Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Secret to Keeping Warm

Old 12-20-2008, 04:45 AM

Default RE: Secret to Keeping Warm

As long as you could find one that is quiet, I think that is an awesome idea.
ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

Just posted this in "Deer hunting"

I have battled cold feet for 15 years of deer hunting.
I had rubber boots with 3 layers of socks,
I had "OK" insulated hunting boots,
I had batt socks,
I had "hot hands" pocket socks.

Nothing really worked when sitting in a stand on a 20 deg morning,
Till I picked up a $10 kids camo sleeping bag at D!(k's.
Now I wear any $59 hunting boot, and once I am in my stand I step into the sleeping bag, drop 2 hot hands in, and sit down.
The sleeping bag comes up to My arm pits, so I can put my hands in if needed.

Now I do not get into my cover-alls till after the climber is on the tree and I am cooled off from the walk in,
This is like a "Poor mans heater body suit" and it REALLY works, and cost $10, not $300

Slack
Old 12-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Blakesdad17

As long as you could find one that is quiet, I think that is an awesome idea.
ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

Just posted this in "Deer hunting"

I have battled cold feet for 15 years of deer hunting.
I had rubber boots with 3 layers of socks,
I had "OK" insulated hunting boots,
I had batt socks,
I had "hot hands" pocket socks.

Nothing really worked when sitting in a stand on a 20 deg morning,
Till I picked up a $10 kids camo sleeping bag at D!(k's.
Now I wear any $59 hunting boot, and once I am in my stand I step into the sleeping bag, drop 2 hot hands in, and sit down.
The sleeping bag comes up to My arm pits, so I can put my hands in if needed.

Now I do not get into my cover-alls till after the climber is on the tree and I am cooled off from the walk in,
This is like a "Poor mans heater body suit" and it REALLY works, and cost $10, not $300

Slack
quiet and waterproof.

you want kids one too, normal bag is to big and long.

sew suspenders on bag.

i am using a wool blanket with hole cut in middle for my head.
then i use artic boot blankets.

it is little easier to move in treestand than the sleeping bag.

my wool blanket is large one around 87 inchs from woolrich on sale for 21 dollars.

i look like JERAMAYA JOHNSON
Old 12-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Down underwear is my go to garmet during extreme temps.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:50 PM

On cold days I wear Under Armour leggings and one of they're long sleeve shirts. (Cold Gear. They make different types if you weren't aware)

Over that I wear light weight Scentlok pants and jacket.

Then my over-alls and my field jacket.

Walking in, depending on how cold it is, I wont zip up my outer layer. Once I'm to my spot I zip up. I have a good warm hat too. To stay warm you need to keep your head warm.

Under Armour might be a little pricey but its well worth it. The stuff just doesn't wear out. It's also skin tight so it allows a free rang of motion if your climbing trees or doing whatever.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:55 PM

I wear loose fitting Muck boots, the rubber ones that are like 18" high and waterproof and one pair of wool socks and some hand warmers in there, my feet are warm. Put the hand warmers in after you are seated otherwise the sweat will make you freeze. If your socks or boots are too tight or not waterproof you will freeze no matter what you do except maybe donning a sleeping bag which is a great idea. Pick a good hunting spot! I find that when I see more deer I get warmer, on days when there is no wildlife I get much colder much faster.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

My dad and I have been using some homemade belts for the last few years and they work great. It is based on the "keep your core warm and the rest will stay warm also" pincipal. We had a family member make them for us. It is a belt with pouches in it for handwarmers. We are actually in the process of getting some made to sell locally. I will tell you what, if you hunt in cold weather they are a must. Plus the are lightweight and can be put on and taken off whenever you want. If you have a long walk to your stand you can just keep it in your pack until you are set up and then put it on, or if you like to sit all day you may not need it for the warmer part of the day so you take it off and then when itstarts to get cold later in the day you pull it out of your pack and put it back on. They are awesome. Let me know if anyone is interested in trying one, I am sure we could work something out.

Dan
Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

i like my wool blanket best in a treestand with my artic shield pull over your rubber boots.

sleeping bag is fine but you cant move around too much and i like to move my position of my feet around tree somewhat to get my circulation going and make me feel better and look a different direction.

that blanket keeps air off you too and hangs down over my knees..

i cut a hole in middle for my head.

you want the biggest one you can get, i think mine was 76 inchs on length at woolrich.

they have saleon them and i got mine for 21 dollars and it looks camo too, its INDIAN WEAVE design.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Spike

wool socks are key. just have 'em in your pocket til you get to where you're goin then throw 'em on when you get there. your feet control your body temp so make sure to keep 'em warm when its cold
Old 10-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Spike

I'd check out wool socks as they keep you warm even if wet, don't smell, etc.

One thing I found was that tight fitting socks kept my feet warmer in colder conditions than thicker but looser socks.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:04 AM
Spike

I have a pair of Muck Arctic boots I wore last season. Even with wool socks, my feet got cold while sitting at the base of a tree for hours. I was going to upgrade to the next level of Muck boots (I think the Arctic Pros) in a bigger size and double up on the wool socks, but instead I decided to get a pair of Icebreaker boot blankets and carry some hand-warmer packets to throw in there if the Icebreakers are not warm enough on their own. I'll hike in with my normal shoes/boots and throw those puppies on when I get to the stand or tree. Hope it works.