Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois firearms season thread... >

Illinois firearms season thread...

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois firearms season thread...

Old 11-16-2007, 05:32 AM

Default Illinois firearms season thread...

Well its that day of the year AGAIN, WOOT. But, I cant go beacuse family matters. I would love to hear your stories from the whole season, thanks.
And btw, Im new here i hunt in knox county Illinois, galesburg.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois firearms season thread...

How did your opening morning go in Knox? I bowhunted Knox last week but spent this morning on our own property here in Fulton.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Haha my opening morning didnt go.
Cant go this year. Really sucks because my best buddy got a 7 point at 6:45 this morning.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:29 PM

I'm out this year too. My a****** father in law wouldn't let me hunt this year. I wish I'd have known in April, I could use the $30 now.[:@]Oh well, I was going to quit after this year because I'm tired of putting up with all the crap just to be able to hunt.

Illhunter930,
I used to live in your neck of the woods. I grew up in Abingdon.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:25 PM

Oh yeah?..Kinda cool to see someone from around my area..
Old 11-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saw a nice ten pointer around 8 and he just wouldn't give me a clear shot. he wa sabout 60 yards out and if I would have known that he would be the only buck I would see I probably would have taken the so so shot that I had.Hopefully he will be back tomorrow, because I know I will....
Old 11-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Shot a respectable 15 pt. about 10:15 on Friday morning after watching him chase does and other bucks for close to 2 hours. He's not the biggest buck I saw but I had already decided to nail him if given the chance. He swam the river and ended up on my side chasing a doe. While looking at him at over 400 yards away, I see another "huge" 12 pt. in the background at about 600 yds. with a doe. Figured I would go after him on Sat. morning if I didn't get a crack at the 15 pt. The doe that the 15 pt. was pursuing ended up running in my direction and walked into a 10' clearing at 85 yards before disappearing into thick willows. I decided if the buck followed this doe, that would be the only shotopportunity.Twentyminutes later, he starts my way, I get down on 1 knee on the stand, turn the scoped Mossberg up to 5 power,and sit and wait. When I see him on the other side of the willows, Irelease the safety and track him through the scope. As he comes into the clearing at 85 yards, he stops head on. I wait until he turns tohis right to follow the same trail the doetook. As he is walkingbroadside, I gently squeeze the trigger and "boom". I look up to see him on the ground kicking but not able to get up. I wait about 2 minutes to make sure then climb down. The Hornady SST hit him square in the front shoulder and passed straight through the other shoulder. Good thing, because another hunter was in a stand about 200 yds. over. I'm trying to figure out how to make the pictures smaller so I can post them.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a picture. Can you believe he only weighed 142 lbs! I'm wondering if he was just a 1 1/2 year old buck. That's alot of antler for just a year and half though. There is alot of good genetics in the area I hunt so it would be possible.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:30 AM

Great deer man, I use a mossberg also.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Nice buck Hunter 59! There's no way that's a 1.5 year old. Maybe he's just light from chasing does.

Congrats!

Quick Reply: Illinois firearms season thread...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.