Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

New tires for the atv?

Old 05-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New tires for the atv?

In the last four or five years I've had a set of Super Swamper Vampires, Goodyear Mudrunners and now a set of ITP Mudlites. I've seen other tires (Bearclaws, 589's, etc...) in action on some of my friends' scooters. For instance, one friend has Bearclaws and in mud they would tend to get stuck faster than any of the other aftermarket tires mentioned.

For an all around tire I think the Goodyears are about as good as it gets. They're pretty good in the mud and give a good ride on just about everything else. I don't have the Mudrunners on my Honda 450 now because I don't use my ATV much except during hunting season and by then things are really muddy in the Mississippi delta. I tried the Vampires for a couple of years and while they do go very well through the mud, I didn't like the fact that they were so heavy. I thought the Mudlites would be a good compromise, they're not as heavy as the Vampires and are more of a mud tire than the Goodyear Mudrunners. I've been happy with them so far.

For you I think the Goodyears would be your best bet.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:45 AM

I got my Mudlites on ebay and had them mounted at Wally World for 3 bux each
Old 05-20-2005, 06:58 PM

The vampires are a much more offroad tire than yalll have mentioned but the laws are cream of the crop. I also think ssu tris and biclaws would be great. Just depends on how smooth you want them. I have delt with tires for years so give me some info... What size type and any mods to your ride, what terrian you ride, what you want out of the tire. That way I could better suit you. Mudlites are so popular I believe because their itps and they say mud. Lets get this straight so yall that think your gonna go twice as offroad, they dont have alot more treat than a stock tire! Mudrunners are a good comprimise from what I hear, they mud good, self clean, and are smooth!
Old 05-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

for the record mrwake, here's the scoop. 450cc 4X3 as I call it.(no locking front diff) stock machine, no mods. Will be replacing the factory tires with the same size(25in) Usage is mainly for hunting. Condititions can be muddy or dry, depends on the weather at the time. I live in Ky, so there's ALWAYS a hill or two to climb. As I mentioned above, I'm not into mudding, but could encounter a mudhole or two while riding or dragging out deer. I also take a zip up the road from time to time, so I want a tire thats not too soft. OK, there you have it. I'm still leaning toward the bearclaws. Enough traction for what I need and wear good. keep in mind, I do have a winch. once again, I'm still not dead set, so keep 'em coming. hell, I'm kind of enjoying this.lol thanks again for the replies.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would consider increasing the tire size to 26" and adding a little width as well.This will not rob much power but will add floatation and traction and a touch of ground clearance as well.I have 10x26 and 12x26 gators on my 500 rubicon and the difference in traction over stock tires is simply amazing.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:23 AM

Bear claws are great tires, but I would get a set of gators. They may not be quite as smooth but they are alot better tires. You will go places you never dreamed of. I know a guy with a honda 450 stock spinning 26 outlaws. I would recomend those 26 gators highly, or if you dont want something as aggressive then get the dirt devils. The dirt devils are smooth. Oh yeah and do your self a favor and buy a set of good rims. Stock rims bend easily and will have to be replaced, plus they come mounted!
Old 05-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stock rims bend easily and will have to be replaced, plus they come mounted!
If you do a lot of hard riding in rock,rims can be bent.However,I have used the stock rims on my last three quads and have yet to bend a rim.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:59 PM

Riding around trees bends them. Shoot I bent my stock rims with the ramps hitting them while going down the road.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: mrwake

Mudlites are so popular I believe because their itps and they say mud. Lets get this straight so yall that think your gonna go twice as offroad, they dont have alot more treat than a stock tire!
you've obviously never run Mudlites then Numerous guys in our ATV club have them and love them.

There are 2 (well, 3 now) types of Mudlites. Originally, the 25" versions DIDN'T have the larger lugs, but you can get them now. It was 26" and up for the large lugs

here's some pics of mine with mudlites
http://www.krawdaddy.net/atv/images/kimpex_3.jpg
here's my stockers
http://www.krawdaddy.net/atv/images/griz04.jpg
Old 05-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

kraw, how do you like the kodiak? What about the kimpe rear bumper, do you have the T3 front brush bumper on her?? Reason I ask buddy just picked up an 05' and we were playing with it this weekend at our camp. BTW I was impressed with it and the Mud lites he through on it. Any way we were looking at the info the dealer gave him one evening over a few and I said I kind always liked the kimpe stuff vs OEM...cheaper and usually not so gawdy!! Just wondering since you appear to have the same bike your thoughts...Thanks.

Oh yeah 1 more question do you have 26's on? If so, did you notice any loss in low end power/torque? Seeing you've ran stockers as well. He made mention about putting in clutch kit to regain is lower end and throttle response, just curious what you may have found or done?

Sorry to hijack your thread for second T/C !!!!

Lites are getting popular here as well now, the only knock is tread wear as I mentioned. Never heard anybody say they don't chew (I'm talking the 26" or the new 25 XL - 1 1/8" lug). I spoke with the owner of Daveys tree's(just happens to live down the lane from me), he runs a large fleet of quads putting on big miles per year he said the Lites are the guys favorite but a set may last 5000KM. He is trying the Dirt Devils XT's on few just to see if he can manage a year, he said so far feed back is good but still to new to determine longevity. Also uses bearclaws he said they last slightly longer but don't chew as well and they have had puncture issues in few cases. Any way I am not sure it really applies here but thought I'd pass on his comments.

As far as the stock rims, never had a problem personally either.

Quick Reply: New tires for the atv?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.