Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scope not holding zero.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just replace the scope with something else you would like to use. Plenty out there in a wide range of options. But before that, you can remount the scope to ensure it didn't come loose or moved on you. Check your notches to see if you have full range and also, do not introduce new ammo until you ensure the gun is properly sited beforehand. You have too many variables with damage being the first and foremost that comes to mind.

Next time also, don't wait, test it and file a complaint with the place as well. Will only provide you a paper trail if needed at a later date.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Strictly speaking, the statute of limitations for claims against the state probably hasn't run (2 years in most states, I think), though, as a practical matter, you might have problems proving your claim in terms of coming up with witnesses. Still, doesn't hurt to try. Then again, if we're talking about a cheap scope, might not be worth the trouble.

I understand why you would want to re-use the bases you already own, but you may be limiting your choices to the point that you will be passing on some good deals that would make up for the cost of changing them.

And if you can afford a Sako, put a decent scope on it.

Last edited by Murdy; 06-01-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murdy
Strictly speaking, the statute of limitations for claims against the state probably hasn't run (2 years in most states, I think), though, as a practical matter, you might have problems proving your claim in terms of coming up with witnesses. Still, doesn't hurt to try. Then again, if we're talking about a cheap scope, might not be worth the trouble.

I understand why you would want to re-use the bases you already own, but you may be limiting your choices to the point that you will be passing on some good deals that would make up for the cost of changing them.

I was thinking the same thing if he has a Sako!!! I was also thinking that there is no way anyone would get close enough to any of my rifles or other equipment in that type of a situation to cause something like that in the first place.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
Awwww shucks, Sako's aint that expensive I was kinda wondering why have a 50 dollar scope on a Sako. Maybe he blew his wad on the rifle.

I'm also of the mind to change out those bases and rings and put on a better quality scope without limiting yourself to 30mm tubes. Set it up with a nice Nikon or Leupold for a value price and still getting a top notch scope. A nice monarch 3 2-8x32 Nikon is around $300. Top quality glass and pretty dang bright for a 32mm OBJ. Nice compact little scope for the price.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Spike

Actually it was a $150 scope and after the cost of mounts, mounting and the $800 for Kenny's old rifle that was what I had at the time. I wish I'd waited and gotten a Konus as they seem a decent value for the money. It's a 1967 Forester heavy barrel.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SimonKenton
Actually it was a $150 scope and after the cost of mounts, mounting and the $800 for Kenny's old rifle that was what I had at the time. I wish I'd waited and gotten a Konus as they seem a decent value for the money. It's a 1967 Forester heavy barrel.
Eh, hate to tell you buddy but you got ripped off. The most expensive Aim Sports scope I can find online is one of their ACOG knockoff wanna be tacticool scopes for $149. And I can't find a single 30mm tube in their lineup. Their scopes go generally from $30 to $75 bucks except for the "tacticool" looking junkers which go from $90 to $149. It's a junker line of scopes for guys who have blown their wad on an expensive rig and didn't think about budgeting for good glass.

Never used a Konus but they have a fairly good reputation. I personally think you can get a scope just as good or even better for $100 or so bucks less than that scope you are looking at.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I was thinking the same thing if he has a Sako!!! I was also thinking that there is no way anyone would get close enough to any of my rifles or other equipment in that type of a situation to cause something like that in the first place.
At our ranges you leave your weapon on the bench, and step back across the line. The range officer walks the line and ensures that all the weapons are clear. If they have to move your weapon to check it they do. I've never heard of a problem though.

I'd like to mention that years ago I fell off of a mountain with my Ruger rifle, and old weaver scope. The cross hairs looked like an x as opposed to a cross. But the rifle still held it's zero.

Buy a good scope!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a Leupold VX1 4-12-40mm with a Duplex reticle on my .243 Sako Forester and it will drive tacks all day every day. A rifle like that definitely deserves a good scope like Mickey Fin stated!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Eh, hate to tell you buddy but you got ripped off. The most expensive Aim Sports scope I can find online is one of their ACOG knockoff wanna be tacticool scopes for $149. And I can't find a single 30mm tube in their lineup. Their scopes go generally from $30 to $75 bucks except for the "tacticool" looking junkers which go from $90 to $149. It's a junker line of scopes for guys who have blown their wad on an expensive rig and didn't think about budgeting for good glass.

Never used a Konus but they have a fairly good reputation. I personally think you can get a scope just as good or even better for $100 or so bucks less than that scope you are looking at.
THis was bough 5 yrs ago at the FIRST Westchester County gun show in TEN years at the County Center. The previous Saturday I'd had to accept my diploma in legal studies from the filthy rat claws of Schmuck Schumer. As a grad present to myself I snapped up Kenny Jarrett's old Sako and the first scope I could buy with the change I had left. The other present to moi was a Kimber Grand Raptor II from the Custom Shop.

It is 30mm and may be the last time they made such. Illuminated reticle and all.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I've got a Leupold VX1 4-12-40mm with a Duplex reticle on my .243 Sako Forester and it will drive tacks all day every day. A rifle like that definitely deserves a good scope like Mickey Fin stated!
I'm looking into a 4.5-16x Konus with bubble level and lighted mil-dot reticle for under $300. That HAS to beat the Aim Sport by a light year. The asst. RSO was ambling along and HAD to see the bolt open but "accidentally" bumped the bench and the rifle rolled off the sand bags. HE blamed me for having it so "precariously balanced" my keester.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.