Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Secret to Keeping Warm

Old 11-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Secret to Keeping Warm

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

sproul you got some darn good ideas there. keep them coming as you remember them. Ill end up trying the sleeping bag one before its over.
i got a 100% wool blanket at WOOLRICH today on sale, it was 90 dollars.paid 27 dollars.

i cut a hole in middle for my headand it will be used on real cold days or windy cold days sitting all day.

check out sales a woolrich and free shipping .
Old 11-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

sproul you got some darn good ideas there. keep them coming as you remember them. Ill end up trying the sleeping bag one before its over.
jerameya johnson is on tv right now, he was MOUNTAIN MAN..

GUESS WHAT HE HAD ON WHILE RIDING HIS HORSE.

he had a WOOL BLANKET with hole cut out for your head.

weather looked to be about 20 below out.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL I bet I've watched that movie 25 times too.. Them darned ol injuns finally gave up.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

boy, weather here in pa is nasty today and for openingof deer season on monday.

i am having sinus cold again, no hunting on mondasy but will be back out tuesday.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing that really needs to be kept in mind is everything has to be packed in and out. Just the thought of packing one more thingdoesn't appeal to me.

There are 2 main things to keeping warm, one really. Keep your kindeys warm. The blood flows through them to all parts of your body. All those idea's of keeping your core warm are doing this. 2 chem heaters one over each will do it. I put them between my layers of moisture wicking layers which I also recommend.

The only other additional weight is a black ergo mat cut to fit the base of my stand. Stops the wind and all noise,and even on a cloudy day warms up. Ever hear of radiant heatings benifits? I camo paint it on the bottom.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nodog

One thing that really needs to be kept in mind is everything has to be packed in and out. Just the thought of packing one more thingdoesn't appeal to me.

There are 2 main things to keeping warm, one really. Keep your kindeys warm. The blood flows through them to all parts of your body. All those idea's of keeping your core warm are doing this. 2 chem heaters one over each will do it. I put them between my layers of moisture wicking layers which I also recommend.

The only other additional weight is a black ergo mat cut to fit the base of my stand. Stops the wind and all noise,and even on a cloudy day warms up. Ever hear of radiant heatings benifits? I camo paint it on the bottom.
i did not even go out today, boy, it was nasty,wind/cold.

just no fun and a lot of hunters sat thru it.

they are tough,for sure.

they did get a nice buck that i was after, but ,i cant sit thru that all day.

tuesday, same thing, i am not going out in wind at 30 degrees,after everyone is gone, out i will go for a few hrs each day in morning/evening.

i just dont feel good about hunting when you can see 5 people in stands all around you..

you folks ever get feeling that way, i cant seem to enjoy myself .

Old 12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes! Just drove 220 miles one way and left a place that was going to have 8 guys gun hunt 120 acres. Yikkes! A couple of them I wouldn't hunt with if I was paid too, and one of them set up 40 yards away from me for as long as I was there which was a day before they held any.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes! Just drove 220 miles one way and left a place that was going to have 8 guys gun hunt 120 acres. Yikkes! A couple of them I wouldn't hunt with if I was paid too, and one of them set up 40 yards away from me for as long as I was there which was a day before they held any.
its so bad here in my area, i have to walk backwards out of my stand in same snow prints dont laugh,thats old commanc trick i use all time now so they dont follow me to my stand.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sproulman

its so bad here in my area, i have to walk backwards out of my stand in same snow prints dont laugh,thats old commanc trick i use all time now so they dont follow me to my stand.

Sweet revenge, took one here not 600 yards away from my warm bed this morning. I'll be sure to let them know.

The one butt head last year showed up to help my brother (he needed none) drag out a deer he took there with gps in hand. My brother drug his deer, pack, stand, and gun out while the guy drug himself. Big help.

Just a guest so I can't complain.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

liner socks.....with wool over them, and not 10%wool....mostly wool...sometimes I walk in in just my liners/boots, and put my big socks on later...

I walk in without my bibs on most of the time...and no big jacket...carry that stuff in....otherwise i unzip and keep everything airy walking in, usually by the time you realize you're startint to sweat you're pretty well soaked, however if you do pay more attention to how hot you're getting you can stop and try to catch yourself before you get wet....

heaters are nice to have....but i try to avoid them.....

wind's a killer, can make 40degrees miserable....so having a good windproof shell....

Quick Reply: Secret to Keeping Warm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.