Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Any Early Season Luck in WI??? >

Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Old 09-30-2004, 07:14 PM

Default RE: Any Early Season Luck in WI???

I'm in college and I wasn't able to hunt until the second weekend of this years bow season. The first night out I saw 12 deer, 2 very small bucks, every deer was within bow range. I ended up shooting a decent doe since I'm in the earn a buck area, I made a good shot on her, I left her lay for a hour and went to find her. I couldn't find a drop of blood so left her lay the night. I got her through the lungs and she ran 40 yards, never bleed a drop. The rest of the weekend I saw around 15 deer, all does, most close enough to shot. I'm probably one of the few hunters that's happy Wisconsin has gone to earn a buck, the buck doe ratio is so incredibly off in my area something had to be done. As for bucks, I saw a very nice 8 pointer before season, at least a 18 inch spread with long tines, have picture and video of him. Some very nice bucks around, just a matter of time. Enjoy your hunting, the best of luck to everyone.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

I have got one doe so far. Last week Thursday.
I have been too busy to get out. Sat one time since then and seen 2 does but they were too far.
Seen 3 bucks opening day but they also were too far. 2 of these were shooters.
Maybe I will get out this weekend if everything goes good.
Good luck everyone!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:08 PM

No luck here in Dodge county. I have been out morning and night with only 1 little deer in sight. It seems the deer are staying in the marsh and in the corn. hopefully the farmers will start cutting soon!! I have seen many huge bucks at night with the old spotlight.[:@]
Old 10-08-2004, 08:17 PM

Went out on Sat. the 2nd on my folks land in northern Adams county. I was looking to shoot a doe, as temperatures we ideal for curing and butchering. Had a medium sized doe and her fawn coming in to feed on acorns. Fawn was about 10 feet from the stand while the doe was around forty yards when my dad and bro came through the woods on the ol 9n from duck hunting!!! Needless to say the deer split. Oh well!
I'm glad we're in the T-Zone this year. I always liked the idea of being able to harvest a doe early in the season, as it provides some reassurance to my skills as an archer, as well as providing some much needed meat for the freezer!! It seems that the years when I've been able to shoot a doe(wheter T-Zone hunting or by use of a bonus tag) I feel a lot calmer during the rest of the season, which makes it a little easier when passing up on the smaller bucks.

Anyway, good luck to all going out this weekend!! I'm glad I've found this forum, as I sure like to talk hunting!!
Old 10-12-2004, 03:14 PM

I got my second doe of the archery season to fill my gun EAB tag Friday evening. Shot her at around 18 yards Friday evening and seconds after the arrow went through her a young 3 point walked in. It was pretty entertaining, he sniffed the arrow which was full of blood and slowly backed off, then went to it again to smell of it one last time before backing up and deciding to get the heck out of there. Now it's time to wait for a decent buck to present an opportunity. Have yet to see much for size in the area while hunting, just a this three and a five point. Good luck to everyone, rut is just around the corner!
Old 10-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I arrowed a doe last friday (10/9) to get my EAB tag. So far this year we have seen a ton of young bucks, especially alot of spikes. Also some nice older bucks. Passed on a nice eight with a sixteen or so inch spread. We hunt in Shawno county. The deer a really hitting the acorns hard and there is a bumper crop of acorns. They are browsing the oak ridges early and staying till dark before entering the fields..........dabow