of yours on his property if he doesn't mind. If he hesitates explain to him you want it removed and not replaced or relocated on your property. If he does not claim it, remove it yourself and turn it into the local DNR office. But prior to that I'd ask him about the camera that is missing. See what kind of reaction you get and use your own judgement.

I was up there on the other side of county "O" last week and was so discouraged by all the ATVs off marked trials I packed up and went home.
I had scouted for a couple of days and had settled in on a stand off Walton road on county land. After an entire day in the stand I see a couple of deer feeding in my direction on the acorns. They were about 75 yards out when two ATVs roar in and cause them to change directions. I stayed and later two bucks with their nose to the ground followed the first set of does path off in the direct the ATVers pushed them.
I relocated my stand in the the next morning about a half mile away and sure enough different ATVs come through. Im not near any of the many designated ATV trails either time. Two of the guy were actually off any type of trail.

Other than my traditional gun hunt with a couple of buddies up there Im very discouraged about hunting the area. Not because of the deer sign or numbers but because of the idiots that frequent the area.

Go luck on getting your camera back.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:17 AM

Thanks guys. I'll be there today and get to the bottom of the situation.

Logs, I know what you mean, some of the atv'ers up there are a pain in the a$$

I had a run in with a couple of them last year. They were way off any marked trail
and pi$$ing me off with all the noise. There is not a a lot of law enforcement in the area and I think some of these guys think they own the forest. I have noticed hunters with atv's being more respectful.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

A "stray" bullet in the tire(s) tends to discourage ATVs from leaving the designated trails , once you've pushed 400 lbs. of deadweight through the woods you lose your taste for it .

Of course , I'm not advocating that ...
Old 11-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Spike

keep us poseted tho
Old 11-09-2004, 09:26 PM

I don't understand thievery at all, let alone between "hunters". You would think that a fellow hunter would be the last person who would steal anything from you, or wrong you in any way. Where I come from, people aren't like that at all, and it has been a real shock seeing how some people can be. I had a "Treelounge" treestand stolen right out of a tree ON Fort Sill a few years ago! I hunted it on Wednsday, and came back Saturday to hunt again, and it was gone! I could not believe it! I went to the Wildlife Center, thinking that someone just saw it and turned it in to keep it safe---no dice. I am still in shock over it!
Good luck getting your cam back, and I really hope that it is not your neighbor. What a horrible way to begin a relationship with someone that you would like to trust with your property.
God Bless and Happy Hunting,
SL
Old 11-10-2004, 04:25 PM

Unfortunately its not like the old days, there are so many thieves amoung us hunters and they just dont care. Before I get jumped on I am not talking about all hunters but there is a bad one everywhere. I had stands that were lock on with chain and padlock and they just shoot the lock and take the stand. I no longer leave any equipment out in the woods.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:02 AM

put a trail cam on your trailcam....taht way you can get a picture of the thief
Old 11-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wally83

put a trail cam on your trailcam....taht way you can get a picture of the thief
Yeah, or get them both stolen.

I caught 2 guys trespassing on part of my hunting land last night and I about choked them to death. Normally I'm don't get so worked up over things like this, but they've been trespassing for YEARS where they don't belong and last night I was finally able to catch them in the act. At this point they were both lucky that I didn't bury them in a swamp somewhere. [:@]

However in your case, it sounds like the best course of action is to talk with the neighbors first and try to solve things through diplomacy. If that doesn't work, then do what G W Bush would do.