Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

New tires for the atv?

Old 05-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default New tires for the atv?

I'm on the verge of buying a new set of tires for the atv and was wondering what you guys prefer. So far, the ITP Mudlites are at the top of my list, but am open for suggestions. Another one I'm looking at is the Kenda Bear Claw. Looks pretty good as is a little cheaper than the Mudlites. Also, where is the cheapest place on the web to buy them? Thanks for any replies.

Carter
Old 05-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New tires for the atv?

hey t/c i'd shop around and see who gives you the best "out the door" price, those things are a bear to mount[:@], i bought some mudlights mail order and was going to have someone else mount them, remember the old indian word "bohica", guy charged me almost 70$ to mount 4 tires[:@]......

btw "bohica" = bend over here it comes again

very good tires, stay off hard surfaces, and for sure no asphalt
Old 05-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

T/C I have ran Kenda BC's for a few years, they have performed reasonably well in most situations (mud/snow, etc) and IME are extremely durable the lug seems to hardly wear down. However they do require in tough mud a bit of steering the front to get the side lugs to chew and pull you through...not a big deal but you should consider this. Ok being I am looking at a new quad I have been also asking about tires and had the opportunity to ride the Mudlite's. They do not require this over steering as their lug(XL version was what I tried) chews very well, it also provides a slightly smoother ride on hard pack (less vibration) due to the distance between the centre lugs is much larger on the BC's. From my research guys find Mudlite Xl's to be better in mud/snow/skeg but slightly less durable(slightly more tread wear, not puncture wise durability) than the bearclaw. I really liked the Mud lites and plan to give them run on my next quad (however I plan on running 26" XL's on the stock rims). Not sure what you'll require in tire size for your ATV but if you do need to go with 25's make sure to order or buy the new 25 XL version in the mudlites with 1 1/8" lug.

These guys offer free shipping in the US for Mudlites and appears to be a good price from what I have seen doing research:

Mudlites

If your looking for pure mud tires than the GBC Gators, Mud bugs, etc seem to get the nod. So if your looking for serious mudders you may find these better suited and the reviews I have seen/heard are most find them pretty good for all around use as well but their main premise is usually tough mud/bog/skeg situations.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I hate those mud type tires. All they succeed in is flinging mud the 90% you don't spend in mud. And to ride

The Carlisle tires are the best I've found. Not cheap...but the best.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:09 PM
PLB

Try tiresunlimited.com. They were the best price I could find for ATV tires. I also went with the Carlisle tires.

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/default.htm
Old 05-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best tire for you depends a great deal on the terrain that you ride.I ride swamp,mud,snow and rock and have found the goodyear mudrunner to be the best overal tire with the gator a very close second but at a lower price.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for info guys. mthands, I used to race atvs and know how much of a pain it can be to mount them, but I have a good buddy that owns a tire store and all I've got to do is buy him a case of cold ones and he'll mount them for free.lol
Skeeter, the Mudlites I was looking at are the XL with the deeper lugs in 25in. The main reason I was looking at them is when I used to race, ITP was always the best in whatever they offered whether it was tires or wheels. I really am not one to go out and find the biggest hole and try to get through it, but you never know when you'll need that extra traction to pull out Bullwinkle.hehe I realize that they don't wear very well on hardpan, but I seldom ride roads anyway. Proline, the reason I'm looking at a mud type tire is, a couple months ago, I was doing some turkey scouting with a buddy that rides a 2wd with Mudlites on it. He was going through stuff that I was getting stuck in before switching to 4wd.(keep in mind, my rear tires are in pretty good shape) Before that, I was considering an all-terrain knobby tire like the Carlisle Trail Wolf, but that experience changed my mind. Once again, I appreciate you guys replying and hope to hear more before I make my final decision. From what I've read and heard, its either the Mudlites XL's or the Bear Claws. Keep 'em coming.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

T/C, just an FYI so your aware 2 versions of 25's exist. Sound like your pretty similar to me, however we do hunt in the forest and that does bring in some more difficult terrain like muskeg or bogs. Other than the odd instance I have never really seen where my usage would warrant a true mudder tire, like SJ requires. So in my case thats why I have a winch for that odd situation....lol! If this is the style of tire you'll require then I think the Mud Lites are the better of the 2. My reasons are less vibration, good handling and over 1/4" deeper lug for when you do find that sticky hole (either by mistake or on purpose).

Seeing mounting them isn't a issue check out that link, when you factor no cost for shipping Mud Lites may turn out to be very close to the BC's price wise.

However either tire will provide you a noticable difference over stock or knobbies, so choose whichever fits your situation.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks stubble and PLB for the replies. As for winch Skeeter, I've got one, "just in case", too. Comes in very handy to hoist one up for skinning. Looks like I was looking at the right ones after all. after looking at several sites, looks like www.pvrpowersports.com has the best deal. free shipping to boot!! Thanx again for the replies.

Carter
Old 05-07-2005, 10:26 AM

He he he, wanna try em out, go here!! This'll break em in!!merango

Quick Reply: New tires for the atv?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.