Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

New tires for the atv?

Old 05-25-2005, 08:54 PM

Default RE: New tires for the atv?

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

kraw, how do you like the kodiak? What about the kimpe rear bumper, do you have the T3 front brush bumper on her?? Reason I ask buddy just picked up an 05' and we were playing with it this weekend at our camp. BTW I was impressed with it and the Mud lites he through on it. Any way we were looking at the info the dealer gave him one evening over a few and I said I kind always liked the kimpe stuff vs OEM...cheaper and usually not so gawdy!! Just wondering since you appear to have the same bike your thoughts...Thanks.

well, we have a Grizzly (it's my wifes bike ) The kimpex reare bumper is pretty nice looking IMO. I put it on because we do some rides where we have to push each other out of holes (too lazy to winch). Same for the front. The front is actually the Warn bumper. ONly thing I dislike about it is it's HEAVY. I also have the Warn traillight kit. I think I got it all from www.4atvtires.com Very nice people

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM
Oh yeah 1 more question do you have 26's on? If so, did you notice any loss in low end power/torque? Seeing you've ran stockers as well. He made mention about putting in clutch kit to regain is lower end and throttle response, just curious what you may have found or done?

Sorry to hijack your thread for second T/C !!!!

Lites are getting popular here as well now, the only knock is tread wear as I mentioned. Never heard anybody say they don't chew (I'm talking the 26" or the new 25 XL - 1 1/8" lug). I spoke with the owner of Daveys tree's(just happens to live down the lane from me), he runs a large fleet of quads putting on big miles per year he said the Lites are the guys favorite but a set may last 5000KM. He is trying the Dirt Devils XT's on few just to see if he can manage a year, he said so far feed back is good but still to new to determine longevity. Also uses bearclaws he said they last slightly longer but don't chew as well and they have had puncture issues in few cases. Any way I am not sure it really applies here but thought I'd pass on his comments.

As far as the stock rims, never had a problem personally either.

yep, 26" I didn't want huge monster tires, but I wanted the big lug. If they had the 25" in XL tread at the time, I would have gotten those. I did notice loss of power, but in low range, it pulls just fine. I've never done anything to it for performance, but people say you can pipe, filter and jet it to get power back... and they make clutch kits that help too.

hope that helps
Old 05-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

oops my mistake, just looked at the mudlite pic and it looked similar to his kodi!

Thanks Kraw for your reply. I think he's going with T3 front bumper/brush guard (not as heavy like you mentioned or as spendy) and a clutch kit.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:40 AM

I have to give the vote to the Super Swamper Vampires. I have owned the 2" and the 4". I haven't found anything to perform better and as far as lasting? The 2 inch are 9 years old and the 4 inch is 5 years old but they look brand new. They have been on every terain known to man.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Spike

Guys, I haven't been on the site for awhile so I am just reading your thread. First, I am not an ATV tire expert. Heck, I don't even know what my stock tires are. I guess I should go look. Whatever they are, they wear well, handle pavement and wear well, climb rocks and handle mud and clay very well. I do have a couple of questions for you tire experts though (not being sarcastic). First: When you go to a taller tire, you increase your balance point and therefore increase the chance to roll over. Next, unless I missed it, no one mentioned a radial tire. I know that Carlysle makes a radial and would assume that others do to. It would seem to me that a radial would lay a much better print than bias ply. How about someone weighing in on this.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

First: When you go to a taller tire, you increase your balance point and therefore increase the chance to roll over.
If you increase your tire diameter by 1" it results in an increase of 1/2" in the center of gravity which is very little.If you also increase the width by 2" per tire, the overall width of the footprint increases by 2" which increases sideways stability.The overall result is that the chances of tipping over are no more than with stock tires and possibly even less.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Spike

stub I disagree with your analysis. This can be measured. 1/2" might be more than you think and could make a big difference rolling or not rolling in a high speed avoidance maneuver (one you didn't plan on). I also think that too much fuss is made over tires on ATV's for general purpose use. I would venture to say that most ATV's are used in a variety of terrains. Of course these are just my opinions. I said I was not an ATV tire expert and I'm not. However, I have owned 5-6 jeeps, SUV's and several 4X4 pickups. I have been in 4 different 4X4 clubs and started one myself. I have off-roaded as a logger and for recreational purposes every since I was a teen. Terrain has always been an important factor in determining the right kind of tire to use for a 4X4 vehicle. Unless someone comes up with a more convincing argument than I have read on this thread, I will go to radials without an overly aggressive tread when it comes time to renew. Before any of you jump on this comment, remember that I am referring to general all around use for an ATV in varying terrain. If you are constantly in mud, sand, snow, etc., then that should be the primary factor for your tire choice.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

For those people that ride on pavement or established trails and don't ride in deep snow,mud or muskeg,tire selection is of little importance.Sort of like the people that buy 4x4 vehicles but never leave the road.However some of use use our atv's in very demanding conditions where tire selection is critical.Have you ever been in muskeg?Do you even know what muskeg is?Have you ever dragged a moose out of a swamp or an elk in deep snow.I have done these things with my atv and I have seen what a difference tire selection can make.Just because you don't have a use for better tires does not mean that others don't.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:55 AM

Radials are great, radial outlaws used to be around and they were really smooth. Now though the best radials are the itps holeshots and such. But in mud they stink. A 6 ply tire is so hard radial doesnt make alot of a difference.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Spike

Stub, you should read my post a little closer. I am originally from Florida. I logged in the swamps of Florida for 5 years. I did recreational four-wheeling in Florida swamps for a number of years. I was also a member of two clubs in Southern California and started a club in SC. The most varied terrain was encountered in Souther California (rocks, snow, mud hills, desert, mountains, you name it). You implied, although not directly, that I am one of those folks that buys a 4X4 and rides around on pavement. Let me assure you that you have NEVER been in worse terrain than I have. My statement stands. the tire thing for ATV's is overblown in most cases for the average user. If you read my post slowly, you will note that I mentioned the fact that if you spent all your time in mud, sand, snow, etc., then that should be the primary factor for your tire choice.

Like you, it amazes me that there are several folks riding around with jacked up units, aggressive tires and 450 HP that never gets off road. It is called the male "macho" image. I don't have a problem with that though. Whatever blows your skirt up I say.

Oh yes, I use my ATV to cut trails with and hunt. The terrain is very steep hills, red (slick) clay, creeks and mud. My on pavement use is 1/4 mile from my house to the woods. I also have a winch but have only used it to drag logs and hoist deer. So far, I have not been stuck. Perhaps that is because I know a little bit about off-roading.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let me assure you that you have NEVER been in worse terrain than I have.
I notice that you did not reply to my questions about muskeg which is very common in my area.If you have not been in muskeg,you have not been in worse terrain than myself.The jeep in your picture would have no chance at all in traversing muskeg due to it's heavy weight and smallish footprint which wouldn't distribute the weight enough to keep it from sinking .Also ,I did mention dragging elk and moose and since this is a hunting forum,many of us are required to drag these animals through rough conditions.Again you neglected to reply to my statements about dragging large game so I will ask,have you ever had to drag large game like moose or elk in rough conditions?

Quick Reply: New tires for the atv?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.