Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois firearms season thread... >

Illinois firearms season thread...

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois firearms season thread...

Old 11-19-2007, 06:23 PM

Default RE: Two IL Public Land Bucks

here's one my buddy took that the 3 of have been seeing on cam, but never during an archery hunt, got him yesterday morning just before 7am

Old 11-19-2007, 06:25 PM

another..

Old 11-19-2007, 06:26 PM

last one...

Old 11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your friend MUST be spoiled. I would have a smile from ear to ear. Awesome deer.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Spike

Hunted Illinois for the first time last weekend (Crawford County Conservation Area). No shooting for me. Seen 7 bucks but nothing I wanted to take. My friend shot a heavy rack 18" wide 12 pointer on Saturday. I was suprised talking with all the IL locals and their approach to deer hunting. They could care less about shooting a nice buck, they just wanted to shoot the first deer or two they see and tag out. They were giving me hell for not shooting any of the 30+ deer I saw. In addition, I was suprised that the larger issue for the resident hunters was not how big the horns were, but how much the deer weighed. Very different mindset....
Old 11-19-2007, 10:46 PM

I never thought about it...but you're right. We don't make a fuss about the deer's weight and I don't know that I've ever heard that discussed much on the forums.

And....of all my hunting buddies back home I only know one that I would classify as a trophy hunter. Back home we have three kinds of hunters I guess. Trophy, meat, and population control. Some guys don't care about antlers and some could even care less about the meat, they'll give it away like its got AIDS written all over it. I'm call myself a meat hunter, and you can say what you want about the population control hunters...that's just the way it is. I actually got really ticked this last weekend because I was informed that I was "giving" my two deer worth of meat as a "peace offering" by my dad. "THEY" were our guests on our land, and between the whole group there were nearly a dozen deer on the ground. But you just don't argue with dad[&:]
Old 11-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really can't blame any of the population control hunters because most of them are farmers and they do get into their crops.

I don't know what to call me. I try to pass smaller bucks, and would rather shoot a doe than a small buck.

My season was pretty terrible.

Friday Morning- Saw a really WIIIIDDDEEE 10 pointer and just couldn't get a shot at him. Got ready to climb down at 10 and another bigger10 pointer came walking along a hillside. I took one shot at him and he just looked around and walked away. While walking to the 4 wheeler an 8 pointer came busting across a field and I took some shots at him. NOTHIN AGAIN!!!!

Friday Afternoon-Same big 10 pointer chasing a doe along the same hillside but no shot available.

Saturday Morning-Missed a doe at 30 yards and realized something wasn't right with me missing all these deer. Went back and shot the gun and it was shooting a foot off to the right and 6 inches high[:@][:@][:@]

Saturday Afternoon-Same big 10 pointer on the same hill bedded just to where I could see his rack and then got up and chased a doe for about 20 minutes

No deer Sunday morning

Sunday Afternoon-Passed on a little fork right at the end of shooting hours

The WORSE year EVER at our farm for shotgun seasons. Only 5 deer were taken off of it. We usually have 10-15 hanging after the first season.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:41 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lifesadrag

Unfortunately I didn't see anything I wanted to shoot. Seen a few small bucks with does. I was holding out for a good one. Zim...was that you I met in the lot of the R.B. Lodge?
Well I stayed at the RB Lodge so I guess it must have been me? Recognize my muzzleloader buck from when he was on my cargo rack? Kinda unique rack. Blue jeep. Sorry you couldn't score. I'd continue during the archery if you can. Seen plenty there in the past, and no hunters.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

This man looks like he's angry at he buck. Haha. Maybe he had a grudge or something.

ORIGINAL: il_outdoors4life

another..

Old 11-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois firearms season thread...

I just got home, was hunting a friends 1800 acre farm in Brown County, I took a 9 pointer 135", this is my biggest buck, 2 weeks before that I took another 9 pointer 130" with the bow on that farm. Next year 140" or better with the bow, 145" or better with the shotgun

Quick Reply: Illinois firearms season thread...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.