Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 New IL trespassing law. >

New IL trespassing law.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

New IL trespassing law.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New IL trespassing law.

Anyone heard about the new IL trespassing law? I have a copy of
it at work. Trespassers will be fined a minimum of $50.00 per offense paid to the land owner.
This could help with peskey poachers. I post the statue in the next couple of days.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:29 PM

Default RE: New IL trespassing law.

I hope it has escalating clauses in it. 50 bucks min. the first offense, 100 the next, 500 the third and so on. I know is says 50 minimum which allows the judge or whomever to go higher but for some of the habitual tresspassers I would like to see it mandated at a higher fee. Help pay for all the no tresspassing signs we put up every year that magically disappear.. Amazing...

Old 02-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally i think the fine should be alot higher then $50 even if that is the minimum. Is it true now that if a farmer lets one person hunt for free on his land that by law, whoever asks from there on he has to say yes because its considered public?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:51 PM

$50 is all? seems pretty cheap for a day of hunting on private land. Needs to be much higher than that.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:59 PM

Well that is what the Farm insurance reps were telling us last year or the year before and we were never told different. It really closed up a LOT of hunting for people around here.. Folks were even scared to let cousins and such hunt.. I believe that the law was being rewrote to give some more protection again but who knows...

50 bucks as a min. doesn't bother me so much because I don't want to bust a kid who makes a mistake or whatever with a 500 dollar fine for a first time offense. Well, maybe the dirt bikers who told me that I gave them permission to dirt bike in one of my fields (They didn't recognize me perhaps) but I suppose you could always decline to press charges if that was the case... I have a feeling it would be harder to pass the higher fines but maybe not.. Maybe a fine and anything the owner of the land wants that you used during your tresspassing, lol.. I would have gotten a brand new f-250 last year with leather and everything.. Dang.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally don't believe it. Nor will I until I see it written in statute.

Just sems like more than to hope would come true.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

The deal about allowing someone to hunt on your property was in refrence to a lawsuit a couple years back. This has since ben fixed so if you allow someone to do recreation on your property (free) then you are not liable for what happens. (had something to do with a sledding accident, and affected hunters too).

Tresspass and Hunting without permisson are 2 different things. If you hunt on private property, or access private property with your hunting weapon you will get charged alot more than 50 bucks............

Don
Old 02-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the statute. It does stairstep on the fine. First offense minimum $50 and second offense minimum $250. Also holds parents liable for their childrens actions. 16 year old kids driving threw corn fields etc.This info came from a law update class I had last week and was presented by the IL Att. Gen. office.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would hope that folksinterpret this law rationally and fairly. I'd hate to get popped for 50 bucks just because Icrossed the wrong property line to chase down a hardheaded beagle or coonhound. I'm sure not going to expect $50 for every elderly mushroom hunter who wanders on to my property come April. On the other hand, some drunk teenager who drives his 4-wheel drive thru a winter wheat field should shell out much more than 50 bucks even if its a first offense.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

Ray,

does all the money go to the landowner?

Don

Quick Reply: New IL trespassing law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.