Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 10-06-2006, 08:04 PM

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

I've only been out 3 times, saw two deer opening morning, one buck and one undetermined... both headed away from me though, buck busted me as I got in my stand and the other took off about a minute after that. I hate it when that happens too!

Tomorrow morning should be great! Full moon, temps in the 30's... I don't get to go, not sure if I'll hunt at all this weekend, but hubby will be out, wishing him luck, our freezer sure is getting empty.[&o]

Old 10-07-2006, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gone huntin'! [8D]
Old 10-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

most of the one i saw have moved late2 times then last night she came by at around 7 she was more interested on eating the green leaves then anything
Old 10-07-2006, 02:02 PM

Hubby got a nice 5pt today, had only been in his stand 12 minutes or so when he came crunching through. Never stopped, made a moving, double lung shot.

Anyway, I have posted in the bowhunting forum under "Buck Down" and will post pics tonight.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Job to your hubby!

I had does with fawns running around me all day..had plenty of opportunities to shoot..held off.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:38 AM

I plan on going out here in a few hours, hopefully I'll see something... I probably shouldn't but I think I'm going to climb my buddy stand. I just can't handle not having a bird's eye view, plus it'sFAR more comfortable than my other set up.Maybe I'll shoot one tonight and I won't have to worry about climbing it anymore. That would be nice, although with temps at 74 today, I'm guessing they won't be moving much. Yesterday was the day, cold temps, crisp, cool morning... Thursday is looking good so far, low of 28??? Could be interesting.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saw aton of does/fawns this morning right behind me...and a spike that was going insane when I grunted at him. He was running in circles and stomping his feet. Little runt...lol

This afternoon was a waste. I had sweat rolling off me..and bugs were swarming everywhere. I said the heck with it, came home and watched the Colts pull one out.

I did however, see a ½ dozen small scrapes, and countless rubs...and a small buck with a big doe. Hmmm..someone's ahead of the game...lol
Old 10-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Shot a nice 6 pt last night and it ran to the neighbor's property he said he wanted it so i said ok
Old 10-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you put up a fight...lol
Old 10-08-2006, 06:54 PM

went out tonight, sweat my you know what off... sat for 3+ hours, I'm sure my back will remind me of that later...

was getting ready to get out of my stand, I usually get out about 15 minutes early so I can see where I'm going, I don't need to trip and fall right now, but just as I was getting ready to pack up, I thought I heard a small crunch. I didn't think much of it because I'd had squirrels, chipmunks, and birds rustling leaves all night. I thought, well for ****s and giggles, I'll just check things out. Of COURSE, there was a young buck standing about 10 yards behind my stand. Don't ask me how I didn't hear him coming through the woods, but I didn't. Well, to make a long story short, I really only have one small shooting lane behind me into the woods, he was standing in it. Unfortunately for me, I hadn't looked quick enough because he was one step too far and I had a big leafy branch right in my way.

I figured I would wait, because he was headed straight for the apple tree that is beside my tree. It then opens up into about a 15 ft. wide grass strip on my side of the creek.... I thought, perfect, he's gonna step into that opening.... no, he turned and walked down the treeline. He was only about 5 yards from my stand though... but he was headed away and I had a big apple tree right in the way of the shot. I waited some more, and he just headed down the creek line and was about 25 yards away at that point. I lowered my bow and thought well... maybe just *maybe* I can get down and get a shot. I got down fine, he didn't hear or see me, but his tooshie was facing me... no shot. Got about 3 yards closer, he turned broadside, but at that point he was too far for me to be comfortable. I haven't made a 30 yard shot on a deer, only on target, and not as tight of groups as I would like... so I opted not to take the shot. He ended up seeing me, and walked into the woods. He wasn't really spooked, but he knew something wasn't right.

He was interesting though, kinda a spike, only with one side! LOL He was missing an entire side, and his spike was about 8-9" tall and about 2" wide, all palmated. I've never seen anything like it before...

Well, maybe next time.

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.