HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Any Early Season Luck in WI??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/73306-any-early-season-luck-wi.html)

TJD 09-20-2004 10:21 PM

Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Anyone get anything??

I hunt in an Earn a Buck zone and managed to hit a doe on Sunday of opening weekend. Moved just as I released. Hit it, saw it run 60 yards and go down in some tall CRP. Waited 15 minutes, saw no movement, and went to get it. Walked up with bow at the ready and looked to find it. She was there...jumped up and ran!!! Arrow was there, covered with dark red blood. Heard a sort of sucking or slurping sound coming from deer as it ran.

Waited until morning to look for it. Found blood...but no deer!!! Of course, with all of the foliage and CRP grass, I might have walked five feet from it and not seen it.

So a doe is dead, but I have to get another one to be "legal" for a bow buck.

BowHuntingFool 09-20-2004 11:06 PM

RE: Any Early Season Luck in WI???

Thats it? Found blood but no deer? I hoped you looked for the deer herder than that!!...:eek: Good luck finding it!

TJD 09-21-2004 06:55 AM

Looked for about half a day. The blood trail wasn't real clear...small drop here and there...then it couldn't be found after trail led into woods.

James Vee 09-21-2004 07:56 AM

Should have left her a little longer than 15 minutes.

gjpwisconsin 09-21-2004 08:45 AM

She's got to be there somewhere. Too bad you couldn't seal the deal. Hope you have better luck next time..

Justin 09-21-2004 09:08 AM

No luck this weekend for me. Saw a couple does on Sat morning about 80 yards behind my stand, and that was it for the weekend. My partner saw a total of 7 does and 6 bucks this weekend, none of the bucks big enough to shoot, and none of the does close enough to shoot. We're huting a new piece of land for the first time though, so we're still trying to get a feel for what the deer movement is going to be like.

Set up my CamTrakker this weekend so hopefully I get some photos to help do a little scouting for me.

gjpwisconsin 09-21-2004 02:18 PM

I did see a deer on Sunday AM. It was dark and very windy. Walking in CRP to my stand. All of a sudden a deer jumped, snorted and ran away. All I saw and heard was a big deer. Not sure if it was a buck or doe. Didn't see anything else that day, but it was extremely windy.. Hoping for more this weekend..

Beagle001 09-21-2004 05:24 PM

opening day i missed a doe since i too am in an earn a buck unit (62b). then last night i redeemed myself and zipped a healty yearling. 125 yds and she was done. i double lunged her. i was surprised she even went that far. o well now i can get my buck;)

BowHuntingFool 09-21-2004 11:38 PM

Well done Beagle!!!!!!!!

Ansel 09-22-2004 06:54 AM

South West WI, Very warm and winds out of the S, S.E. - Hunted Sat. Sun and Mon. - Saw deer every sit on Sat and Sunday. Numerous does and three different bucks around 8 pointers. No shots taken, would have had to been a pretty decent buck to shoot - way to wam. Saw a couple of dozen rubbs and a few scrapes being scratched.

Would have to agree, 15 minutes is way quick unless you actually see the deer drop.