Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 09-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

I hunt in Vanderburgh County so I have been at it since September 15. I haven’t seen very many deer while hunting but I always seen them when I am not. I have been after a particular buck that has been running around with a smaller buck on the farm I hunt. I saw him yesterday but I couldn’t get off a shot. But I’ll be on him again come Thursday.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, all of our great Colts/marriage/baby info got the axe...lol..

Got out of work VERY early today, so I went out around 2pm. Kicked up a small buck walking in, about tripped over him..they sure do blend in well when they're bedded down. Only saw 1 deer while in my stand..roughly 200 yards away.

When I was leaving, a big doe and 2 fawns were feeding on some beans that the farmer left up for us. A fawn busted me, but I got down really fast..and they didn't notice me after that. Just for fun, I tried my snort/wheeze on my Buck Growl call...was freaking them out! They bolted 50 yards full out..then stopped..looked around..the fawns beat up on each other..then they all started eating beans again. Cool time. I decided to back out and not spook them..and another deer was behind me just 50 yards! lol..ended up spooking them all away..but it was getting dark and I was starved...needed to get to my truck.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:35 PM

Yup, we lost all the gooshy stuff. LOL

Oh well.

I didn't go out at all today. I figured maybe hubby would go tonight, but he stayed home and I made mashed taters, chicken n noodles, bread, and homemade apple dumplin's for dinner. Beats the McD's he woulda grabbed on the way to work after gettin' outta the stand.

Probably won't hunt at all tomorrow, I'm sure I'll get out sometime this weekend, or hubby will. Either or, as long as we get a deer, and he has a better chance than I do this year because of location and circumstance, so it's better to have your best man on the front lines I guess.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I seen an absolute hawg of a Buck tonight standing in a bean field just off the edge of a thicket while i was on my way to a cousins volleyball game. I also had a doe run right out in front of me, this was at around 6PM, so there was plenty of light left in the day. Me and the wife are going to look at 30 acres of woods on saturday afternoon, the owners of the property are getting divorced and they are selling the 30 acres plus the trailer home on the property. He is friends with my aunt and uncle and he said he hasnt had it appraised yet but he figures 60 grand for it all, he paid 45,500 for it 10 years ago. Mobile homes dont appreciate though so im not sure his figure will be accurate. I dont need the house so i figured i could rent that out to help with payments every month. The wife is excited becuase we both want to eventually build a new home on some land, i get nervous when it comes to spending money like that though. Supposedly he already has 15 offers and he just put the sign out on Saturday. My uncle killed a brute of a 10 pointer there a few years ago, the 30 acres connects into a much bigger section of woods on both sides. The only downfall to it is that it is a very step climb.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 AM

I hear ya, I get nervous spending large sums of money too! But, if you can get 30 acres for 60k?!!! You better hop on that train, bro, because that's 2k an acre which is UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Barely buy farm land for that.

An uncle of mine bought 400 acres on the Adams/Allen Co. line (just east of HW 27) for less than 1.5k/acre..do to the fact the owner had a HUGE debt from betting. The first time we walked thru the land we found old farm equipment...some my Uncle sold as collector items.

I'm not going out today...the wife got really upset once she learned I was hunting yesterday afternoon instead of getting ready to move. Tomorrow/Sunday will be 100% dedicated to killing.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I paid 100K for 10 acres of woods with an 1,800 sf berm house 2 years ago , if you can get 30 acres with a rental home on it for 30K then snatch that up before the owner sobers up !
Old 10-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with everybody else that land is a deal Been out 2 times this year had a couple of nice does at 20yd but it was to dark last night i hunt roush lake in huntington and saw a great buck and a couple ofdoes but being public ground they had a lot to roam and they roamed on another trail oh well i was in a nice hiddy hole so ill be back there next week ill just hunt some private ground tonight and this weekend
Old 10-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Wow what a night. I hunted a small woods off a state road. I was setting off a corn field. The woods is really overgrown but has some big trees. i climbed the tree with my viper and sat in the wind for a couple of hours all the sudden i spotted a skunk 15 yards away then a racoon I looked behind the tree and here comes a doe down the path I had walked in through brush to cut it short I missed a 17 yardshot oh well its early
Old 10-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of time to make up for mistakes. What times approx have you seen deer moving? For me it's beenreally early orreally late.

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.