Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 are we having a meeting saturday night of the deer classic? >

are we having a meeting saturday night of the deer classic?

Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

are we having a meeting saturday night of the deer classic?

Old 02-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default are we having a meeting saturday night of the deer classic?

are we going to have a meeting saturday night after the deer classic again this year?
I would like to talk about the prizes/items the club has bought and what to do with them-i.e. raffle, drawing at shoots, sell them...
I would also like to see a treasurers report on our current financial position and what our expenses are and what all we have coming in.
Also we talked last year about a points system and i am working up 2 possible options for review for team or person of the year.
Also a format needs to be set for the carlyle shoot. i would like to take over this shoot but am planning on going to the cajun if the boat holds out...
Also this isnt a slam at christine, i know you are busy, but are we still having a newsletter quarterly?
I think some of this stuff needs to be divided up among more club memebers.
What about the re-election of officers? the presidents and secretary? job is up this year? I know luke has said he would be willing to take on partial responsibility but it was never voted on by the club members?
Maybee this stuff could all be solved right here if nobody will be able to meet?
what are your ideas?
not trying to stir the pot but think it all needs addressed before season starts
Old 02-18-2009, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: are we having a meeting saturday night of the deer classic?

No problem Slim. I appreciate you stepping upto work on these things.

I do know that we still don't havepermission for a tourneyon Carlyle.Dave is working on that.The proposed format was a big 10 or 15,held in the daytime.We also need our BAA insurance certificates, hopefully Dave can get those down at the BAA meeting.

Fish disposal will be provided by the USACE and IL DNR at Rend again this year.

My position and Rob's were up this year. Nobody has stepped forward for the President, even despite some arm twisting from me. I did nominateLuke but hedeclined. Mike Steffa and Joanne were nominated for Secretary. Mike then withdrew his nomination (and he didn't even forget to pay his taxes!). So... there was no point in mailing out ballots for a one person election.

The newsletter is done. However, I cannot get the software to print two sided. I'll screw with that today.I also need to get my printerfully functioningagain. I think it's just out of magenta toner (which has been ordered). Otherwise the drums are messed up.... which would be bad.(Ifit's not one thing, it's three others)
You might be interested to know that the club has printed out 12,659 color pages on just that printer. Several thousand more in mono tone. (well, I thought that was kind of interesting.) If I could get anybody to do anything, it would be the newsletter. Mike S., volunteered at one point and then started working a second job so he couldn't help out.
To say I hate doing the newsletter is a monumentual understatement. [:'(] I only have working emails for about half our members so just sending out one of thoselittle email newsletters isn't a real option yet.

We're going to be raffling offthe AMS starter kit at the Deer Classic. The Innerloc bow at the Billy Davis, the barracuda at the State shoot. Unless, somebody has a better idea. Anybody? [:-] There are some smaller items we can sell or raffle too. Steve donated some bow racks but they were too big to mail so we ended up selling them on consignment at the archery shop.

Luke volunteered to run an additional fund-raiser also. We just need to get him some working capital to work with. He's also working on the door prizes.

Steve said he'd be making the majority of the plaques again. I'll check w/him to be sure.

JohnnyB is keeping good track of the funds in our checking acct.. He can provide that at the meeting.

I'd like to start rounding up volunteers for our Two Rivers Fishing Fair in Grafton, ILon June 6th. This is a Saturday from 8am to 3pm. This is the event where we have kids shoot at the swimming fish. (about 1500 kids)
If anybody can help with it, please let me know.

BillyK will be keeping track of our fish count. JohnnyB will be handling the IB9C.

Thanks.
C

Old 02-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

The door prizes are going well Alex and I are working on those. I need a 1000 dollars I will be able to get a good fundraiser together. I also have another fundraiser for next year if you are interested it could be done at the Deer and Turkey classic
Old 02-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Also I am done with coaching softball after this year and would be happy to take the president spot in 2010 as long as christine would show me the ropes and get me going.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Fork Horn

thanks christine!
As far as the newsletter why about going to twice a year or even once a year?
As for the election i thought that was how things went but i just wanted to make sure and get them out into public so nobody thought any nominations were being done because of political contributions
As for the bows and stuff that sounds ok or would we be better off holding 1 big raffle??? what about selling some of the items that the club has bought I.E. the slotted retreiver /odd items that nobody sees to want at cost on bowfishing country or here? that would free up some more club money.
I will volunteer to keep track of the points for team/shooter year after a format is official. i hope to have a couple of drafts on here in a day or two.
I plan on being at the grafton event.
The reason i am courious about the treasures report is after taking with the DRBA they are able to stay with 90% payback with just dues and a sponsors paying $75 for a shoot, with a diffrent sponsor at each shoot. I dont see why we cant get to that point. I have heard that that is why we havent had more participation in some of our shoots....
come on guys post up lets hear what the club members want to do and see done. this is all of our club.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 AM
Fork Horn

Slim for President.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

I said I would do a fundraiser that would make up the cost for the tournaments and allow for 100% payback I just need some money to work with first. I think we should take the bows and sell them on bowfish to make it easy on everyine and generate some money for the fundraiser.
I missed grafton last year but I plan on being there this year with slim I think alex is going also
Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: buffhntr

I said I would do a fundraiser that would make up the cost for the tournaments and allow for 100% payback I just need some money to work with first. I think we should take the bows and sell them on bowfish to make it easy on everyine and generate some money for the fundraiser.
I am against selling the bows on Ebay. Yeah we need the $$$ but those bows..... one was a gift and one was obtained from the manufacture to be raffled as a fund raiser for the club. It wouldn't be right to sell them on line. THe small stuff maybe. We need a treasures report to see where we are. We have some toner expense and some insurance fees and corp of engineer fees due real soon. What other goodies do we have on hand besides the bows? Could we sell these items at the deer classic?

Dave R
Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

how long havewe had the bows? I say it is time to raffle them or sell them they are not doing us much good right now.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

We've only ever taken the actual expenses for each shoot out of the entry fees.(actually, we tend to lose a bit of money on each shoot) We caught the mostflak for the Carpbusters tourney and yetwe paid out more than 100% of entry fees. [:@] I think the State shoot last year cost us close to $250.00 for food, ramp fee, insurance, sanctioning and trophies. Witha $20 entry fee per person and lots of two people teams, the payout isn't going to be huge. At the Billy Davis we paid out over 80% of the entry fees. This year it should be easily 90% because we had a donation from the Trotters towards this year's trophies. Big fish pots have always been 100% payout.

The club has does have enough money to eat all of the tourney expenses but most officers have not supported doing that or raising entry fees.That was the reason a survey was sent out. The majority of the respondents wanted more door prizes but didn't care about payout. (most folks who come to the tourneys won't place in the money so it's not a surprise)I also heard from our top shooters that they cared more about the trophies and bragging rights than payout. So that's that's why we had 3 fulldoor prize tables at our tourneys and made up over 20 trophy plaques.

Balancing the wants of the small, just-getting-started guys and those of the hardcore tournament chasers is a challenge. The small guys get discouraged easily if they think they're not getting anything out of a tournament other than donating money to some other shooters. Having food, door prizes and theyouth trophies helps keep it a bit interesting for the small guys.We're constantly working on ideas on how to keep it a good experience for everyone. Ideas are always welcome.

Last year the deer classic cost us 500.00 between booth fees and electricity. Not having that expense this year really puts us ahead already.

I'm not sure there's an advantage of one big raffle or having a couple different ones. Having the raffles broken upat the shoots means we can sell tickets before the tournaments and also sell tickets right at the tourneys. I've noticed we sell more tickets if we can get right in people's faces.
Some of the items that we've gotten for prizes would not have been given to us by the companies for free or cost if they knew we were just turning around and selling them on the market. That's why they need to be raffled.

(That AMS slottedretriever is not one of them tho'. We should sell it for whatever we can get. )

Luke, I'm pretty sure we have the money you need available now. When were you thinking of doing your fundraiser?
..and I'll show you the ropes... duct tape, zip ties, baling twine.... whatever you need, as long as you can take the reins.

Quick Reply: are we having a meeting saturday night of the deer classic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.