Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois firearms season thread... >

Illinois firearms season thread...

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois firearms season thread...

Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Two IL Public Land Bucks

ORIGINAL: lifesadrag

ORIGINAL: Zim

Unfortunately I didn't see anything I wanted to shoot. Seen a few small bucks with does. I was holding out for a good one. Zim...was that you I met in the lot of the R.B. Lodge?
Well I stayed at the RB Lodge so I guess it must have been me? Recognize my muzzleloader buck from when he was on my cargo rack? Kinda unique rack. Blue jeep. Sorry you couldn't score. I'd continue during the archery if you can. Seen plenty there in the past, and no hunters.
Yeah, I remember the rack and the story... I pulled up with the 4 runner with 3 buddys, we also stayed at the R.B. Lodge. I'll be back out for bow season, but up at MNTP.
lifesadrag, Well cool then. Small world. I only talked to a few people out there in the lot. I hunt MNTP a lot and I'd take JEPC in a heartbeat during the later period, in fact any period. There is just a lot more thick cover to hold bucks. The vast open fields at MNTP just result in the bucks moving to the closed side. JTA is also a better bet if you hold a permit there. Regardless, best of luck to you. I've seen some great late season action with no hunters around to deal with.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately I didn't see anything I wanted to shoot. Seen a few small bucks with does. I was holding out for a good one. Zim...was that you I met in the lot of the R.B. Lodge?
Well I stayed at the RB Lodge so I guess it must have been me? Recognize my muzzleloader buck from when he was on my cargo rack? Kinda unique rack. Blue jeep. Sorry you couldn't score. I'd continue during the archery if you can. Seen plenty there in the past, and no hunters.
Yeah, I remember the rack and the story... I pulled up with the 4 runner with 3 buddys, we also stayed at the R.B. Lodge. I'll be back out for bow season, but up at MNTP.
lifesadrag, Well cool then. Small world. I only talked to a few people out there in the lot. I hunt MNTP a lot and I'd take JEPC in a heartbeat during the later period, in fact any period. There is just a lot more thick cover to hold bucks. The vast open fields at MNTP just result in the bucks moving to the closed side. JTA is also a better bet if you hold a permit there. Regardless, best of luck to you. I've seen some great late season action with no hunters around to deal with.
I do hold a JTA permit as well....will be hitting them both. Have some friends that bowhunt JEPC regularly. Once again congrats on 2 great bucks and maybe I'll run into you again sometime & introduce myself now that I know who you are.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

lifesadrag,
Have you heard the military is pulling out of JTA and this is likely the last season there? A crying shame for the best managed property I've ever hunted. Will be cheap, crappy housing there replacing the slammer habitat. Have one more season to enjoy then it will be time to scout new areas. May be seeking a lease to avoid long drive to other decent public land. Everything else is overcrowded near Chicago.

I do hold a JTA permit as well....will be hitting them both. Have some friends that bowhunt JEPC regularly. Once again congrats on 2 great bucks and maybe I'll run into you again sometime & introduce myself now that I know who you are.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

lifesadrag,
Have you heard the military is pulling out of JTA and this is likely the last season there? A crying shame for the best managed property I've ever hunted. Will be cheap, crappy housing there replacing the slammer habitat. Have one more season to enjoy then it will be time to scout new areas. May be seeking a lease to avoid long drive to other decent public land. Everything else is overcrowded near Chicago.

I didn't know that, Very bad news indeed......Randy did a fantastic job managing that land, I've been hunting there for 15 years. Where did you get this information Zim?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I heard it from a friend a few weeks ago. You can sign a petition to keep it open but development dollars rule everything in the end. Sad waste of our public lands, especially with so little left in the Chicago area. Goo to Bowsite.com Illinois page. Look for JTA threads. Petition is on there.

Randy did an incredible job. Wish all public lands were managed like that.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard it from a friend a few weeks ago. You can sign a petition to keep it open but development dollars rule everything in the end. Sad waste of our public lands, especially with so little left in the Chicago area. Goo to Bowsite.com Illinois page. Look for JTA threads. Petition is on there.

Randy did an incredible job. Wish all public lands were managed like that.
Just went on and signed.....for whatever it's worth!